main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Barriss Offee in The Clone Wars thread (general discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by barrissoffeefan, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I know, but whether or not Maul is working for himself or someone else is irrelevant, other than the fact that he still considers himself a Sith. Even if he claims to be an ex-Sith, I imagine Barriss would be suspicious and wary of joining up with him. Of course this storyline could still work, as if Maul is the one to break her out she'll initially be forced to acquiesce, I imagine. If this were to occur, perhaps this could lead to a future redemption arc for Barriss as she realizes that Maul is clearly not having the best interests of the Jedi or Republic in mind.

Paparazzo likes this.
  2. HallowedPhoenix

HallowedPhoenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 18, 2013
    In before Maul/Barriss OTP.

He's a half cyborg, half zabrak raised under the torturous tutelage of the greatest Sith Lord of all time, she's a fallen Jedi terrorist flirting with the dark side. Together, they're an unstoppable force (pun intended) of love and lightsaber flashing fury.

Passion.

Romance.

Sith Lightning.

Join Barriss Offee and Darth Maul as they journey through the galaxy, the force, and one another's passions together, next time, on...

THE CLONE WARS

Paparazzo likes this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    What the Frak?

Fraking Sithspit

Emperor's black bones

What in the nine corellian hells is this?

Paparazzo likes this.
  4. HallowedPhoenix

Feb 18, 2013
    The product of a ****** day and my needing a laugh.

Thank you for providing one via your response. I needed that.

QuangoFett likes this.
  5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    A Maul and Barriss team? Hmmm, that's not actually a bad idea.

6. HallowedPhoenix

Feb 18, 2013
    While I was joking about the romance, I actually think that could be cool to see.

A Jedi that has become disillusioned by the Order, and a Sith who might be coming to feel the same as well (it would be nice to see Savage's death have this effect on Maul). If that's the route they go, it could be interesting.

I doubt they will, but yeah, it's a fun idea.

QuangoFett likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was thinking about this, and I'm wondering if Barriss's behavior when she entered the courtroom might change his mind. Unlike Ahsoka who refused to plead guilty, now he's got a raving Jedi advocating the downfall of the Order. He might be able to manipulate that to his advantage if he keeps her alive for a while.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Barriss/Maul ship would never work. I mean... How could they ...?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Deviantart.

10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I refused to believe that Barriss acted of her own volition until a complete brain scan verifies that there is not a single shred of brainworm residing within her skull.

11. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh, they've done worse

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    DA isn't the only place you find that, just goto /co/ and find the clone wars threads. Though its mostly Ahsoka
    ,Chuchi, Or Barriss.

13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    All right, while I think a Maul/Barriss team up would be intriguing, I think there is ultimately more storytelling potential if she were to team up with rogue Jedi who turned as a direct or indirect result of her speech to the tribunal. The reason I say this is because having some Jedi turn against the Order because they agree with Offee's beliefs, if not necessarily her methods, would have a much greater impact on the war in general and will further serve to discredit the Jedi in the eyes of the public. Palpatine can then further use this to his advantage and justify the use of Order 66 in the eyes of most clones. Whether or not Barriss survives may not even matter too much to this theme; if she is executed by the Republic, she can become a martyr to these dissident Jedi, like Quango mentioned earlier.

Also, it is difficult to imagine that Barriss could have been working completely alone in her scheme. I feel that she might have had one or two accomplices who could have aided her in framing Ahsoka for Letta and the clones' deaths at the Republic prison. That could explain how she got past so much security, and why the sound wasn't working in Letta's cell; it was hacked. This brings me to another point, the introduction of more dissident Jedi to the series. In the EU there were a number of Jedi who refused to fight in the Clone Wars (see Mission to Ruul). The leader of this group was Sora Bulq, a Jedi Master turncoat later revealed to be in league with Dooku. What's interesting when I was looking through the trivia gallery for "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much" was that there was an unnamed Weequay Jedi in the funeral; in fact, he was the only unnamed Jedi on that list. Why even put him there in the first place if it did not in some way foreshadow his future significance, perhaps in relation to the formation of a schism in the Jedi Order? Based on the fact that Filoni likes to incorporate parts of the EU to suit his stories, I feel this Weequay Jedi could in fact be Sora Bulq, and it will be revealed to us in a future episode. Of course, there would have to be minor retcons to his backstory, but as long as Filoni stays faithful to his portrayal as a renegade Jedi, it could be a very worthwhile.

