main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Is it more about the money than the story now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by budspencer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    Just wondering if some people are thinking that while being a good idea, this might just be made for the sake of money instead of anything else.

Lets not delude ourselves.

We all know that the big 3 are coming back...and obviously for probably a big paycheck. So there goes one for the side of money.

Disney now wants to milk the concept to death.

In the end...do you think that its gonna be worth it storywise or is this just some big company trying to milk new fans on the concept.

Let weigh the argument of big money versus good product...

opinions?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I feel that the big 3 are needed for a more cohesive story (and saga altogether). It would make little sense for galactic heroes to just suddenly not be there, especially if their children are the main protagonists of the ST.

3. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    i dont know, to me - at least i HOPE - its about proving that SW can still kick ass and making amends for the PT....

-C

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, it's about the money. Aren't all mediums about making dough?

This is why I'm for only trilogies but against all these spinoffs. They will be nothing more than minor cash cows thrown out fom time to time that will only dilute the storytelling. But Disney is all about the money. They couldn't care less how much of these films come out, as long as they continue to make them money.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    It's about both the story & the money, always has been. If the story isn't good enough people aren't going to like it & see it as often therefore you're going to get less of a return on investment. It's bad business as well as "bad art". Both elements are co dependent.

6. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Its about both. A great new story would ensure lots of money. Pure economics. Make it awesome, and they will come. of course the reverse is also true...make it AT ALL...and they will still come. Its #$@%ing Star Wars. :)

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think it's a mutually exclusive situation.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Even if they do milk it for all it's worth, no one is holding a gun to our collective heads making us buy into it. Don't like the Spin offs? Skip 'em! Don't like the books? The Clone War cartoon? The Force Unleashed? The Holiday Special?

Yeah, I went there...

9. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    The view that the sequels are about money, and only money, is very cynical.

Sure, a corporation wants to turn a profit for it's endeavors. It would be poor business practice not to want to turn a profit.

I believe the sequels are being made for the best of reasons. George has the ideas, Disney has the resources, and both have found people with the passion to make it happen.

I, for one, hope Disney does turn a nice profit. They deserve it or bringing back something I was certain I'd never see again.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucas trusts Kennedy, that's why he chose her to take over the torch.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It's about the story, the utlimate escapism for us, but this is also Hollywoood and no film gets made without the idea of making money in the process. As a fan of the franchise I hope the ST does very well.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Disney bought it for a reason

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    For the individuals involved it's a combination of art, money, and the ego/career boost that comes from being involved in a project like this. What trumps what is likely different for each person, including the director and production team.

I don't know Mark and Carrie's financial situations, but Mark in particular strikes me as loving the franchise so much that he would do this almost regardless of money. Harrison is so stinking rich that one more fat paycheck shouldn't mean anything to him. I think all three of them wouldn't be doing this unless they really wanted to.

Disney is a corporation, so of course they are in it purely for the money.

14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Why are people so antsy about this? Whatever happened to the train of thought that both money AND story can be in a film?

Why's it gotta be one or the other?

15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    When is a movie franchise *not* about the money? It's right there in the word "franchise". Hopefully there will be an equally strong story to come out of this next trilogy.

16. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    It's about the money. But I honestly believe when Lucas made Star Wars it was just about getting is vision on screen for everyone to see. Later on he was already wealthy, so I believe the PT was just him finishing up his dream.

For Disney there is no "dream", they want the brand to generate revenue. The only hope we have is the people participating in the film do it for the love of SW more than just the paycheck (not the actors, but writers and directors, etc).

17. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Yes, because if the near flawlessness/good record of the Disney AnimatedCanon is any indication, there is no "dream" in Disney, right?

18. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    I think Abrams has the passion to make sure it delivers at least some effort of a story if not a great one.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Disney spent 4 Billion for Starwars so yeah it's about the money.

I think Disney will want the first film to be good though if nothing else, if only so that the audience will keep coming back for the others no matter how awful the quality will be of the other films. That is also my big fear.

That it will be made like the new StarTrek film, the fan boys will think it's really really keewll and the action will be fun, and it will be hailed a success, but long term you realise how empty it was and how nothing really made sense, and it was really just pointless action flick fluff.

Entrusting E7 to a journeyman director known for (lens) flashy, fast paced but full of holes and ultimately empty on an emotional level films, director was another sign, that that is where they are going.

What makes Starwars great and separates it from being just action flicks in Space were the emotional moments. In ANH with Luke looking at the twin suns yearning for more to life, In ESB With Leia's decleration of love to Han, In RTJ Vaders redemption and his unmasking.

Those were what I loved about Starwars not simply giving a guy a Lightsaber and slicing through bad guys left and right or watching some good effects on screen, and that for me is my big fear because I don't think Disney either get that or care about that.

20. Darthchrontis

Darthchrontis Jedi Padawan

Feb 25, 2013
    In all honesty, its a daft question. The whole purpose of releasing a blockbuster film ist to make money, thats it, thats why it exists. Thats why you make films, thats why you do pretty much anything. But to make money it has to be good.

It astounds me how many times are people going to bang on about Disney, its a Lucasfilm film, disney are the parent company. I dont know why this is still an issue on here. How many other bloggers, have referenced The Avengers, Disney own Marvel Studios they did not get involved. Disney own many companies including ESPN, ABC they wont be getting involved in the day to day running, writing or making of the film.

21. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    I laugh at Abrams passion. His lensflares are the cheapest effect of all. Even GIMP has it.

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Why would one exclude the other?

The fans complaining about their franchise being "milked for cash" really makes no sense to me. No one is forcing to you to buy anything. If you like just the OT or just the PT or everything - fine, go enjoy it. The expansion of the franchise does not affect you or your enjoyment of it in any way shape or form unless you allow yourself to be worked up about things that really aren't worth being worked up over.
    And whenever someone complains about a franchise expanding itself to other media and states that's just a "money grab" - ask yourself a very simple question.
    If you wrote a series of wildly succesful books and someone offered you a movie deal, a toy deal, a video game deal and whatnot - would you turn it down?
    I highly doubt that.

23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    It's not about money...it's about sending a message.

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  25. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Of course it is about money, but there is an element to all this the OP does not suggest. The greatest guarantee for money is providing a high quality product. For these films that would mean a good story.