main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Season 5 [[(major spoilers & video clips!!!)]]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Coric, Sep 2, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I ended up polishing off ep.13-20 a few days ago, and I really liked what I saw. Clearly, it continues Clone Wars somewhat odd trend like last year where all of the best stuff comes right at the end. Not that the middle arcs were bad but considering how much potential this show has, and when it clicks like it did for those last 2 arcs it's gold, but it is a bit bewildering how middling the 2nd-4th arcs were.

But I did like the conclusion of the droid squad arc, if only because it had some comedy stuff in it (the one droid not being able to get over the doorway was cool) and little moments like impending doom of the bomb-ship heading towards the unsuspecting Jedi, and even the explosion itself was very perfectly done. And I kinda dug the frog guy, just because the vocal performance was so out there. This is an example of how many different styles of stories can be told in this world.

The Mandelore arc was awesome. I'm gonna go ahead and say this is my favourite character that Jon Favreau has ever played, and he does so with relish. I liked seeing the fall of the peace-loving mandelorian civilization, which you kinda had the feeling was going to eventually turn back into the bounty-loving mercs that the EU protrayed them as, so this is their tragic fall. The Vizla vs. Maul stuff was really awesome, so many little beats throughout with the repeated betrayals and screw jobs from each of them, culminating in their showdown. But they saved the best for last, even though you could call foul on a Dues Ex Sidious but it was too damn cool to complain about. This was Ian Abercromie's last performance as Palpatine and not only that he got to go out on in full-on Darth Sidious mode which is an absolutely fantastic final bit of business to play. Anybody notice next time you see Palpy it was a pan-up from the funeral in the next arc? I thought that was their shout-out to Abercromie

The last arc was some of the best stuff the series ever did, great to watch all in one day. One of my favourite moments from the start of the arc was when they were researching the bomb and it was laid out in a backwards hologram, very creepy, very cool. The style of the arcs kind of hinted towards what if "the underworld" TV show coulda been, but it was the most maturity that Ashoka had basically over the course of the entire series. And I loved how things just Kept. Going. Wrong. for her, as the screws began to tighten and her world crumbled around her. And they flat-out did a "Fugitive!" reference! The reveal of her friend as the traitor I thought was cool but even without going on the boards I expected some of the more continuity minded fans would get in a tizzy, but it was a neat twist, the fight she had with Anakin was solid and he even got to indulge in some Darth Vader choking style (very quickly, nobody noticed, heh.) It really all pays off in the final moments when Ashoka decides to leave the order, the acting was great and the character animation all probably added up to some of the most moving things the show has ever done. Even the classically painted sky background of Ashoka's final goodbye to Anakin worked in an artistically abstract way. If we never see her again, this is a great end. Hell, if we never see the SHOW again, this is also a great end.

So overall on this season, I enjoyed how they continue to tonally experiment between arcs, and once they kept a tone, wildly diverging in between arcs it may be, they kept to it. The show is a fun little twisty type of experiment, taking what is at the heart of Star Wars, to take genres and toss them altogether, but in Clone Wars, each arc has it's own deeper exploration of the tonal styles that can all be applied to a Star Wars story. Who needs spin-off films, we have our own little wacky film series going on here. Which is why I like to watch it all at once instead of week to week, you get to get the distinct feel in each arc.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This season should have had 23 episodes

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I have a weird feeling it did, the last 2 or 3 eps woulda been a cliffhanger like last season, but they ended with the Ashoka arc because that was the strongest way to go out, and since S6 is in this weird not-quite-cancelled limbo, it would be a strong note to end on. Or, hell, maybe CN knew they were losing the show after S5 and wanted to end on that one.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Final thoughts on season 5:
    -Started strong with my favorite season opener
    -Got a little weak when I had to spend four episodes with the stop sign known as Saw and Captain Ovaries.
    -Not enough Rex
    -Young Jedi had a cool middle, if only it ended stronger. I liked exploring the mythos.
    -Droid arc had some good stuff in the middle as well but was mostly a waste of time.
    -Gregor was a cool contrast to Cut Lawquane and I'm glad we got him.
    -Maul was a great addition to the show after all. The Shadow Conspiracy arc was epic. Best of the series behind Umbara.
    -OMG, Savage's death is sad. Tragic.
    -Season ended very strong with the status quo feeling gone.
    -I think this will be my middle season. Really does remind me of 'Turbo'.

