main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "Chosen One" prophecy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Mar 4, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Was it intended to ensure that no further conflict occurs after ROTJ?

Klingon Padawan likes this.
  2. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Yes and no. Removing the Sith did not remove all evil in the galaxy, but it did rid the galaxy of at least one evil group that was a threat to the galaxy.

On the other hand, there were some post ROTJ Sith lords, such as Darth Krayt. So, the prophecy plotline is a bit contradictory, that's why I don't like it. The story would be simpler without it.

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This is not an expanded universe thread.

J_Girl and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    then the title of this thread is contradictory

if it's not an EU thread

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How? The thread is about why GL created the prophecy.

6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    then the answer to your thread is no.

7. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    'Bring balance to the Force' - hmm, could have been.

I suppose that's been retconned in the EU, and will have to be rectonned for the new trilogy because what's Star Wars without Sith villains?

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Star Wars without Sith villains is NJO..which was pretty damn good.

Klingon Padawan likes this.
  9. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I agree. Perhaps I should have clarified - a Star Wars movie :p

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Stop mini-modding. -Darth Boba

11. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    The answer to the question is no.

12. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    The Chosen One was, if I'm not mistaken, foretelling the Rule of Two and the fact that Sidious and his master's plan to bring the destruction of the Jedi would actually work, unlike all of the other tries. The Chosen One was corrupted, but he eventually brought balance by taking out the man responsible for the death of all the Jedi and swaying the galaxy toward the dark side.

Sith existing does not equal no balance. Thus, Sith can still exist after 6.

13. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Yah, with the new trilogy on the way, I doubt the prophecy is going to matter much..well I'm ok with that, I was never to fond of that stupid prophecy.

14. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    Star Wars fans also once thought that Luke's father had been killed by Darth Vader.

Things can change. It's not out of the realm of possibility that a force sensitive being can take up the ways of the Sith after Episode VI.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Only for the films.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I intended this thread to be about GL's 1999 intent, but what they'll do with it in the ST is an interesting topic too.

17. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Neither was I. The prophecy put too much importance to the character of Darth Vader.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think Lucas' intention was to give the PT more importance than just "the backstory"

19. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Considering the Saga is about him how can it give him too much importance?

20. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The prophecy idea was only born in Episode 1. I think that's what Klingon Padawan was referring to. Those who watched the OT first just saw Vader as one Jedi of many, who decided to betray and murder the others. Then all of a sudden it turns out he was this prophesized Chosen One. I think the saga could have been successful without the Chosen One plot, but I don't think the story suffers at all with the importance placed on Anakin.

21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Personally, I believe that the Prophecy enhanced the story of the films. Placing so much importance on Anakin Skywalker made his fall to the Dark Side even more tragic. To someone viewing the prequels first, it seems as though Mace Windu was right and Anakin was not ready for this task and that maybe he was not the Chosen One. To those who saw the originals first, the tragedy lies in the fact that so much evil had to be committed before Anakin could actually fulfill his destiny (with the help of his son) and destroy the Sith.

22. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I also like the idea of the prophecy. I believe it adds to the mythology by adding a guiding force to the story, other than sheer coincidence.

SnakeWesker likes this.
  23. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    [face_rofl]

Sitara likes this.
  24. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Vader was not a main character until ROTJ. So making Vader the "Chosen One" destroys Vader's sacrifce- it was intended to happen all along. And wouldn't Obi-Wan mention the Prophecy to Luke or at least Yoda in the Originial Trilogy?

25. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It is shown throughout the prequels that some Jedi, Mace Windu in particular, never never had much faith in the fact that Anakin was the Chosen One. Yoda himself even said that the Prophecy could have been misread. When Anakin became Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith and committed such evil deeds as slaughtering younglings in the Jedi Temple, Obi-Wan and Yoda more than likely agreed that Anakin was not the Chosen One (note that, in Return of the Jedi, Yoda wanted Luke to confront Vader, not convert him from the Dark Side) and thus would have no reason to mention the Prophecy to Luke.