main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Luke Kenobi (OT AU, L/M, H/L,)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Skywalker_T-65, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Maybe he can land a gig as a male stripper as he did on Mos Espa. (In joke, referring to one of my AU's)

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I apologize for the lack of updates. I've been swamped by other projects, and haven't had as much time to write as I would like. I haven't abandoned it though, it may just be a couple more days :p

Jade_eyes and Hazel like this.
  3. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Sorry for the delay in posting. 'Days in the life of Obi-Wan Kenobi' is surprisingly difficult to write :p

In any case, its getting late, and I have class tomorrow, so I don't have the time to reply to the reviews. But they are very much appreciated. I hope you all enjoy this chapter.

Chapter 4

The next day dawned bright and early for Obi-Wan Kenobi. Dantooine’s sun rose and shined through the large window in his new bedroom, light reflecting through the thin planes of glass and across his face. Prompting a low groan from a man used to being woken up by things other than sunlight.

Grumbling softly and running a hand through his hair, Obi-Wan swung his legs over the side of the bed. Rubbing at his eyes, the Jedi Master reached over and pulled his robe from the chair where he had discarded it the previous night and pulled it across his shoulders. Grumbling aside, he- quiet as a mouse -walked over to the old crib he had found in a storage room. A crib in which Luke was slumbering peacefully, seemingly oblivious to anything around him.

Obi-Wan smiled slightly at that and pulled his robe tighter across his chest as he walked out into the cool Dantooine morning. While keeping a close eye on Luke through the Force, he left the building to examine the outside more thoroughly.

Well, considering how long this was sitting here I suppose I should be thankful it is in as good of shape as it is.

That dry thought would hardly have been out of place back in the Jedi Temple, prompting a wry smile to cross Obi-Wan’s beardless face. The old Estate truly wasn’t in that bad of shape all told. Oh sure, there was peeling paint here and there and he was fairly certain the generators needed some light maintenance. But he got the feeling Sarth had been exaggerating when he said the Estate had not been looked after.

It hadn’t, but it also clearly hadn’t fallen into disrepair.

“Time to find some tools. I almost wish I had learned how to fix things myself,” the Jedi muttered to himself, wandering purposely towards a side-structure as he looked over the primary Estate building.

For there was a shack off to the side that he hadn’t explored the previous day. Using a small bit of the Force to open the lock, Obi-Wan stepped inside the dusty shack. He would have to find the key at some point too, clearly. That said, it wasn’t like there was whole lot inside, save for an antique landspeeder. One that had been well-cared for from the looks of things, yet not worth taking when the previous owners had left.

“Well, I always did say to never look a gift Bantha in the mouth” Obi-Wan muttered to himself with a light chuckle rumbling up his throat. “Now I just need to get Anakin to look it ove…”

He had to stop himself from finishing that sentence. Years of living with his ‘brother’ had left him out of his element without being able to talk to Anakin. And the gaping hole where their bond used to be still pained Obi-Wan at the most inopportune moments. Letting out a sigh to replace his previous chuckle, the old Jedi cleared a path for the even older speeder. Carefully starting the vehicle up and moving it into the sunlight, he reflected on what he needed to do to move forward.

I cannot linger in the past. Anakin is dead. I hate to say that, but it is the truth. I have to live in the future for Luke. Everything for Luke. Sighing softly, Obi-Wan gently turned off the speeder and leaned back in the seat, his storm-grey eyes closed to the world around him. If I am to raise Luke properly, I must find a job. A job and a proper cover story. This will not be like Tatooine, I have to ensure that I am here for him and can support us both. Perhaps I should pay Khoonda a visit sooner, rather than later...

Opening his eyes, Obi-Wan was ready to hop out of the speeder and set about doing just that. However, before he could, he felt something probing at his mind. At the tattered remains of his bond with Anakin, damaged beyond all hope of repair by his brother’s death. Whatever was doing it burned brightly with the light. Brighter than Anakin ever had.

“What in the name of the Force was that?”

Before he could even begin to think more on the subject, Obi-Wan’s attention was rather rudely torn towards the Estate. Towards the sound of an infant crying at the top of his little lungs.

Without a moment of hesitation, the Jedi Master quickly sprinted into the house. Angling straight for the bedroom where he had left his little charge. Luke was crying and Obi-Wan had no idea why. Charging into the room, he quickly picked the baby up and rocked his arms trying to calm Luke down. Anakin’s son continued to cry, until Obi-Wan started to softly sing a song he had heard in the Creche back at the Temple. A song that had always calmed the younglings in the Temple when they had realized they were torn from the parents. One of many a mistake the Order had made in hindsight.

