main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation How Would You Have Luke Die?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by EviL_eLF, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm just saying that we can't force these characters to stay around cause we're too scared to let go of them. Its kinda time to let go *and I don't care how its done. As long as it fits the story and gives our new heroes motivations then I'm fine*. I'm not saying ALL should die but I think Luke and Han are inevitable and their deaths could definitly lead to being our new heroes motivation to want to defeating the new villain. Its sort of inevitable that the old cast won't survive the new films *sad I know*.

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't know that everyone who wants something other than a retread the likes of, for example, Luke the mentor dies in VII, just as Obi-Wan the mentor in IV and Qui-Gon the mentor in I is "scared to let (character x) go." Rather, folks are just thinking outside of the box and maybe wanting a different fate for certain characters with an eye towards seeing the best story possible being told.

As to your second point that I quoted, as far as I'm concerned, one of the more wondrous things about the ST (as opposed to say, the PT) is that almost nothing is inevitable at this point.

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    How he was meant to die:

Darth Claire and Seagoat like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As I said earlier, "passing the torch" does not necessarily have to equate to dying. Certainly the "big 3" must be gone by the end of the ST, but killing them off is only the easiest/laziest way of doing that.

5. DarthBob487

DarthBob487 Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2013
    Does anyone really want to see the big 3 die?

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hells to the yes.

ShabbaTheHutt likes this.
  7. Olivia493

Olivia493 Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2013
    I'm 100% sure someone already said this but I'd have him die peacefully...like in the new jedi temple but he can still contact the people that are closest to him.....like Obi-Wan

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I must say I do agree with some of the points here, however I wouldn't mind if at least Luke died. perhaps the sacrifice element wouldn't be so bad. besides, how wonderful would it be to see Luke finally become a force ghost himself!? I agree if all three of them were to die that would be overdoing it-and I do think that people making the main characters in movies die at the end has become something that is almost expected.

Originally, things like that were done for shock value in the story. but now, it's not shocking anymore because it's happened so often it's just become cliché...

Still I think that Luke dying could be quite Effective. Or Han, that could be big too. but definitely not all three of them-that's just over the top...

9. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I do not think that Luke's death is inevitable. However, I would favor a peaceful death at the end of the trilogy should it occur. I do think Han will die (Harrison Ford will likely only sign for one movie). Disney has to win the fans trust. I do not think the mass extinction of the big 3 is the way to do it.

Darth_Pevra and TreborSabreon like this.
  10. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    If Luke has to die, I agree with you, Olivia. As far as I'm concerned, Luke has earned himself a peaceful death.

edit: Oh, and yes, should Luke have to go, he must return as a Force ghost.

lbr789 and Olivia493 like this.
  11. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I can safely say that George has worked in verses in his trilogy.

Obi wan dies. Qui gon dies. Both Mentors.
    Luke Blows up death star. Anakin Blows droid ship.
    Ewok Battle, Gungan Battle.

and so on and so forth

I am sure we are bound to see a theme repeat itself in the ST.

Problem is that if George wants to go the familiar route of repeating his themes. He is gonna set himself up for an epic fail. Do you really want to have this?

Luke dies in first movie ( for some reason ) comes back as force ghost for rest of trilogy.

People are gonna freak out and just complain that if they wanted to see that kind of thing they would have just needed to pop up the original movies in the dvd and it would have been more interesting.

That is why i hope to dear god he stays away from all that mythos, heros gotta lose mentor philosophy crap and come up with something different.

You can only re-invent the wheel so many times before someone picks up that you are trying to fool them. I have no clue of how he is gonna go about doing his story but please avoid repeating the same themes. Or if you want to do that then scrap everything and do a complete reboot...

plus if he dies in the ST, would it not ruin the EU stuff that should be cannon anyways?

Episode Swag likes this.
  12. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Someone had a brilliant idea of how he could go out:

When its time for him to go, make him look so old and weary that his face looks almost dead. That way it will be easy to accept his passing. In any case, hes gonna die soon. Now here's what he does as his final act.

He hands his lightsaber to his apprentice and says some sentimental things. Then he turns around and walks towards the binary sunset with the other force ghosts while the force theme goes all out. Never will he be seen again, at least in his physical form. This should be the final scene of an episode, preferably nine.

Han should go out with a bang, preferably in the Falcon. Leia is the only oddball here to me, not sure the best way to go out for her. She could be slain in battle as a Jedi or assassinated as a senator. Could go either way.

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'd prefer it if Luke were to just quietly retire to a moisture farm on Tatooine.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That would be great. I whole-heartedly feel that Luke should spend his final years off-screen in contemplation of the will of the Force and wouldn't it be both ironic and poetic for Luke Skywalker to see that after a lifetime of adventure, the very world he so desperately wished to escape from in his youth turns out to be the one place in the galaxy he should finally find peace.

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, that's my thinking exactly.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Actually... yes. All the great stories use death of great characters for plot and impact and to provide a complete emotional roller coaster. The death of one, two or all three would have major implications on the story and provide emotional outlets to give the story greater impact.

Not at all actually. Considering the age of Mark Hamill, it's easy to see him being an age appropriate Luke that is actually beyond any of the EU that is out there right now. Don't see how Luke dying would interfere at all.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, I don't know if I agree that all the great stories go that route, but I could see the death of one of the Big 3 (I'd go Han Solo, given Ford's apparent inclinations) really ratcheting-up the drama, yes.

That said, if the writers bring us the deaths of all three, it would be, for me, a clear-cut case of overkill. Literally.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    We can just go with this:

Who shot Luke?

Like in Dallas ahahahah

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope they all make it through Episode VII and then Episode VIII ends with Han sacrificing himself. It would make for a very somber climax similar to ESB and would be a great cliff hanger. I think Luke should die in Episode IX either peacefully or he willingly becomes one with the Force after battling the villain (the main villain should not kill him) and Leia should survive the whole trilogy.

DARTHSHAME and appleseed like this.
  20. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    Exercise Ball!

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I like the idea that Han dies in a manner that echoes Ep. V. I think that if Luke dies it should either be in a manner similar to Obi-wan in Ep. VII or to Yoda in Ep. IX.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I don't care as long as Lando lives

Plebeian and Roberto Calrissian like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke dies from some horrific lightsaber malfunction.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I never, ever want to see Luke die.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  25. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    One-Arm gets ahold of the Muur Talisman and sends Wampaghoul assassins to kill him.