main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Kitty has found a nice place to sit! Their criteria for "comfortable" generally doesn't mesh with mine, I've found.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I had a cat who would sleep on his head. While on the windowsill.

And another cat I had, Mama Kitty (I didn't name her), was just odd. She was standoffish to most people, except for me. If I was sick, she'd follow me around the house and watch me. She wouldn't get anywhere near me, she would sit just out of reach and stare at me. I called it her "death watch." She also had something against one of her kittens, a perfectly healthy kitten. She'd take this poor kitten off into the woods and drop him off, and I'd have to get Mama Kitty to lead me to him. One hunt led me through the swamp just to rescue that poor kitten. She would also type randomly when my brother did his homework. He was taking an online test and was stuck on one question, so Mama Kitty ran across the keyboard and answered it. Correctly. Then, one day, she left my brother a message: "go to" And then stared at my brother when he asked her "go to where?" as if he should have known.

3. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    There's a certain "quoth the raven, 'Nevermore'" element to that story...

Iverna likes this.
  4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Quoth the kitty, "Go to."

Alexis_Wingstar and moosemousse like this.
  5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey, why didn't someone page me this turned into a cat-lover post-your-picture thread - I've been here all along!

Mine (sorry, but just gotta)

Sam, the dearly departed, (18, died on Halloween):

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

and Kahlua: [​IMG] and Brandy: [​IMG]

and both of them: [​IMG][​IMG]

Iverna and Jedi_Lover like this.
  6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I have no digital pics of the cats I had. Their names were Shadow, Cosmo, Pepper and Panda. One we gave away, the next two got run over by the same neighbor, two years apart. The fourth we gave to a nice family before moving.

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    :( Poor kitties. My cousins lost four cats to a neighbour who never looked where he was driving. And one to a school bus. :(

I love when kitties wash each other, it's so cute.

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Valairy Scot -- I love the cats. That photo of Brandy standing up on her hind legs is cute. She looks like a panther. And then the one with Brandy with her paws on Kahlua's head looks like she is doing a Vulcan Mind Meld. [face_laugh]

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Funny but true - I literally read your post and Colbert showed a clip of Obama's "Jedi mind meld" comment! Oh man - he's really going into the SW and S Trek comments and Benkenobigate rather than Benghazi-gate.

I've never had 2 cats at once before and they are so funny at times. Both are females, roughly 1 - 1/2 years old. Brandy likes to be held (not always) but adores playing; Kahlua is far more aloof but will jump into my lap with little provocation. I literally got Kahlua a week and half after Sam died and Brandy exactly a week later - it has helped fill the "Sam void." 18 years is hard to get over - darn, I miss my talker companion: I don't know who was the bigger motormouth - Sam or me. These cats "squeak" - Brandy's meow sounds like "ow, ow."

This is them "fighting." [​IMG]

and one playing hide and seek: [​IMG]

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I saw that on Cobert and I said to my husband, "Well there is such thing as a Jedi Force Meld, maybe he was thinking of that." But then I realize....no the President wasn't thinking of that. :rolleyes: And then I was embarrassed that I knew there was such a thing as Jedi Force Meld. NERD!

Note: My 13 year old son was looking over my shoulder and said, "Mom, you are not supposed to start a sentence with AND." Stang! I am getting criticized about my writing online and offline. :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Eh, I like to start the occasional sentence with "and." And I've recently read there just because it's verboten in Latin, language is always evolving.

So I allow it now.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    And English isn't Latin. And. And. And. But! :p

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's Germanic, so throw into the mix some clausal reversals.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    English is a weird mix of Anglo-Saxon, German, and Norman French. Along with anything else we feel like absconding with!

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ohh, thievery. I feel so - so - criminal.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So, I saw "Jack The Giant Slayer". Ewan McGregor's character says "I've got a very bad feeling about this." I was the ONLY one in the theatre who laughed.

J_Girl likes this.
  17. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, now I have to see that.

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    It's pretty good. I'm a huge POTC fan, so was amused that Blackbeard and Davy Jones are in it.

19. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    While those are definitely compelling reasons... you had me at 'I've got a very bad feeling about this."

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    J_L - I did the same thing when I herd what the president said. I was at work, luckily I managed to refrain from saying it out loud. :p And I think starting a sentence with and is sometimes justified.

I've been on the fence about seeing Jack the Giant Slayer, but now I think I'll have to. :D

21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey guys. I've been a bit MIA with school, a nasty cold and pinerest (my stupid aunt got me hooked).

I once had a full out argument with my grade 12 English Literature teacher about starting a sentence with 'because'. I think, if you can start a sentence with 'due to the fact', you can start it with because. She gave me hell. I also got into it with her about putting the period after the quotation marks (like I did above). She said you ALWAY HAVE TO PUT THE PERIOD (or comma, etc.) before the closing quotations, but I learned in my history class the other day that in some cases, you can put it after, but it's only an UK thing, and now it's seldome done. BUT YOU CAN DO IT. I actually ended up dropping the class. I disliked her immensely.

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Drives me nuts when people put the period inside quotes when it isn't dialogue. Of course, knowing it's a UK thing doesn't surprise me, as I spell things that way most of the time, too, even though I'm American.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It drives me nuts when people put the punctuation outside of quotes, because all my style guides say not to. I was brought up on AP and MLA style guides.

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Semi-colons go outside quotes.

/I think.

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I put question marks outside of quotation marks if the quote isn't a question but the whole sentence is. For example:

Did you know he said "life is a duck"?

Same goes with periods if the sentence it ends isn't speech. For example:

He just said "life is a duck".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.