main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What Changed to Prompt Lucas to Outline an ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LunarMoth, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't think 10, 11 or 12 were ever really part of the main saga. That's why Lucas got rid of them. Here's an article from The Secret History of Star Wars website dealing with 10, 11 and 12, complete with quotes.

2. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Thanks for posting that Krueger, great info and a nice summary!

Krueger likes this.
  3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Back to the question here......

So we all know and understand that Lucas had plans/ideas for an ST either all along, or at least goind way back. That still doesn't cover the topic of this thread.

What we need to understand is that whatever the plan was when Lucas had an ST planned back then was radically changed when he made the choice to push certain elements from that ST plan into Ep VI so he could call it a day.

Let me re-phrase the original question:

What do you think Lucas changed about the ST so that he could move forward with it?

My theory, in short, is that he used the PT set up a replacement for Palpatine in the ST. The final showdown with The Emperor was pushed to Ep VI, when it was supposed to be later. This along with making Leia the sister instead of having Luke find his Jedi training sister later in the saga. The plan, as I understand it, was that Luke and his long lost sister, with the guidance of Ghost Anakin, would face The Emperor in the ST. Lucas had the opportunity with the PT to compensate in the story for having moved this showdown to Ep VI, opening the door to what will will now get in the ST.

4. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I read in Star Wars Insider, oh, I dunno, maybe 25 years ago, that GL had outlined 9 movies back in 1975, before he ever started actually writing episode 4. It was in the back of his mind the whole time

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    IMO the prequels made Palpatine more important, not less important.

Krueger likes this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think Lucas always intended to have the saga last forever, to be a part of it as long as he wanted and then to hand it off to capable hands. It was just a matter of how and when; there came a point when he didn't want dweebs that couldn't get a girlfriend trolling him on the internet any more, so he handed it off when it got too stressful. I also think he has always had a general outline of how it would go in his head (as far as the ST).

I think those saying it is for money are nuts, that stopped becoming an issue long ago for him. Also, the stuff about necessity is way off the mark; why would it be any kind of necessity for him? He has a enough to buy his own desert island, nothing he does is a necessity.

Obviously, the SW legacy is important to him.

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003

The whole combining things into Episode VI comes from Kurtz, who stopped being a part of Star Wars after Episode V and before Episode VI, not from Lucas. Ghost Anakin was from before TESB made Anakin and Vader the same person and was not part of the story once this was decided (see the Annotated Screenplays). Lucas described the 9 Episodes in 1983, around the time of the release of RotJ as:

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Indeed. I'm sick and tired of hearing that he's just "milking it" and so forth. He is beyond doing anything for the money. He has been for a fair while. Its just people's ignorance and cynicism. They can't grasp the notion that maybe he just really likes playing in the "sandbox" that is the SW universe. As simple as that. That's why he gradually got more and more involved in the CW. He obviously just enjoyed it immensely, and I think that enjoyment definitely inspired him to seriously think about what a ST would entail.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    =D==D==D= Like x1000.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucas isn't playing in the sandbox, this is his way of retiring from Star Wars. He's a "consultant", which is a nice way of saying that he's out of the way.

That's why he sold the property

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    or that he's the puppet master

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No, I think Lucas wanted to pass it along for future generations and retire to focus on philanthropy and smaller projects. That's what he has said over and over. He's done., by his own choice.

Fans are having a hard time accepting this.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    he didn't want the day to day work associated with making the movie, doesn't mean that he didn't want to control story ideas.

Didn't Kathleen say that he was her Yoda and that they would go to him with questions? Doesn't sound like he's completely done as you suggest.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

That's a consultant. And they are being respectful of him as a man. But, all parties involved have been clear on this issue. Lucas is not running the show, he's not calling the shots. He sold Lucasfilm and is in semi-retirement.

Again, people are having a hard time with this, it's pretty basic. Lucas is done with big movies.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Not yet done, am I."

16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Done, he most certainly is

Here's a quote from the man himself

http://collider.com/star-wars-7-george-lucas/

The guy is Don Corleone, handing the family off to Michael. He's done.

Rawne likes this.
  17. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    What's left? What's left? What about a Howard the Duck sequel?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was joking.

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Cool, the point is the same

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    done making big movies isn't the same as done guiding the movies.

Right, that's what a consultant is. Some one in remi-retirement that contributes to how things run/operate, which is not "being out of the way."

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    He's not getting involved in how things run and operate. That's the point. Fans just don't want to accept this, he wanted to retire. He wants to focus on other things, he's out. Anyone who thinks he has a big hand in what's to come, is wrong.

Seriously, what more does the man have to say to make it more clear? What more does Disney have to say about their control over the title? Lucas is out.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Touche.

23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think Lucas will have say on script approval, and big story ideas(even though Ardnt is writing the script, the story is Lucas). Other than that he may have some influence on ILM, design house stuff of the production at his leisure(the stuff he probably only really cares about anyways). But that is about it I would suspect...

He won't be there to day to day during filming at all I would guess. I think his hand will be felt a bit during pre/post production and nothing more..

24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

He doesn't have say, that is the point here. The Disney people are in control. They may ask his opinion, but he has no say. The Disney people have made it clear, they are in control of the property. It's not a grey area. I think people here just don't want to believe it.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/05/iger-disney-will-protect-star-wars/

This is not speculation, George Lucas is in retirement by his own choice. People aren't getting this because they don't want to accept it. He is out. Lucas sold the franchise because he WANTED OUT.

25. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Sure, he isn't running the day to day operations for the franchise. But episode 7 is based off of his story treatments. He will have story credit for the film. The script is based off of his outlines. To say that he has NO involvement would be equally disingenuous. He is going to have a say in certain things. Once episode 7-9 is finished Lucas will have no involvement with Star Wars.