main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I think they were going to have Osborn actually mutate into the Goblin face. Jekyll-and-Hyde and so forth.

Life likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ya know, they didn't really need to have a mask or anything since he's Willem freakin' Dafoe.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    As Weird Al said, he's scarier without it on :p

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think so. My argument is not simply that one must risk their life to be heroic. Several factors are involved. One important issue, for instance, is that both Superman and Tobey Maguire's Spiderman spent time actively patrolling to stop crime. They were happy to inconvenience themselves or miss personally significant events in order to help others. Thus, even when they were doing relatively mundane deeds, there was clear evidence of the altruistic spirit behind it. By contrast, even at his single best moment in the movie, the new Spiderman was still doing what was in some sense a convenient deed. He helped because he happened to be there and there was nothing better to do.

I would say that "risking failure" is a pretty weak argument. At some level I don't find it very plausible. People are generally pretty understanding about these things, which is why "Good Samaritan" laws are so widespread. Even when someone attempts to help and does grossly the wrong thing, it's rare that they receive a huge deal of scorn for it. Likewise, it seems somewhat contradictory to notion of heroism that he should be so concerned with his public image that this would represent a serious obstacle at all.

Having said all that, I do agree that it represents a turn away from vigilantism and towards compassion. As I said, it's a nice, laudable moment. But this isn't a dichotomy. There are more possible ways to understand an action than "selfish" or "heroic." I would argue that his actions on that bridge lie somewhere on the wide continuum in-between where most people act. Perhaps more problematically, I don't see where he really follows up on it in the film with other things that display his clear regard and concern for others. The movie is so very much about him (without, oddly, being very personal at all) that most all of his actions can be traced back to some motive of personal benefit without much difficulty.

5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Wocky you seem to conveniently forget that this is still his origin story, where Peter is still learning lessons about power and responsibility and overcoming his inherent selfishness. The story isn't finished and neither is his growth into the character of Spider-Man. Raimi's Spider-Man blew through that in about 40 mins: efficient but not very compelling. YMMV as to the success of Amazing but what you are moaning about is still well within the spirit and canon of the character. You are taking into perspective only first act of a three act story arc with Amazing Spider-Man and comparing it to the entirety of the Raimi Trilogy (which consisted of three separate story arcs). Have some patience, the story isn't finished yet, not is Peter's growth.

Now can we please move **** on already?!? This was old pages ago. Now it's just obnoxious and ******* tedious.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

This makes me a bit sad. If Raimi was planning on erasing the stain of Spider-Man 3 and besting the critically-acclaimed Spider-Man 2, I would have been quite delighted to see the finished product. Unfortunate. I just hope that the reboot films can strike the same magic as Spider-Man 2.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Nobody is forcing you to continue the discussion. He wasn't even replying to you.

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Can we One More Day this thread?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    It's sad that I have to point out that this "discussion" is wocky trolling everyone again and completely derailing the thread. And FWIW if you follow this present line of trolling back far enough, he was indeed responding to a conversation I was having. It's been going on for a little too long...

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Gee dude, you're the one that always says "don't feed the troll" when Wocky warps into a thread with his usual repertoire. Why are you forgetting your own advice? Ignore him. I usually prefer to correct him when he's absolutely wrong about something he states as fact. He hardly ever replies to acknowledge his mistake and that's the end of that. :p

11. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm not forgetting my own advice, I'm asking we move on. Correcting him is all well and good, but the problem with that is when someone points out his error he shifts the goalposts either creating such a limited definition that his argument couldn't possible be wrong, or ignoring excellent points and continuing on a different barely related tack. He's not going to change his position and this argument has persisted for quite a while without any ground made. I'd like to move on to other subject matter but it keeps getting buried discussion with him.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  13. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Good to see they are continuing with the Ultimate Spider-Man influence.

14. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Aww rats. I was still holding out for some green and gold. :p

15. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    We have two new pictures.

[​IMG]

Dane Dehaan as Harry Osborn

[​IMG]

Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon aka Electro...pre-Electro I'd expect, sporting the worst comb-over known to man.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is this movie set at a terrible-haircut convention or something?

17. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Sam Neill is playing Harry Osborn?

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [face_sick] [face_sick]

Harry Osborn looks like he's deathly ill and deformed or something, and Electro looks like a disgusting creep.

19. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Disgusting Avatar blue creep. :D

20. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Now that's more like it.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I do like how he's posed to make sure we can see that they haven't ****** with the gloves this time round. The fact that the pose makes him look like squirrel isn't important.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    ...You people are looking at his gloves? Seriously? That is a shot for the ladies and nothing more.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Baman makes an appearance and then they go to his house because they're best friends.

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Batman doesn't have friends! He's too edgy.