“Come on little one...everything is fine. I’m here alright?” Obi-Wan whispered softly, deciding that even if it were only for Luke, he would make up for that mistake.

Fortuitously for him, the little Skywalker boy stopped crying at the sound of his voice. Luke’s tiny face, instead of looking at him or anything else, just nuzzled into the warm and rough fabric of the Jedi robe he wore. The Master smiled at that and the strange feeling of utter warmth it left in his chest.

Sighing softly in a mix of relief and bemusement, Obi-Wan gently ran a finger across the back of Luke’s head. “You gave me a good scare there Luke. What in the name of the Force was wrong?”

Obviously the baby couldn’t answer, so the old Jedi gently set Luke back down. It was only when he was confident that the child was calm again, that he went searching through the Estate once more. And perhaps his luck was finally returning, but he was able to find the old stroller that he had been hoping would be there. It wasn’t like he could continue carrying Luke in his arms everywhere they went after all! Especially since he needed to return to Khoonda. Find a job that would allow him to work from the Estate, even were it something as simple as farming. He would support Luke.

Without making the mistake of ever leaving him alone without a loving family.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Once more pulling into the small city, if from the ground this time, Obi-Wan headed back for the starport. Now was a good a time as any to take Ms. Daltross up on her offer to help.

I have the feeling I may be taking advantage of her hospitality more than I would care to admit. Anakin was already a child much older than his physical years when I became his Master. Luke...I have no idea how to raise a child.

Pulling the speeder to a stop outside the main office of the Khoonda administrative sector, Obi-Wan brushed back his graying hair and climbed out of the vehicle. Once Luke was settled in the stroller, he walked into the office for the second time in as many days. Daltross was sitting at her desk again, busy at work and seemingly oblivious to the world.

At least, until her green eyes trailed up and noticed the old Jedi standing with his young charge. It was at that point that a wide and seemingly genuine smile crossed her face.

“Mr. Kenobi! Sarth told me he sold you that old farm that no one seemed to want. I’m glad you were able to find a home so soon.” The secretary’s voice was every bit as sunny as her smile, “Did you need more help with something?”

Obi-Wan just nodded with a smile crossing his own face. Such carefree enthusiasm was a wonderful change from what he had dealt with for so long. “Yes I do, in fact. Young Luke here needs food and a stable life and I’m afraid I do not have a career I can fall back on here. Is there anywhere in Khoonda I could acquire a job?”

Daltross looked thoughtfully at the Jedi Master-in-disguise, “What are your skills Mr. Kenobi?”

“Manual labor, mechanics and computing. Though I confess I am far from a savant at any of them.” Obi-Wan answered right away, purposely picking things that wouldn’t expose his training as a guardian of peace and justice.

“Hmm…I believe that the spaceport is looking for a mechanic,” Daltross suggested, her green eyes turning back to the datascreen in front of her. “I would try there first? Unless you are looking for something that lets you work on your new farm. Considering what you told me about little Luke, I wouldn’t blame you!”

A grimace crossed Obi-Wan’s face. “Luke is more of a handful than I anticipated, and I really would rather he be nearby until I’m certain he is safe.”

“Aren’t they all?” the secretary said with a laugh at the stricken look on Obi-Wan’s face. The laugh trailed off quickly though as she looked down at her screen. “Well, if that is the case I would suggest you work as a computer analyst at the starport. There is a program there that allows for mothers or single fathers to have their children on-site in a dedicated daycare. Luke would have the best care on Dantooine, I promise!”

“Thank you for the suggestion then,” Obi-Wan could hardly stop the smile. Her energy truly was infectious. “I’ll see to that now.”

“Good luck!”

Even as his spirits were buoyed by the endless energy of the young secretary and the knowledge that this new life would be good for Luke…

Obi-Wan couldn’t put the feeling of the touch to his bond out of his mind.

Hazel , Jedi_Liz , Jade_eyes , mavjade , epithree , Jedi_Lover , ginchy , Darth_Kiryan , Valairy Scot

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, either Anakin subdued Vader or - Anakin's son tuned in to the bond. Right?

5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    My thoughts exactly.

