main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hints on Lucas' Future

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by GunganSlayer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I wasn't aware of this, but CBS did an interview with George Lucas at Skywalker Ranch that aired today:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50142204n

The interview mostly focuses on his intent to construct an art museum in the Bay Area and the thousands of pieces of artwork he has in his own collection.

Lucas also states he will continue working on those "smaller, personal" films.

Two questions that came to my mind while watching this:

-What is the land ownership of Skywalker Ranch? It is an immense property, and I know that Lucasfilm purchased various parcels of land throughout the course of several decades, but did they remain legally George Lucas'? That is, does Disney own any parts of Skywalker Ranch? Most of the Lucasfilm divisions were moved to the Presidio some years ago, but I think Lucasfilm Animation might still be located on one the facilities on the Ranch. I'm just curious; I mean, from the looks of it, Lucas still seems to control the main portion of the Ranch.

-If Lucas ever does get around to making those "smaller, personal" films, how will he produce them? Will he use Lucasfilm? American Zoetrope? Or just release independently, if he chooses to release them at all?

I'm glad to see he seems content and I think it's great he's still involving himself with the arts and the public.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Good question. The vast majority of the land was also secured with agricultural easements over the years so we wont see much, if any, further development on the ranch.
    Lucasfilm Animation still has the facility at Big Rock(I think that's it's name). You can see the interior of this facility in some of the BTS footage on TCW DVDs.
    But I really don't know if Lucas kept the ranch as a separate land owning company and then leased it to LFL or if he sold it all lock-stock-and barrel.
    But Disney does own those companies occupying the places. I just dont know how the ownership works out for the real estate.

As for his films. I assume they will either be produced through Lucasfilm or perhaps something akin to his JAK production banner he created for the PT.

3. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Lovely video. I was already smiling three seconds in when the subtle, and perhaps unconscious line was drawn between the White House and the palace at Theed, both Euro-inspired structures of democracy. If only both could be led by idealistic teenage girls rather than ruby-eyed corporate reptiles and their remote control killer robots (Sio Bibble has his conspiracy theories, I'm sure).

George's comment that he originally planned to be an illustrator strikes particularly close to home for me. As it happens, I'm typing this comment in the midst of a prerequisite drawing class at the Alberta College of Art + Design with the hope of qualifying for an illustration degree, a desire in no small part influenced by how GL's movies hacked into my brain early in life. It's strange and touching to hear him talk about exactly the crossroad I'm facing at the moment. White-bearded mentors delivering long-distance guidance through invisible energy waves...sheesh.

This is the kind of news story that does a lot to alleviate the pain of seeing Lucasfilm turned over to dullish exploders of cheap nerd mayhem like Abrams. And it's inspiring to see the Flannelled One enjoying his 'Episode III' so much. Even the snickering newcasters at the end of the video, and the cynical commenters that are surely typing their 500-character manifestos elsewhere in the blogosphere, can't quite ruin the high. I'll be sure to pay a visit to his new digs in San Fran once the doors are built and open for true believers - until then, I rather think I owe it to him to get back to work.

SlashMan, Ingram_I, FRAGWAGON and 7 others like this.
  4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007

Your quickly becoming my new favorite person on here.[face_coffee]

Here, here.=D==D==D==D=

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd rather see just one of those smaller, personal films than the entirety of the Disney Lucasfilm plan. Although I'll leave room to amend that statement if said plan could somehow allow for a Lucas directed Willow sequel.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for posting this video, GunganSlayer. Most excellent!

BRAVO!

All that aside, I just want that video screen/wall.

Ah, that's cool!

You should send George a message with a discreet link to your site. [face_mischief]

Y'know, "illustrator" is a very apt term for someone like George Lucas. To illustrate is to clarify. And illustrate used to mean to illuminate or enlighten.

Likewise for your good self. You've already taken your first step into a larger world. And encouraged others to take theirs. :cool:

"The end is, you either look at the world through cynical eyes or through idealistic eyes."

"I don't see anything wrong with having an idealistic, sentimental, fun point of view, especially for people that are growing up."

"I had a great Chapter One, I had an even better Chapter Two, and I have high hopes for Chapter Three."

This is an optimistic élan to live by.

And on that note...

I don't read "snickering" from those newscasters at the end. Charlie Rose and the lady at the desk seem genuinely uplifted by the video segment and happy for George. Happiness begets happiness. :)

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Rose has interviewed George in the past and was really nice to him. I don't detect snickering or anything like that at all.

8. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Looking back, I may have been projecting a little. The sheer breadth of mass-media contempt for the guy over the years doesn't excuse any reciprocal cynicism on my part.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    You know, I find it strange that there isn't a museum like the one he is planning already. I can't wait for the day I can plan a trip to check it out.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I see that Lucas' collection includes "Daybreak" by Maxfield Parrish... I love that painting.

Coincidentally it was used as the cover to an obscure album that I love (or loved--I haven't listened to it in a long time): "The Waking Hour" by Dali's Car (a short-lived collaboration between former Bauhaus singer Peter Murphy and former Japan bass player Mick Karn). Funny how those things work.

ShaneP, Cryogenic and StarWarsVerses like this.
  11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    My dial-up can't download video easily, but this much can be gleaned from your comments: Lucas is a tragic figure. He started out as a vibrant filmmaker but lost his soul in the subsequent decades. It's been painful hearing stories about him raising children, falling in love, revolutionizing cinema, donating billions to charity, and financing art museums.

He's like Charles Foster Kane and Darth Vader rolled up into one monstrous, flanneled husk.

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Darth Vader donated to charity? :p

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    In a rare burst of reproachful glee, I think that was drg on sarcasm overdrive. ;)

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, I know, I was just being sarcastic back :p

15. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    One thing I'll say that's interesting about the video-- almost all the SW clips are TPM, plus one bit from ROTS. Maybe it's to link up with the artwork on display and the Naboo-esque visions of a blue-eyed, grassy, ornately architectured Northern California. But damn, it's nice to see the Prequels given some self-evident love for what they are as cinematic objects of sheer beauty.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Now there was a distinctive voice. Funny you mention Japan. You like any of Sylvain's solo stuff? His collabs with Fripp I love.

I had no idea George co-owned a comic shop.

He was one of the original geeks.

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Not to derail the thread :), but yeah I love the Sylvian & Fripp album (I'm a big Fripp fan, as well). And I saw Peter Murphy live a couple of years ago, he's great live. BTW just the other day he announced that he's going to tour again this year and play only old Bauhaus stuff, so I'm going to be there again.

ShaneP likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would think that his "personal films" (which I would love to see) would be released by Lucasfilm productions, I can't see Disney throwing him all out the door. Maybe distributed by / has a Touchstone Pictures label slapped on it.

19. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is awesome. He just keeps doing awesome stuff. His "retirement" will put entire average careers to crying shame.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Nice to see George looking well (I did wonder whether the decision of "off load" Star Wars and LFL might be becuase he was sick) and its great to see that he's going to share his art with the world.

21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Loved his response to the anti-Rockwell snobbery. The negative reactions to his work are from the same soulless place.

22. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, he's thinned out again!

Andy Wylde and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Gonna be interesting what kind of movies Lucas will do

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    If he will do them at all.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    He'll do at least one, I'm guessing. Just one. Will take 10 years to complete. Then he joins the neitherworld of the Force.