Thanks for another fun season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

5. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Or maybe it was because CN had bought for 22 episodes airing rights and that it was the better choice in light of the Disney acquisition to end on a completed story rather then in a middle of one in case it moves channels. Ending with the Ahsoka arc makes sense because it does wrap up a possible end for her.

6. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    CN did a good job. They picked the rosines and let the rest to Disney.

From here on its going down hill. fasten your seatbelts!

7. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    What's this?

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think the Thorn episode's part of the famed Clovis arc.

9. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Sorry, I meant Dooku contacting Sidious. I don't remember this.

10. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    It was in the first trailer where Maul is saying, "Kenobi, Sith pretender Dooku, blah, blah, blah" and shows Dooku on Serenno talking to Sidious.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  11. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Good, good....

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I missed ya Thorn. I wanted to see how aggressive negotiations are done with a mini-gun.

13. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    If there will be a Season 6, I definitely think that the Clovis arc should be the season opener (preferably with two of the episodes aired as an one hour premiere). This season lacked without that one arc.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Agreed.

15. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I almost want them to broadcast the Clovis arc earlier, maybe in the summer, strung together as a movie on either Cartoon Network or Disney XD. Then give us a Season 6 in the fall that includes a full set of 22+ episodes.

earlchinna likes this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Definitely even though IMO, they should air 30 episodes per season now.

17. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    That's going to require a lot of production money and time for the TCW crew, and although what you say is desirable for all of us, I can only see the number of episodes stagnating, if not decreasing.

18. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    The decision to replace the Clovis arc with the Younglings one makes sense now that we know all the Ahsoka stories had to be told before the season finale. However, I still say we should have either gotten 23 episodes or gotten the Youngling arc as an edited-together TV movie. It should always be the producers' goal to provide the audience with the number of episodes they were promised or more, not fewer.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Unfortunately you are right.

20. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I just realised what episode could have been cut completely in order to make room for the three Clovis episodes: Point Of No Return. Leave the Young Jedi alone.

This was a fairly pointless episode. It wasn't as bad as Secret Weapons, but at least that episode served the purpose of introducing the arc's characters. Without Point Of No Return, the D-Squad arc would have ended on the note of the team fleeing Abafar in an attack shuttle to a VSD that is mysteriously parked in orbit. They've got their encryption module and they're about to make contact again with the Republic. Unfurl the "Mission Accomplished" banner. Sure, there would still be the question of why there's a Republic ship orbiting a planet with a CIS presence (something which was explained by the later episode) and we'd have missed out on the grand explosion, the Republic space station, Bunny, another worthless STD, mere cameo appearances from important characters and the (tension-devoid) self-sacrifice of R2-D2, but this would have been worth it for the Clovis arc. PONR made the mission seem more pointless than before, since this fireship plot is the very attack which the encryption module was supposed to help the Republic uncover. Ultimately, this episode was largely expendable. It could have been added to the DVD/Blu-Ray release if at all, or perhaps a limited release on TV in some markets beyond the United States.

As a result, there would have been room for another three episodes to fill out S5 to its contractual twenty-two episode broadcast run on CN. The Clovis arc would have been fit in nicely between the Mauldalore and Ahsoka arcs, focusing as it does on the relationship between Anakin and Padme. This would have been appropriate after the conclusion to the Obi-Wan/Satine relationship in The Lawless and before the exploration of the almost familial bond between Anakin and Ahsoka in the finale arc. It would have given Anakin something to do beyond deal with the tumult of Ahsoka's incrimination and resignation, and it would have given Padme some relevance this season before her sudden appearance at the tribunal. We could have seen a major battle between the Republic and CIS, plus the political context of this engagement.

More generally, it would have made S5 seem more substantial and less incomplete than it currently seems. This is a real weakness of S5. It hit more numerous and more substantial high points than previous seasons, but it still feels like half a season, in no small part due to this truncation.

Nubbs and Circular_Logic like this.
  21. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Hello Disney XD WILL HAVE IT ON MONDAY.
    They have every show on Monday .

22. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Source?

23. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This post makes no sense...

24. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    We're all high on Season 6, but not that high...

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Give me source or you lie :p