main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Daveed: Now we will never have free time... Torment 2 (sort of)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by dp4m, Mar 5, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Really? REALLY? I have to do this again?!

3. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Anyway I'm a little bit excited but who says it ever gets made. I'd like to see them finish Wasteland 2 first.

Besides which it's got nothing to do with Torment.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hmmm. We'll see. I don't like Monte Cook's concept of "high fantasy". The idea of a new PS:T-like game is tremendously exciting, though.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I may have splurged... >.>

(that's spent money, not the other thing)

Ender_Sai and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    WTH? I can't see this from Community? Why the hell do I have to go in a different forum?

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Launched: Mar 6, 2013
    [$807,094 pledged of $900,000 goal]

Is that a new record?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    dp - it was originally posted in Community but one of the mods moved it. The entry in Community is only to redirect people to it here.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I get that but I hate you people, and wanted to discuss it under a Games tag in Community. :p

(because, you know, I posted it -- so I should know where I posted it!)

Ender_Sai likes this.
  11. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    and they're over 1.1 million now. so... yea. i think it's getting made marcus. :p and as they explained, they needed something for the concept team and writers to do while the techy stuff gets finished in wasteland 2. and they didn't want to fire them, so... why not start on a new game? i'm pretty sure that's how they always do things in the games industry, always have something in pre-production once the current project is in full production mode. polished writing and concept are is usually a good thing and all that.

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    here's there reasoning for why they're doing it now, and it makes perfect sense to me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/420739?ref=activity

if you can't read it i'll post it in it's entirety since i'm a backer on wasteland 2. don't know if that's a backer only update or not.

13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    And backed. I'm certainly not expecting them to top Torment, but $25 is well worth it.

Amazing.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    as a curiosity, have you commented over there at all amazingb?

15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    How is getting money a guarantee of getting made? They might run out. Double fine Adventure was talking recently about budget troubles and that's just an adventure game.

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    because they have income from other things as well. given how long brian fargo has been budgeting these things i'd imagine he knows what he's doing. not to mention that if they go that far over budget they should be able to get something out. maybe not what they wanted, but they've already nearly doubled the original budget. and fargo is going to put in money himself as well. i don't think he'd let things fall apart to be blunt.

17. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    At Kickstarter? No, until now I didn't even know you could comment.

Amazing.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    turns out there's another 100k backer in the works, should this hit 3 million so that'd be 100k from fargo, plus the same from the mystery backer. and it's already working on 2.1 million right now. in less than two days. which is insane.

also, i just remembered something else marcus. this is really fargo's last chance to prove himself, just like project eternity is one of obsidian's last chances as well. so i don't think he's going to let this, or wasteland 2, get screwed up. outta curiosity, have you seen the alpha footage from wasteland 2? it already looks pretty good.

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    well, they're working towards 2.75 (although probably got it when you add in the paypal numbers).

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so there's as screenie up for this. it's very pre-alpha with no post-processing stuff going on, but it still looks great. worth taking a look.

and they have any number of other writers involved now that looks like it'll make this a drastically better, and bigger, game. and right now chris avellone is the next stretch goal up for grabs. well of major significance right now anyway.

21. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    and now there's a second screenie, and a tech demo of the first one that is still obviously pre-alpha but still looks good in update 13. they linked to a 1080p version in update 14.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    and it closed with 4.3+ million dollars. none too shabby at all.

23. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    also, if there's anyone interested in this at all or wants to add something to their pledge, they still have paypal up so that they can potentially hit the stronghold goal at 4.5. it's only for the rest of the month though. but would be pretty cool if they did actually hit every goal they had.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    and for a seventh post in a row...

they decided due to the lack of dropped pledges that they's just going to throw in the last stretch goal because of the two 100k super pledges from brian fargo and steven dengler. so that means both a stronghold (how they're going to implement it will not be typical, because this is neither a typical game or setting), and a number of things that they were wanting to try but didn't think they could do with a morel limited budget. so we're literally getting everything they could think of to offer for this game, which is pretty cool.

anyway, no more updates from me unless there's something significant until someone else posts.

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    hey, let's make it eight. because why not.

here's an awesome interview about game design that kevin saunders and adam heine did for iron tower studios. well worth the tread, and it definitely makes me even more excited for this when it finally comes out.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3339.0.html