I'm really enjoying this story. Keep it coming, please. :)

6. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Interesting. Someone is probing the bond. I wager that it's... somebody. :D

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for posting @};- @};- Glad Obi's getting more situated job-wise, etc. And I agree with earlier posts, :D Luke's nascent skills are showing. ;)

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I think Luke somehow accessed the bond. Or maybe.....well.....not sure if you watch CW, but if you heard about season 5's finale...

9. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I don't watch CW :p

Though even not venturing into LACWAC its rather hard not to hear about it.

10. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I'm hoping that you're still planning on updating this story, cause I think it's absolutely awesome! I'd love to see where you're going with it.

11. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    This is really, really good. =D= I love stories wherein Obi-Wan raises Luke. :) Very curious to find out who is probing the bond. Hopeful that somehow Luke has managed to do it. :p

Please tag me when you update. :)

12. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Bravo! When I first saw the title I was hesitant but this is good. Makes me eager for that Kenobi book coming out this August

13. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well I hadn't been planning on doing more since the muse dried up...but since there seems to be interest, I can try and work something up :p

14. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Well, only if you feel it. No pressure.

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Eh, I've been meaning to get back into SW writing, and what better way than this?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  16. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Well, if you're certain than we'll be here waiting.

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    ARISE YE OLD THREAD AND LIIIIIIVVVVVVVEEEEE

Joking aside, I had forgotten about this fic years ago. Got caught up in writing for various other fandoms, and honestly, still am caught up in writing for other fandoms. Just on different websites. But as I was looking through my old files recently, I found this laying around. I'm a much better writer now than I was in 2013 and the basic idea remains rather sound, at least IMO.

So I decided, 'okay, why not. I haven't written non-crossover SW stuff in years' and went back to do two things:

1. I've cleaned up the old chapters. 1-4 are still a lot of the old material...but I've also added a lot of new material and cleaned up the pacing and such. Old material is still there, but the chapters themselves were basically rebuilt from the ground up. For anyone still around from the original posting.

2. CHAPTER 5 AT LAST. FOUR YEARS LATER ALMOST.

:p

Seriously though, here's a new chapter. If anyone is still remotely interested in the thing. Which I would understand if there isn't anyone left considering...four years.

Chapter 5:

“You looking for a job then?”

Obi-Wan nodded in response to that question, looking up at the rather imposing Twi’lek standing in front of him. He hardly considered himself a particularly short man, though Anakin had always been taller after his young Padawan had finished growing. This Twi’lek was a good head taller than him though and fairly rippled with muscle. Why in the world a Twi’lek manager on a world like Dantooine needed to look like he had just come out of some gladiatorial arena on Ryloth was beyond him though. Not that Obi-Wan was one to judge, considering his own misadventures had kept his body in rather fine shape itself.

Though he hardly bragged about that.

“You must be new to Dantooine then, haven’t seen you around here before.” The Twi’lek continued, speaking in perfect Basic with only a hint of an accent underneath his gruff tone. “For that matter, you look like you’re from a city. And I don’t mean one like Khoonda.”

“I’m afraid I am, on both counts.” Came Obi-Wan’s smooth reply. It was rather impossible to hide his clipped Coruscanti accent. “However, I’ve found myself craving a simpler life now that the War is over. That is why I came all the way out here after all.”

“You aren’t the only one.”

Those words were spoken with such utter boredom that the old Jedi almost wondered if this Twi’lek was even interested in hiring him. Surely the man had many more qualified offers waiting in the wings, so to speak. Obi-Wan knew that much.

Somewhat surprising, then, was the sudden twitch of the man’s lekku, before a wide smile broke out across his square-jawed face. “Most of them don’t have a youngling with ‘em, though. You want this job to take care of the kid, don’t you?”

A lesser man would probably have sputtered and stared at the massive Twi’lek with wide eyes. Perhaps they would have also had their jaw fall open and hang there like a fool. The sudden switch was quite shocking.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was not most men. Vast experience with both Qui-Gon Jinn and Anakin Skywalker had long ago conditioned him to shocks like that.

“You would be correct,” instead, he just shook his head bemusedly with Luke happily gurgling in the stroller by his side. “And would I be correct in assuming that this means you would be willing to hire me for the position?”

“I can say you aren’t wrong.”

The wide grin on the Twi’lek’s face refused to go away, even as the man reached out and clapped Obi-Wan on the back. His meaty hand nearly sent the incognito Jedi Master sprawling despite his best efforts. And managed to get a sour look to cross Obi-Wan’s face for that matter.

