main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The Flacco deal was way too high in my opinion. I know he just won a Super Bowl but he's average at best.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I wanted to draft him, of course I can spell his name ;)

3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    But you've been spelling it wrong all year?

Unless that was some inside joke I'm not getting.

I'm gonna go eat ice cream alone now.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No kidding. He's not even a top five quarterback. Top ten, but not top five. That's crazy money. And now everyone else is screwed over by this dumbass deal distorting the market.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Flacco's regular season numbers may not be so hot, but he's been very consistant for the most part during the playoffs (he's won at least one playoff game in each of his first five years in the league. He's the only one to do so), and he delivered a Super Bowl to the team/city. Let's face it, post - season performance is often what an owner will look at when deciding how much to pay a QB (unless you're an Eagles QB. Then sky's the limit)

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He's got a good playoff record and he's a pretty decent quarterback, but the fact is, he's getting blockbuster money when he's not even a consensus elite player at the position. The championship and free agency and scarceness of quarterback talent created a ridiculous situation where a second-tier quarterback got a record-size deal, and it's bad for the league.

Trimaj likes this.
  7. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    If having as many post season victories in just five seasons as Peyton does for his whole career is average, then I'll take Flacco average every time. :p

But having said that, we'll see what kind of money is left for the Ravens, because they have a laundry list of unrestricted free agents that they have to get signed and I don't think they will get half of them re-signed. The defense is going to regress and then we'll see what Flacco is really worth.

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    pretty much what havac said. and with them having so many other free agents who are going to be wanting big money for helping get a SB ring... yea, the ravens aren't going to be the same caliber team next year most likely. and flacco is sooooo not worth that much money by any imagination. no player i really. but hey, the latest QB to win the SB always gets stupid amounts of money. just kinda how it is.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Flacco deal doesn't have a lot of guaranteed money though and if IIRC the cap hit this year is only $7m which shouldn't affect their other free agents much.

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The female kicker failed miserably. Boy were those kicks bad. I know she hurt her leg, but her approach was very odd. For a soccer player she didn't appear to have a soccer style approach.

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    she was also, as she put it, rather out of practice.

12. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Who the hell tries out for the NFL when you're "out of practice"?
    This stinks of publicity stunt or something worse.

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    to some degree yes. she's not kicked for, i think the article said, at least four years. the one that was linked to earlier. might have been more, maybe less. but that's pretty freaking out of practice.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    solojones What do you think about our 5-yr deal with Bowe? Glad we could use the tag on Albert too, hopefully lock him up next offseason with a stronger line.

I'm happy with the offseason so far.

16. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--s...looks-like-a-no-go-for-the-nfl-000059874.html

Seems like the NFL doesn't see how the economics of AEG's downtown L.A. stadium proposal will work at all. So it looks like a "no-go" for the NFL.

Seems kind of amazing that the NFL is doing so well financially and is so powerful that it doesn't really need the nation's second largest TV market. Having a team there would just merely be icing on the cake at this point.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
  20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I have to believe there's some defensive player out of the SEC or something who's worth the #1. Though if they trade down for multiple other round picks, I don't think I'd mind that all that much.

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

It does make sense that they've got issues with AEG's financial stability, since the company is in the process of being sold, but does the NFL not see how well L.A. Live is doing? They should wait until a sale is done to see how viable a Downtown site would be for the future.. BUT, there was also this from the article:

"I think there are many major, if not fatal, flaws in the AEG plan and it's surprising the Los Angeles political leadership has not picked up on it from the NFL," said Marc Ganis

No, that's not surprising at all because the folks who make the city government here are absolute morons, who have helped to bankrupt this city while so many things have gone undone (such fixing so much of the bad infrastructure that L.A. has). Pathetic. Also, there's this:

Soon-Shiong and Guggenheim have each met with the NFL to discuss the downtown project and possible interest in the NFL. As part of that, the sources have said that Guggenheim has floated the idea of flipping the stadium project by moving the Dodgers to the downtown site and then build a football stadium on the Dodger Stadium site in Chavez Ravine.

NO, NO, NO! I don't care if the Downtown site doesn't end up working for the NFL, but there are other options (Inglewood, City of Industry) to explore. Moving the Dodgers out of Chavez Ravine would be completely soul crushing, not necessary, and would have the potentially to alienate many fans away from the NFL.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Just face facts, Tunick, the NFL is never coming back to LA. Come to grips with it and move on.

23. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Wow. CJ.01K is still talking....

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    considering some of the games he had last year despite no real passing game... he's still a highly capable back. just needs a better situation/offensive line i think.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005