main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars 1313

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 3, 2012.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What meddling?

Did Lucas demand anything? As far as I know, Lucas was the one who got rid of a lot of "problematic people" that led to the TFUII short experience.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Alexrd, do you not understand that some of us are tired of Lucas meddling in everything? He is a driving force behind TCW's meddling and the reason why TFU completely changed how the Rebellion was founded,

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    As the article mentions, numerous insider sources stated that after the game was in development for three years, Lucas stepped in early 2012 and forced them to completely change the plot from the free-form Coruscant underworld exploration, to "answering" various "questions" from the movies, such as giving new backstories for Boba Fett, Han, and the Bothans.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Do you not understand that to claim something as true you have to back it up? And did you even read what I asked?

See, what you're saying is not true at all. This is what the article mentions:

But feel free to prove where is it stated that Lucas forced anyone to completely change the plot, or to removed the "free-form Coruscant underworld exploration".

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, so Lucas wasn't a driving force behind TCW's meddling and the reason why TFU completely changed how the Rebellion was founded?

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Actually I've never heard those claims and instead mostly heard, including from Lucas himself, that he doesn't really care about the EU.

SithLordDarthRichie and Alexrd like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Uh, it's right there in the immediate section after your own bolding.

1) Lucas intervenes to change the plot to one covering movie characters
    2) Lucas interventions were "not to be ignored"
    3) After that, they were left "without a concrete story or characters" as a result of that "backing from the man in charge"

Life and Zeta1127 like this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he "encouraged the developers to weave stories and characters from the TV scripts." He didn't force anything to anyone.

Their choice, and rightfully so.

No. Lucas wasn't there to give "concrete main story and characters". They could still use the ones they had originally planned, if they had anything. Lucas merely gave them "checkpoints" that could be or not related to the main plot since the game was already about the TV series.

Now, where is the "free-form Coruscant underworld exploration" that Lucas forced them to removed?

9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The phrasing of the sentence "were not to be ignored" implies persuasion. If it was their choice, it would simply say "were not ignored". "Is not to be" is an order. "Is not" is a fact.

Zeta1127 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it implies it comes from the creator of the franchise itself, and thus "were not to be ignored".

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Lucas is the boss, "encouraged" means he told them something he wanted and they did it. The article is worded so as not to make Lucas look bad, he has always favoured Yes Men who don't question many of his dumb ideas which is why stuff like this keeps happening.

That said, I like both TCW & TFU (minus part 2) and the stories they tell.

rumsmuggler and Life like this.
  13. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I agree with the general gist of your post, but on a personal level, I disagree with your characterization of AC3. I really don't get why people were so upset with Revelations and AC3. I liked them both. They weren't quite as good as 2 or Brotherhood, but they were good nonetheless. AC3 did miss the mark on a few story areas and I do think they tried to do too much in one game, but I still liked it.

I think a better example is the Call of Duty series. THAT is way more about quantity than quality. The CoD games used to have great campaigns. The last good campaign was Modern Warfare (original), but it was too short. Now they're almost unbearable. But, it's what the industry demands. The average player gets tired of games quickly and doesn't want to wait for the next great thing, especially when people have lost respect for quality campaigns/single player content.

I really want to get Tomb Raider; the single player looks great. But why have a multiplayer? Well, because people are obsessed with multiplayer; I think Halo and CoD have ruined the gaming industry in many ways. Gaming companies aren't really to blame, though. They're doing the smart thing; they are satisfying the biggest (yet stupid) demand. People have short attention spans and they want to teabag some other kid in a deathmatch.

Back to Star Wars. I can see that 1313's movement towards its demise is probably just as much about the aforementioned issues with the gaming industry as it is about Disney trying to make LucasFilm over-focused on the movies at the expense of everything else.

Life likes this.
  14. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I miss the games we had like 8+ years ago, those were the games, makes me sad to see the stuff they produce now, I haven't seen a SW game I've liked in so many years now, they're all so dull.

TOR, 1313, Kinect, TFU, none of it does it for me.

15. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Revelations added horrible things like QTE's and FPS Desmond parts. Those two things made me quit playing the game all together, I never finished it, and frankly don't want to. In my opinion, nothing has really changed in AC since AC2. It;s still essentially the same game, new paint job, new title, and a few new bells and whistles. People can say "ohh the story is new"....big deal. The game isn't. I am done with the franchise.