“Look,” the larger man continued while removing his hand from Kenobi’s back. “I like you, Kenobi. We don’t get many new people on Dantooine who have the kind of skills you have, and even fewer of them have such a good reason for looking to work. I left Ryloth after the War...I know how many orphans there are. If you want the job, you’ll have it. I just need to know if you really intend to stay on Dantooine.”

If the question seemed odd to him, Obi-Wan didn’t show it. He merely raised a single eyebrow and let Luke’s chubby hand clutch onto his outstretched finger.

“I have no intention of leaving Dantooine. I came here to find peace and there is little reason for me to believe I will not find it.” The Jedi replied, the ease of negotiation never leaving him. Even now with the war well and truly behind him.

Funny how these things turn out. To think I would have to be the Negotiator even in peace.

None of his dry amusement showed on the Master’s face as the Twi’lek stroked his chin thoughtfully.

“Hm.” Letting his hand fall, the businessman started to tap the broad desk he stood in front of. A steady and rhythmic ‘tap tap tap’ that would have set many a man on edge. “Perhaps you mean that now. I have had many employees come and go, however, in search of another world to live. Dantooine is not the place that many choose as their homeworld.”

That was probably true, honestly. Even Obi-Wan knew that much considering he had partially chosen to live on Dantooine for that very reason. It was a world where people may stop over on their way into the Core or the Mid-Rim, but not exactly a home for many of those travelers. Khoonda was the size it was because Dantooine did not have any great mineral wealth or even agricultural resources. It was a perfectly fine world to live on and fully capable of sustaining herself, if such was all you wanted at least. However, that hardly changed that there was barely anything of note on the world itself. Not exactly a location for getting rich, now was it?

And for the average citizen of the Galaxy that could afford to pick and choose where they lived, living on a world that was the case study of ‘sufficient but not spectacular’ would not appeal to them. Most certainly so far from the core and more civilized society!

“I assure you, that is not the case with my own plans.” Obi-Wan placed his own free hand on the table, pointing a finger at the Twi’lek in front of him. A thin smile crossed his pale face, the Jedi’s grey eyes flicking between his potential superior and the baby happily gurgling by his side.

Anything for Luke.

“Dantooine appeals to me for exactly that reason. I want a home to live where the War and the past are just that. The past, where I can just forget about the pain from losing my brother in all but blood. Where I can raise Luke and not have to worry about him getting swept up in a conflict outside his control. Dantooine is the perfect place for us to live, I’m afraid.”

There was silence following Obi-Wan’s statement. Silence as the Twi’lek manager stared at him with his dark black eyes, unreadable expression across his face. The wide grin had faded away completely, replaced by a thin-lipped stare that hid whatever he was thinking. Or would have done so, to someone not a Jedi or as experienced in reading others as Obi-Wan Kenobi was.

To him, it was clear what the Twi’lek would say before it had even finished crossing his mind. Benefits of being a Jedi Master, he supposed.

“You’re hired, Kenobi.” The burly, mountain of a man finally replied. He stuck his large hand out, the traditional handshake working its way out even this far from the Core. “I can’t say we get many people here like you. You work hard, and we’ll get along just fine.”

Obi-Wan took the hand and gripped it as tightly as he dared. A dry smile did cross his lips this time though, despite his best efforts to the contrary. “Oh I assure you, you’ll never need another employee if I have my say in it.”

If the booming laughter was any indication, the Jedi Master was already well on his way to earning the friendship of his new boss.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Of course, with his new job in hand for when he was settled into his equally new home, Obi-Wan set out for the other reason he had chosen Dantooine. He had not been lying in the slightest when he told his prospective employer that he had chosen Dantooine to forget about the past and give Luke a safe life away from what could harm him. He may have spoken from, well, a certain point of view with some things of course. Mostly in not saying exactly what it was he wanted to hide Luke away from.

That said, he had hardly spoken the full truth in any form. Dantooine was isolated and this was important, however, it also held something that he felt necessary both for himself and eventually for the baby sitting in the special seat beside him as his speeder gradually came to a stop in the middle of a courtyard overgrown with Dantooine’s lavender grasses.

It is a shame that I never took the time to come here before. Even now, I can feel the Force here, where Jedi once lived and studied so very long ago. It is almost peaceful in a way.

