main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Ahsoka Stand Alone film???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthMateous, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree, if I had the choice of a new version of TCW centered around Ahsoka's adventures PAST ROTS, or a stand alone film, I would go with the TV series. Politically there would be a lot of Ahsoka Film Haters. I think if she is PART of a film series, then it would be ok. It would have to be a cool underworld type movie where she is figting crime in the loser levels or saving people on other planets from oppression, but a film would have to be based in that setting. The more I hear about it, the more I want Ahsoka to stay on TV. TV is where it's at. One film every three years? Or new episode once a week for half a year? No brainer.

I hear you on the Ashley front. Only she could do an Ahsoka. My guess is CGI would be even better so we could see a live action Ahsoka that looks real life but somewhat like her TCW character. Voiced by Ashley of course. But like I said, I prefer her once a week, not once every 3 years.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    That's a big assumption.
    It wouldn't necessarily have to open up his past at all.

He'd be a bit old by then don't you think?

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    But it's what Disney will most likely do.

With current technology, that problem can be rectified, i.e. Tron: Legacy.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Sorry, no, you missed the point. It helps in these conversations to pay attention to context clues. For example, "for the sole purpose of emotionally fueling a dude."

There's a difference between killing a female character and fridging her. They wanna kill Ahsoka to progress Anakin's fall? Fine. I think character death is always a lazy choice, but fine. But you can do it in a way that doesn't just turn her into a mere object for his fall to the Dark Side. Again, yesterday's episode was the perfect example. Both characters were served.

There's no reason that Ahsoka can't die heroically in a manner that still fuels Anakin's fall. But suggesting that she only existing for rage-fuel is offensive and myopic of her overall role in the show.

5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I didn't miss your point. I just don't think you made a good one. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice and pay attention to context as.neither the show, nor any poster here has suggested anything along the lines of 'fridging' (and, personal note, these tropes and idioms are so played out) Ahsoka's character. I didn't read where anyone stated that they were against Ahsoka dying 'heroically,' only that the character of Ahsoka Tano, in dying, would serve Anakin's story (which it clearly would). You're arguing against a position that nobody holds.

Like it, or not, the moment TCW was set between Episode's II and III, the show was subject to the PT's overarching story arc (which is, of course, more than anyone, Anakin's story). As such, it stands to reason that any character close to him, any situation which hits home with Anakin, will be viewed through that lens. I stand by my assertion that gender has nothing to do with the matter. If all else were equal, but Anakin's apprentice had been male, the writers would be faced with exact same scenario which applies today.

That;s simply how I see things. We can just agree to disagree.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  6. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't think they'll do the whole Ahsoka Tano film. She's great for kids and teenagers, but not really for adults. And Star Wars saga movies are supposed to appeal to everyone (excluding the Holiday Special fiasco). And plus since she's a Togruta, so all the makeup and head-tails and whatnot would be extremely difficult to do, needing extensive work each day and a lotta money. You see people acting that way in the background of the movies but they don't have to be dressed up every day and aren't the main character. If the makeup artists screw one thing up, the audience is gonna see it.

And there's no way they'll make the MAIN character a CGI-enhanced person like they did with Jar Jar or the clone army.

7. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    With what just happened at the end of Season 5 of TCW...a movie about her just become MUCH more likely. I would LOVE a movie about her. She is my favorite Jedi.

She is about 15 now. So, i fail to see how a movie would not appeal to adults. She has grown up quite alot. The movie would could have her about 18 a few years later after the Jedi purge.

8. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Ashoka movie = LAME.

darthbarracuda and stormcloud8 like this.
  9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011

10. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah but the fact is that everyone would either A.) know about Ahsoka's background and be turned off because of the child-targeted show, and B.) They are confused who Ahsoka is since she has no connection to the Skywalker lineage except for her being Padawan to Anakin. And then they would find out about Ahsoka's background which brings us back to A.)

stormcloud8 likes this.
  11. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    A) It's a show targeted towards all ages, as was the OT and B) her backstory could simply be mentioned. In one scene you could have someone say, "Ahsoka was the Padawan of Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars; she left the Jedi Order after being wrongfully accused of a crime she didn't do."

darthbarracuda likes this.
  12. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Why do people feel the need to project their personal tastes and opinion on everyone else? The main reason why naysayers say this wouldn't work is by using incredibly grand assumptions. I'm not particularly rooting for this, but I wouldn't flat out be against it either. There are other stories I would rather have told, but I think there could be some potential here. From my personal experience it seems plenty of adults watch the show. I would actually be really interested to see some basic demographics on viewership rather than simple assumptions. I plan on watching it myself when time permits.

