main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Cancer overthrows Hugo Chavez in CIA-backed coup.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The difference is that one is Stalinist, one is not. Neither of them have anything to do with Marxism.

2. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Jimmy Carter's statement was kind of nicey-nicey and ambiguous. He seemed to be saying "Good on with the social programs, but boo to the dictatorship."

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you see no material differences between material conditions and political structures of venezuela and the material conditions and political structures of north korea. really?

4. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Fair enough.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Let's hope the selling of oil cheaper to neighbours continues, as do the programmes in place to aid the people. But perhaps more of the nation's oil wealth going to the people would be nice given that unemployment and poverty are still widespread.

RC-1991 and V-2 like this.
  6. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    That's certaintly an understatement! Compared to what went on in the past, Bush was pretty hands-off.

I don't think Chavez was evil, but he was certainly not a saint. (My favorite moment was when the King of Spain told him to shut up. Heh)

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    golly gosh gee willickers aw shucks

8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    He was one of my favourite characters in politics.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Whoa, Jimmy Carter being nicey-nicey and ambiguous? Who'dda thunk it?

yankee8255 likes this.
  10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hah!

KMFDM? Wow. Takes me back to high school.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why? Just because we make nice with one objectionable régime doesn't excuse the other. Nor does his economic nationalism (should you be in favor of such) excuse his other shenanigans.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    When discussing "objectionable regimes" it does well to critically compare them. It's not apples and oranges, it's closer to night and day.

As for his other shenanigans, well, I wholeheartedly approve of the charity he showed to some of the more impoverished Native communities here in the US, like the Cheyenne River Lakotas.

Our own government sorely lacks in that department. Even the Cobell settlement is rather tawdry by comparison.

V-2 likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I guess what I don't get is why there has to be a comparison. If you want to argue for relative awfulness, fine, but that's different from saying that "so-and-so shouldn't be criticized because somebody else is much worse."

And the shenanigans I refer to were his so-called constitutional reforms, better known as "illegally dismiss/intimidate all the judges that don't agree with me."

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  14. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I can respect that. I guess I was referring to what you referred to as relative awfulness, and I truly believe the level of suck and the level of good should be measurable and valid considerations.

15. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Franklin Roosevelt schemed to pack the Supreme Court and interned thousands upon thousands of Japanese Americans, and yet he is (rightfully) considered the greatest American president of the last century.

Chavez was indeed no saint, but he improved the living conditions of impoverished millions while telling the international cartels to take a hike. For this, he has my respect.

V-2 likes this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Chavez...the guy just did not respect the idea of democracy.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Prices at Citgo stations are lowered to halfmast in memorial, which means a gallon of gas is now only roughly 15% higher than the stations across the street.

18. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    CIA backed coup? I would have thought that a terrorist cell was behind it.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    FDR was also a tyrant who had no respect for those who disagreed with him, no regard for checks and balances, and a man who viewed the constitution as akin to toilet paper. His positive achievements absolutely should not make him above criticism.

My point about Chavez is simply that the complaints against him have merit and should not be ignored because of unrelated factors.

SithLordDarthRichie and Blithe like this.
  21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Thanks for reminding my why I hate Jimmy Carter so much.

Yeah, that billionaire sure cared about his people oh so very much.

EDIT. Here's the thing with Chavez: has he stood up to foreign countries and company's who would have plundered his country's oil reserves for their own profit? Clearly yes, and that would be commendable. But has he actually improved living conditions for his country's poor, or has he in fact only shifted his country's wealth away from those foreign "plunderers" and his own country's wealthy and into his own pockets?

22. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Wait are you being serious about CIA cancer? I've heard some crazy people so I can't tell if you're being serious

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That's what Venezuela's VP accused the US of doing: Giving cancer to Chavez through poison and then kicking out the last two US attaches from the country via this accusation.

24. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    'Plundering' implies theft without recompense. Pretty sure that mining companies of all kinds pay royalties to the government. Thus, it is not plundering.

25. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Yeah I know he said that, was just wondering if anyone here - a real, seemingly sane, person - thought that was a legit.

It's all a bit Watchmen film, isn't it?