Climbing out of his old landspeeder, Obi-Wan felt his feet crunch upon ancient stone hidden beneath the rolling grass. He was standing on hallowed ground, his stormy grey eyes trailing up past a lonely and weather-worn pillar towards a circular structure completely overgrown with vines. It had been many long years since this structure had been host to any Jedi and yet...even now he could still make out the white marble facing of the ancient building peeking out through the vines. The original construction, and the restoration after the attack by Darth Malak, had been of quite sturdy material. Even left to sit for thousands of years, the building was still recognizable for those who cared to look. The central circular courtyard that was covered in Dantooine’s plant life. The long, sweeping entrances on either side of that circular structure.

And, of course, the only part clear of vegetation. Tall pillars of stone sticking up at periodic intervals around the central part of the building, standing like sentinels of old peeking out through the centuries of plant growth.

“The Jedi Enclave.” Obi-Wan breathed out as his breath misted in the cool air of a Dantooine evening.

This truly was hallowed ground, in more ways than one. As his feet continued to crunch upon forgotten cobblestone, the Master reflected on the building. Once the center of the Order in the Outer Rim and second only to the Temple on Coruscant. Dantooine had trained many of the most pivotal Jedi in the Order’s long history. From Exar Kun to Revan and on to Meetra Surik. Men who had tried to destroy the Order. And the Prodigal Knight who had saved it, if only enough for the returned Exile to revive it from the first Purge.

Dantooine had trained them all, and the reflections of that still lingered in the Enclave for those who cared to look.

“I can feel the Light Side here.” Like the reflection of water in a mirror, Obi-Wan could almost see the energy of the Force rolling around the old academy. Each breath he took practically suffused his lungs in the feeling of old memories and of Jedi long gone, but not forgotten.

It was that feeling that had drawn him here. The Enclave was as close to holy ground as the Order had, outside of long forgotten Tython and the now-ruined Temple on Coruscant. A place where so many powerful Jedi had lived and trained and the place where the Order had been saved on two different occasions. And yet it had lain forgotten for millennia, because the Council had chosen- in the wake of the devastation wrought at Ruusan -to consolidate on Coruscant. The Enclave was important to the Order’s history, but not to the future of the Jedi. Especially with the lingering horrors of those killed by Malak’s brutality and the betrayal of Darth Traya lingering like a miasma over the building.

I feel that was another mistake the Councils of old made. By locking ourselves in the Temple and forgetting our old training grounds, we isolated ourselves from those we were sworn to protect. Our numbers never recovered to where they once were and we lost the trust of the Galaxy because we were all trained and lived on Coruscant outside a few sects like Corellia.

Force, Anakin hadn’t even known what lightsaber was called when he first met Qui-Gon! And had thought of the Jedi as almost legendary figures!

And he was far from alone in that, Obi-Wan knew, as he looked up at the ancient Enclave. Reaching a hand out to touch the roughly hewn stone, he almost felt a shock run down his spine. The energy of this place was alive and well even if there were no Jedi in centuries. Abandoned and alone, the Enclave had patiently waited for the Jedi to return as it was overgrown and forgotten by most in the Galaxy. Even the citizens of Dantooine rarely ventured out this far from Khoonda anymore, the city expanding away from the ruins of the Jedi Enclave.

Perhaps that would change now. The Order as Obi-Wan had known it was dead and gone. Broken forever by betrayal from within and the machinations of the most dangerous Sith Lord in the history of the Galaxy. A man who made Malak look like a bumbling fool and would have pushed even Revan in terms of strategic genius. Clinging to the post-Ruusan ways was never going to work to restore the Order. Maybe it was only the benefit of hindsight that allowed Obi-Wan to see this now.

Yet see it he did, as he removed his hand from the old Enclave with a heavy sigh. Even if this building held no secrets of the old Order, though it was possible the sublevel may yet hold some remnant of Surik’s teachings, it was still a symbol. A symbol of what the Jedi once were and what they may yet become.

He would not endanger Luke. He never would.

But Obi-Wan Kenobi, even as he walked back to the infant and his speeder, could only see the future of his Order in the ruins of the past. The Enclave may once more shine with the light of the Jedi, if in secret for the foreseeable future.

I can still do a tag list, if anyone still does that. Considering how long it has been since I posted anything on this forum, story wise. :p

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm really liking this so far.

19. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    This is a brilliant story, would love to know when you update this :)

EG