There is only one true fact in your comment here. Not everyone would be turned off by Ahsoka. People on this thread already prove your "fact" to be false. The only true fact is your attempts to project what you think is best for a spin off films existence on everyone else.

13. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh hell nah.

14. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree. Even though I've been around since the 70s and have known about the Skywalker family since 77', I'm actually thinking the "Anakin story" is beating a dead horse. We all know the Star Wars saga is about the Skywalkers, mainly Anakin, and I'm assuming these next 3 films will be of his children and grand children. Ok, 9 films on the Skywalkers (and Solos). Does anyone care to see anything else? I do.

I think Ahsoka is the perfect vessel for it. She's been sufficiently written out of TCW. And IMO, having her dead would merit MORE discussion in ROTS not less. Ahsoka left the Order, Anakin, Obi-wan and the council accept that, there doesn't need to be a dead Ahsoka to explain why she's not in ROTS and beyond.

Now with her doing her OWN thing outside of the "Skywalker Saga" we can get new places, new characters, new everything. Everyone is all excited Abrams is bringing us "something new!", but to me it's the same old thing: Luke Skywalker this, Luke Skywalker that.

Red Foreman says it best:

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't think that's what Law and I were discussing, specifically, but I do think you make a good point about the new films outside of the ST.

Episodes 7-9 are rightly serving as a continuation of the story of the first six films, but beyond that, I think we should expect new storylines, characters, plots, themes, the whole shebang. I mean, really, the whole point of this thread is about gauging the membership's interest in just such a production starring Ahsoka.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  16. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I would like to see Ahsoka as a part of Vader's story. Maybe a TV series set between RotS and ANH. There is 19 years canon between the two. They could show Vader pursuing her, and her realization of who Vader really is. I think that would have the most emotional impact.

17. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I know, but you guys had good points so I quoted them :) I think I was kinda agreeing as well.

As for gauging the communities feeling, count me in for more Ahsoka content! My problem is it isn't that she's "not worthy", it's more of can a "film" accurately give her what she needs to be successful? I would prefer to see her in her own TCW spin off and have her every week, than in a Live Action movie every 3 years. She's a great character that needs more love, maybe more love than a whole film.

18. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    This idea could work! He initially peruses Ahsoka for 19 years. That could be the theme of the series. But I only think it could work if done like Wile Coyote going after Road Runner, from the stand point he never catches her. The only thing that stops his relentless pursuit of her is he discovers he has a son, and realizes that that Ahsoka is a lost cause and he'd be better off going after Luke.

19. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    "the fact is" Nothing. Most people who know about Star Wars know about Ahsoka. It's not like it's uncommon. Anymore than how every single other movie has introduced a new character. Did Darth Maul get an intro scene with back story? No. What about Jar Jar? No. Boba Fett? No. Were you "confused" when you saw them on the screen for the very first time? No. We found those things out as we went along in the rest of the movie/movies. It's not like people cant Wiki it when they get home. And, it would also garner interest in people to watch the past 5 seasons of TCW to find out her back story fully.

And, the show is NOT aimed towards kids only. Tell me that the last Darth Maul trilogy episodes was aimed at kids.....No.

20. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    The fact is, great post!! I agree, people need to be more open to new characters. The other funny part is if you think of the saga, it is basically 13 hours of content. TCW is close to 40 hours of content (and that's being conservative). For people that don't watch TCW, they are missing out on 4x the SW content.

I agree, I sometimes don't know how this show is even targeted to children. Some of the dialogue seems FAR above a child's comprehension. There is a ton of violence. Not just shooting, but talking be-headings, dismemberment. Then just the dark nature of the show. Lastly the story-lines get pretty complex in the arcs. There was no way the Season finale was targeted to children. All I know is more than 50% of people I know that watched it cried at the ending.

Like I said, its not if Ahsoka is deserving of a film, it's is a film good enough for her character.. I don't think her future stories can be told in just a film (or 3)..

21. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    Growing kidz with Lux. [face_sick]

Living in exile like Obi WAN and Yoda. [face_sick]

Living as the former owner of Leias slave bikini. [face_sick]

Being frozen in carbonite like Han Solo. [face_sick]

Realy i cant see any possibility how Ahsoka can survive That Timeperiod.

22. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Yoda - "No, there is another"

What if they put a spin on that line so it didn't mean Leia after all?

And Phatdude, I've liked ur facebook page

THE_PIED_PIPER and phatdude1138 like this.
  23. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    i dont like where this shoehorning is going.

24. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm with you there. But I do like suggesting things for the sake of conversation ;)

25. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    JJ Abrams should make her the "John Harrison" of his next SW movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.