main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    But the EU didn't undo anything in that case, the New Mandalorians were just incorporated into the pre-existing Mandalorian lore.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    They incorporated squat, TCW just wasn't explicit enough in order to replace the Mandalorians as we know them with the New Mandalorians.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    On purpose.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You're just encouraging him.

5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU undid the concept that all of Mandalore was a barren desert, instead stating that only portions of the world were desert. It also re-asserted that there are existing, non-Death Watch Mandalorian warriors in existence at the time, and living on Mandalore; they weren't all shipped off to die out on Concordia. It declared that the series-introduced city of Sundari is not the capital of Mandalore, but specifically the capital of the New Mandalorians, while Keldabe remains the planetary capital city. There were a good few series assertions, backed up by such sources as the new StarWars.com Encyclopedia and the many episode guides, that needed to be undone in order to allow that incorporation to occur, rather than blatant replacement.

Jaster Vhett likes this.
  6. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I do wonder where he gets the energy. Five years(!) is a long time to hold one note.

Mia Mesharad: It is interesting that no one really freaked out when the Republic Commando books suddenly decreed that Jango was not the last of the Mandalorians,which had been the established wisdom since forever.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Heh. Yeah. And again I ask why does the Holocron exists if your coworkers just deliberately go out of their way to contradict pre-established material?

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the Holocron's more what you'd call guidelines...

9. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    What are they, pirates? Oh, wait...stupid question...

If by forever you mean since 2002, when Hayden Blackman decided that he was going to ignore the existing Marvel comics featuring Fenn Shysa, the Mandalorian Protectors, and a whole planet of Mandalorians when he wrote Jango Fett: Open Seasons. This of course led Abel G. Pena to subsequently introduce the retcon that Jango was only the last of the True Mandalorian faction with The History of the Mandalorians Insider article.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He didn’t really; he just followed the logical assumption that not everyone on Mandalore will be a Warrior, just like it was shown in Marvel, also nothing in Open Season prevents the Protectors from being founded from scratch.

11. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    "I sense the victor will be a bounty hunter named...Jango Fett! The last of the Mandalorians..."

"Decades ago, the mercenary group known as the Mandalorians fractured..."

Direct quotes from the first issue of Open Seasons. Seems like as far as Hayden Blackman's concerned, the Mandalorians aren't a people, but a mercenary group, and Jango Fett's definitely the last of them. Which yes, does plainly conflict with the existing Marvel comics and needed a little help from Abel to get back in line.

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    They aren't, per Traviss, Kotor and TOR they are a cult, mimicking a long lost race and worshiping aspects of warfare.

Yes, until a certain someone came along and felt there should be millions upon millions of them. ;) After all as you mentioned The History of the Mandalorians make it very clear that Spar had to start pretty much from scratch to make the Protectors, which Fenn had to do again, leading farmers in an underground movement, because the planets own government was enslaving the planets population for the Empire.

Not really, it just assumes a different definition for the term Mandalorian, of which there seem to be at least two different ones floating around. One sticks the term to followers of the warrior cult (however loosely they may really believe in it) the other one seems to be any inhabitants of Mandalore.

13. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    :rolleyes: Okay, you twist it however you want. I'm not derailing the thread to deal with it.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Learned from the best ;)
    http://www.karentraviss.com/page10/files/Why_is_there_a_Verpine_in_Hard_.html

Lets better, Mando stuff is messed up beyond any hope anyway, it would really been easier for everyone if Jango really was the last.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Like I keep saying: the solution's in the name: Clone Wars. Clone Wars.

Sometimes I feel like the only person that really gets it is Zahn. At least he had the foresight to retcon Post-NJO into a Clone War. They should get him to do another book in the PT that can do the same for TCW. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And then TCW took it even further and made the Battle of Galidraan make more sense... because a handful of Jedi wiping out the armoured Mandalorians is a tad strange if there are millions of them...

17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Well before the PT, Boba Fett had been referred to as the "Last of the Mandalorians." That's what I was talking about, rather than Open Seasons. Besides the Marvel Comics, relegated to a kind of fuzzy continuity limbo for decades, no other work had ever mentioned Mandos beyond Fett. The closest we got was Jodo Kast, who was specifically a Boba Fett impostor who had found a similar rare and ancient set of Supercommando armor and made a living trying to pass himself off as Fett.

How does all this relate to TCW? The history of the Mandalorians was a pretty blank slate before AotC, yet they are now one of our most fleshed-out cultures. Any time such rapid growth happens in fiction, there are going to be oopsies.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Continuity? We are pirates! We don't even know what that word means!

The EU in general is filled with oopsies, retcons, and especially inconsistent characterization. It has to do with TCW because...well, TCW is part of that evolution of Mandolorian culture. Some people feels it was annoying and unnecessary, while others, such as myself, thought that it ended up bridging the gap between the older Mandolorian lore and the newer stuff.

19. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Well really, since The History of the Mandalorians, it was stated that it was only Jaster/Jango's personal army of armored warriors that were wiped out by the Jedi on Galidraan. Republic Commando, TCW, and especially Jason Fry's bridging Shadow Conspiracy novel have all contributed to the idea that the Mandalorian survived, whether armored warrior clans or unarmored New Mandalorians. In the end, TCW works, it just needed a Fry-nudge to get back in line.

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm gonna leave the canon talk to y'all, but I like the idea of a "Fry-nudge." Even if my 10-year-old doesn't feel the same way when his videogame time has expired.

21. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Any relation to a Philip J. ?

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's why Jason will always be my second-favorite Fry. [face_not_talking]

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Shysa and Dala are still the Mandalorians (in my opinion)... ;)

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...somehow, that listing makes a horrifying kind of sense.

Guys, it's Saturday--and no new episodes to freak out about for at least six months! :_|