COD and AC are the same things to me. I quit COD at COD3. I don't play these stupid Modern Warfare games, any of them. Battlefield, Medal of Honor, COD. All the same games to me with different paint jobs. It's tired, just like the franchises are. Milked to DEATH.

I refuse to support the direction the industry is headed. I have no interest in franchises that spew out games every single year. Add multiplayer to every singe game, when it doesn't belong. Have Season Passes and redundant DLC. Pre-Order exclusives. Codes to enter right after you JUST bought the freaking game. I am done. I wont buy games for the first year or so they are out anymore. Utterly done. I will wait for Ultimate or GOTY editions, or get it for 20-30 bucks marked down. I REFUSE to pay all these greed driven fee's and tactics. There are quite a few games out or coming out I'd like to play, but I wont support the direction of the industry with my wallet.

I disagree that quantity over quality is EVER a smart move. EVER. When greed becomes your primary driving force, then your vision, art, and quality suffer. Look at Bioware since EA bought them out. Utterly fell from grace.

I have ZERO interest in the new Tomb Raider. Its a copy of Uncharted (Uncharted 3 was a HORRIBLE game) and more of the stupid "cinematic sequences" and quick time event garbage. Adding the tacked on multiplayer was just the news bit that utterly turned me off from it fully.

1313 : Putting it on hold is just another in a chain of bad moves coming from Lucasarts. I realize it was probably instigated by the Disney buyout, but 1313 could have brought Lucasarts back from the hole they have dug themselves into.

Life likes this.
  16. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow. Tell us how you really feel. o_O

17. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    So, people shouldn't say what they feel? :confused:

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I actually really enjoyed the Black Ops 2 campaign. I think it's a lot better than MW3 and it added new things, like the Tactical Ops missions, or whatever they were called. It mixed things up a bit and it even had a lot of variation in the ending depending on what you do in each mission. It didn't feel too short and the mix of past and future was good as they used different weapons. The multiplayer is also really good and vastly improves on MW3.

If you want to get Tomb Raider then get it. It is by far the best gaming experience I've ever played and it took me ages to complete. I played it pretty much non stop since launch and it still took me days and a night or two of non stop playing. If you don't want to play the multiplayer then don't. I've played it a bit and it's not bad. It's not great either but if I want multiplayer I've got other games for that.

Looking at the Bioware games I've played, I'm looking at some very good games indeed. Mass Effect has been great throughout, Dragon Age Origins was incredibly good too. I also enjoyed what I played of Dragon Age 2 as well. Not seeing this 'fall from grace' you mention. All good games, all since EA bought them. And I expect all their future games will be just as good if not better.

I have to admit that the multiplayer did put me off initially but then I realised that was a stupid reason not to get it. You don't like multiplayer? Then don't play it. I mean, why miss out on the greatest game of all time over something silly like that?

Life likes this.
  19. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Didn't say that. I mean that it sounds like you're a bit hot under the collar over this.
    I haven't played the Black Ops titles. I might eventually pick them up on Steam, which is how I'm starting to get my PC games more often. Quite convenient... if I have access to a good Internet connection. I question the BO titles simply because they seem to be more about intrigue and clandestine stuff, which isn't necessarily my bag. The MW campaign, on the other hand, was much more about the guys on the ground in war doing their jobs, which I prefer to see. I could be wrong about BO, but that's just the idea I get from the materials I've watched/read.

I will get Tomb Raider, just not right away. It's a very rare game that gets me to pay $60 up front for it. Amazon is my haven for game purchases, so I'll wait until they have one of their usual short-run $10 off specials and couple that with the Amazon gift cards I get for free from the legal reporter service I use at school. I got Assassin's Creed III a few weeks after launch for $25 brand-new from Amazon using the same strategy. :)

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Considering that 1313 isn't out yet, how do you know that?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, from the small bits we have seen, it's not very encouraging so far.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Really? All I've seen of it looks great. But then I'm a sucker for Star Wars and Star Wars games where you're not a Jedi/Sith/Force User/etc.

24. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    Actually, what you are saying is a person shouldn't have their own feeling and preferences....because that's just too much for you to handle obviously.

25. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    More discouraging news from LucasArts:

http://kotaku.com/5989910/leaked-star-wars-game-is-predecessor-to-battlefront-iii-source-says

Star Wars: First Assault, an fps similar to Battlefront, has been in production for sometime and was supposed to be released this spring, until Disney decided to put it on "hold." just like with 1313

From the article:

This does not bode well for LucasArts, and I am starting to get worried about its future and the future of Star Wars games.