main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Daily Show] Once Again With Jon Stewart (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Story here

To be honest, I'm okay with this, and besides, he can't be The Daily Show host forever, so this is probably a dry-run for it and when it does eventually happens.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    12? Yikes. And Oliver is probably the best of the current correspondents to take over (I remember Colbert and Corddry filling in before), with Mandvi in second.

And I doubt Stewart is going to retire any time soon. He's still only about 50... unless this directing thing works out, I guess.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    As someone who listens to the podcast that John Oliver does (The Bugle), then I can honestly say the show is in great hands.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Nooooooooo. I mean, i'm happy for Stewart, but to me, he is the Daily Show. And I"m just not a big John Oliver fan.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    John Oliver filling in for Jon Stewart? Interesting, maybe I'll start watching again this week.

6. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I agree. Oliver is funny in his own way, but I don't know if he can carry the whole show. Jon Stewart pretty much created the Daily Show, and it'll be big shoes to fill.

7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    **** you chris

8. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I always feel like Oliver just tries too hard. He doesn't have that natural comedic grace that Colbert, Ed Helms, and Cordry do/did. These three were the best Daily Show anchors ever, IMO. Asif, Jason, and Wyatt would be my next-best tier (though Wyatt's now left the show :( ).

Edit:

Also, Oliver's bad teeth often distract me.

9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    fail

10. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    With Oliver filling in, do we get Patrick Stewart back as correspondent?

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I dunno, when Helms was on Daily Show I mostly thought of him as the guy who wasn't Colbert but was doing a Colbert impression.

12. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I suppose I could see that.

13. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    haha YES!

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Huh, the movie sounds interesting. It's interesting that he's going for a drama and not a comedy. Could be a real stretch for Stewart.

15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    THIS!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I just met Jon Stewart two days ago. I can't believe he didn't tell me about this.

Is this a comedy or an Argo style political thriller? Hard to tell from the subject matter, although the title and Jon Stewart suggest comedy.

17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Huh. I like the sound of this. I like Oliver, so seeing him host will be different, but I look forward to it. Though I do wonder if a higher dose than usual will get grating.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This is interesting news. I'm very curious to see what Stewart can do. I doubt he'd ever give up The Daily Show as host, but I could certainly see him taking a few weeks off every summer to make a film is this directing career works out for him.

Not surprised that Oliver is filling in- they've quite obviously been grooming him to be top-correspondent for the last couple years. Shy of somehow convicning Colbert to pull double duty, he's the obvious choice (though I'd love to see Kristen Schaal or Samantha Bee take a crack at it).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    not sure if trolling

20. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Best of luck to Stewart to bad his gone this summer one of the highligst of the summer vacation is watching that show online I know it airs all year but something special about the summer

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't know if there's an official "Daily Show" thread or not, but did anyone else just see the segment on Russia??!?!

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's going to be weird without Jon around.

23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Did anybody see Thursday's episode of The Daily Show, where Jon Stewart tore apart the "new" CNN?

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

It's too bad they didn't make fun of HLN for having a masked dominatrix woman as a talking head "expert" for that whole Jodi Arias thing, in the middle of the afternoon I might add. I was thinking WTF? when I saw that flipping through the channels one day.

"Mommy, is that masked lady a superhero?"

"No she isn't! Now go play!"

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's over. Later in the year.

[​IMG]

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011