main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Keep the Midi-chlorians out of the sequels please!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Sith_Knight087, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    I think most people would agree, the less said about them the better.

Nubbs, Darth Swede, Heero_Yuy and 4 others like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. I loved the whole concept of midi-chlorians and thought it was one of the most fascinating things introduced by the PT.

3. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I doubt we will get into Midi-cholrians again. I cannot see where mentioning them will advance the story. If it is central to the plot, then we all have something to worry about.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  4. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I do not think it distracted from the movies. I guess I liked when the Force was more mysterious. I could have done without the Biology lesson. Just my preference.

5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I agree. The Force should have remained a mystery. Some people have it, but nobody really knows why. Making the Force physical in nature ruined it for me.

sinkie likes this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    If Plagueis is indeed a central villain, then Midi-Chlorians logically MUST be mentioned.

TreborSabreon and VMeran like this.
  7. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Agree. This I would tolerate to help explain Plagueis' history.

8. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Agreed. The midichlorians give us a way to measure how powerful in the Force a Jedi was.

VMeran likes this.
  9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh great, another whine thread. Somebody call the WAAAAAAAAmbulance.

10. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't see how midichlorians took anything away from the "mysteriousness" of the Force, the backlash from SW fans with regards to midichlorians seems like a complete overreaction to me.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The midi-chlorians , Jar Jar binks & Jake Lloyd should be wiped form our memory banks !!!

sinkie likes this.
  12. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    It may have been an overreaction by fans. However, we have a situation where Yoda gives this great speech about the mystical power of the Force in ESB. To many people it was akin to magic, it allowed us to use our imaginations about why some have the Force. The introduction of Midi-chlorians for me and others was kind of a ho-hum moment. It took away the "mysteriousness" by definition once the etiology of the Force was explained. I suppose there is still some mystery surrounding the capabilities of a Force user.

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    :rolleyes: As explained in TPM, Midi-chlorians have nothing to do with the etiology of the Force. Nothing.

14. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I do not see it as whining. I think it is an acknowledgement that this plot element became a topic of debate for many fans. I would hate for Episode VII to be plagued (no pun intended) by small plot elements that really did not detract from the film. I would rather the movie be judged on the merits of a strong story, acting, and action. I know this is wishful thinking, since only hours after watching Episode VII we will all be on here debating the film scene by scene. :D

15. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    This ain't a ''Whine Thread''. It's an opinion thread. ;)

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

It hasn't been mentioned since TPM. I don't know what the big outcry is all about.

17. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I understand this, because like you, I am familiar with the concept and I know what was trying to be explained. I know Midi-chlorians help force users with perception of the Force. When I refer to etiology I am talking about the source of power granted to an individual Force user. The concept does not particular bother me given my science background. However, the mass public did not understand this. It became a minor critique of the film that was amplified beyond its worth. Any Google search will find this critique of the film. I think Episode VII would be better off if it attenuated plot points that has the potential to confuse casual fans. One of the strengths of the OT is that it did not try to do too much. It told a great story that everyone could understand and connect with.

18. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    If the force is still around then the midichlorians are...but we don't necessarily need them mentioned again...

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It doesn't really need to be brought up in the ST, although I guess if someone has to explain how the Force works in Jedi it would need a mention.

I don't see the beef with the midichlorians, there is a reason why some can use the Force and others not. It's the same in comics to some people being mutants (and having the Mutant-X gene like in Marvel) and some being regular people. There is no such thing as magic, as sci-fi Star Wars should provide a science explanation for things.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The midi-chlorians were interesting to me because they added another layer to the Force. To me it didn't demystify the Force but instead enhanced the mystery. There's just so much I want to know about them and how they interact with the Force. So if Episode VII mentions them I'll be quite pleased. Also I just don't want the writers to shy away from anything because it might be controversial. Midi-chlorians are a part of Star Wars just as much as the Force or Jedi and Sith are so they shouldn't be ignored because some didn't like them or misunderstood them.

lbr789 likes this.
  21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Eh, I didn't mind them as a concept, but I did dislike the way they were introduced. It was just one of the not really thought through things they just kinda threw in there and forgot about.
    Kinda like Sifo Dyas.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You mean since ROTS.

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree, leave that on the shelf

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm remembering a signature that Quixotic-Sith had years ago. This isn't verbatim, because it was years ago, but the gist of it was,

"I had midichlorians once. I got a shot and they went away."

Sums up how I feel about seeing them anywhere.

25. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I would prefer that the movie be successful by telling a coherent story. If explaining midi-chlorians enhances the story then I am all for it. However, I became frustrated by the criticisms leveled at the Phantom Menace due to midi-chlorians. Midi-chlorians did not ruin TPM. However, you would not have believed that based on the reviews of the movie. Honestly, we live in the real world and if there is something that has the potential to confuse the casual fan Disney/LFL will avoid it. I agree that ideally the writers should be free to write a good story unencumbered by worries of misunderstanding and controversy. Yet, we all know this is not how it will work. They will remember some of the critiques from the PT and seek to avoid them. I am only saying that defiantly putting the topic of midi-chlorians front and center again invites the possibility of more criticism that may divert attention from the true merits of the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.