Perhaps we will discover in the future that it was Bulq who worked with Barriss and even helped plant the seeds of discontent of the war within the Order itself. It would retroactively make sense in explaining how Barriss got so proficient at Jar'Kai and aggressive, non-Soresu lightsaber combat; Bulq was known to wield two lightsabers, and practiced Vaapad, an inherently more aggressive form of lightsaber combat. While Barriss could still have masterminded the bombing plot, she could have been encouraged in her efforts by Bulq, who might even be secretly working as a double agent for Dooku, and a pawn for Sidious to sow chaos within the ranks of the Jedi.

If they ever explored this aspect of the EU in future seasons, I would be highly satisfied with their curious decision to make Barriss a villain. In the end, she will end up being vindicated because the Order is indeed crumbling from within, and Palpatine takes full advantage of the situation to eliminate the Jedi with Order 66. Thus, Barriss' rantings at the tribunal could have been the first of many dominoes to fall leading to the demise of the Jedi Order.

QuangoFett likes this.
  14. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Inquisitor: "Is it true you were under the mind control effects of Geonosian brainworms in the Second Battle of Geonosis?"
    Barriss: "Yes, it's true."
    Inquisitor: "Did you receive medical treatment for the brainworms?"
    Barriss: "I don't recall."
    Inquisitor: "Did you receive medical treatment of any kind?"
    Barriss: "For hypothermia I believe."
    Inquisitor: "Well, this means you will need to undergo immediate medical evaluation to determine if there is any brainworms still present in your central nervous system."
    (a brainscan is performed and brainworm DNA is confirmed to still be present in Barriss's brain.)
    Inquisitor: "After the medical results, we can only conclude that Barriss Offee may have still be under the effects of brainworm mind control during her attack on the Temple and her fellow Jedi."
    (Barriss collapses to the floor - sobbing).

Paparazzo likes this.
  15. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The trouble, I think, with Sora Bulq only revealing his defection now would be how it would affect the rest of the Republic storyline. This wouldn't require minor retcons. It would require rather substantial ones that would make the alterations to the fates of Barriss Offee, Adi Gallia, Asajj Ventress and Even Piell seem relatively insignificant. Bulq's defection and story arc involves Asajj Ventress in the role of Dooku's apprentice, and includes the story of Quinlan Vos and his double agent work and defection. That calls into question the effects of the portrayal of Ventress and Vos in TCW, particularly the former.

However, I like your idea of the events surrounding Barriss' treachery having an impact on other Jedi, resulting in another group of Jedi deciding to declare neutrality. Perhaps everything that transpires with Bulq and his later group of Dark Acolytes delegitimises the idea of Jedi defection or neutrality, before Barriss' actions tear off the scab and open the floodgates again further down the line. Perhaps this group of neutral Jedi is more earnest than Bulq but is alienated by a crude Republic/Order overreach. Whether under the leadership of a new interpretation of Sora Bulq or someone else (Barriss herself? an original character?) this group could definitely shake things up and bring events closer to ROTS.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wookiepedia still says that Barris remained in partnership with her master until Order 66! Somebody no-prize this! Without involving mind-control!

Also, yes, I totally want to see a Barris / Maul spin-off show. Star Wars version of Natural Born Killers or Bonnie and Clyde!

Paparazzo likes this.
  17. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Or even better the Good,The Bad, and The Offee. It's a show about Ahsoka,Chuchi, and Barriss.

rumblewagon and CaptainRex115 like this.
  18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think it would be cool to show Jedi defectors who do so because of Barriss's speech whether she becomes a martyr and breaks out. The Maul and Barriss idea mostly came to me from the way Palp exchanged a glance with her. Its like a vulture waiting for a sick animal to die. He's already cooking up plan for her. Because of that I think additional Jedi defectors would probably work on their own and not with Barriss. I would also be interested in seeing a Jedi join the CIS cause without being darkside or a total minion of Dooku's.

19. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    Yes, that would probably be the case. Whether she is dead or alive, Barriss' words will have resonated with the other Jedi. They even resonate with the Jedi Council. At the same time, her methods would be considered repulsive by these Jedi. She is beginning to flirt with the Dark Side, no matter how sympathetic or resonant her motives may be. Her greatest significance to them would be her raising of these issues in such a prominent way that they cannot overlook. Beyond the crushing effect that her betrayal has on Ahsoka, this would be her greatest legacy to the Jedi Order if she is executed for her crimes, or even if she rots in jail until Order 66. I imagine that an original character could serve as the most prominent of these defector (neutral and/or CIS) Jedi.

And with Palpatine, agreed again. It helps to look at things from his perspective. During the trial of Ahsoka, he seems to have everything panning out the way he wants. He may not know who the mystery bomber is, or even if Ahsoka actually isn't this bomber, but their handiwork has played right into his plans. It has done exactly what he described: sowed divisions within the Jedi Order and between the different institutions within the Republic. Ahsoka's conviction and execution would devastate Anakin, making him more vulnerable to his influence than ever before.

Then in march Anakin and the heavies, bearing with them the true culprit. Instead of a hapless Padawan, pleading her innocence to the last, Palpatine sees a fallen Knight, brazenly, eloquently and emotionally announcing her guilt to the court and making a heartfelt speech about the wrongness of the Jedi involvement in the war. This turns out to be the Jedi who was ruthless enough, powerful enough and engaged enough with the Dark Side to sacrifice dozens of people (military targets, albeit, but still pretty damn cold) for her political agenda, to use the Force to choke Letta Turmond across a building/city, to frame her best friend for her crimes and to at least keep her head above water in the fight with the Chosen One.

It's obvious that Palpatine is making plans. He always makes plans whenever curveballs get thrown his way, as he showed with Maul. Does his see Barriss as a threat, someone to be eliminated for the potential adverse (from his perspective) effect that her words could have on the Jedi, or does he genuinely see in her the potential for another apprentice, assassin, minion or Hand? As with Dooku and later Anakin, Palpatine could twist her relatively benign intentions for his own purposes. Are the effects of her words even wholly detrimental to his plans, or are they actually beneficial to them? As Barriss_Coffee said, it's possible that a token Jedi railing against the Order could be of some use to the likes of Tarkin.

If anyone but Palpatine were Chancellor, Barriss would be done for. She would simply get Ahsoka's sentence (death, presumably, or perhaps not; we didn't actually hear it) after another trial. However, having a Sith Lord as Chancellor would be a godsend for any dark-leaning Jedi traitor. He could find a use for her, as he was considering with Krell.

20. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    what means mindcontrol?

21. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I feel that Barriss/Maul will need a Team Rocket-esque motto in each episode.

22. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    And perhaps when their plans are foiled we can get a "TEAM CONTINUITY BLASTING OFF AGAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNN!"

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Dangit, I wish I could see these topics before there are about 10 pages.

24. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Barriss and Maul could be in the same prison block.

She could even say, "Call me, maybe..."

rumblewagon likes this.
  25. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    From Filoni's interview with IGN:

Largely confirmation of the simplest explanation for her actions in the S5 finale arc. Barriss isn't Sidious' apprentice or accomplice, though he might be aware to some extent of what she's planning. She develops and executes her scheme independently. Still, his partial awareness of events might have some relevance. Sidious was aware of Krell's slide into the Dark Side and decided to test his mettle on Umbara, without Krell ever being in on any such scheme. By not actively opposing her if he knows what she is planning, or even "manoeuvring things to see where that goes, as long as it's not a threat to him and his power," this might indicate that Sidious at least condones Barriss' scheme and is not taken by complete surprise when she is marched into the tribunal.

Interestingly, Filoni explicitly alludes to what was hinted at in the episode with his comment that Barriss has "fears about her own order, about herself," which prompt her to act. Her remark about the red lightsabres suiting her shows that she isn't unconscious of her inner darkness, and it seems that she carries out her acts of violence against the Jedi Order in part due to her understanding of this.

Perhaps this could be considered a "what if" scenario, of what would have happened had Barriss not so successfully resisted the Dark Side at the Battle of Drongar. I recall Circular_Logic mentioning this possibility.

There's no mention of any possible future appearances for Barriss (or even Maul) in this interview. The Season 6 trailer might reveal more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.