main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What Changed to Prompt Lucas to Outline an ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LunarMoth, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

They have his treatments, and they can do anythign they want with them. The head of Disney is telling you in black and white terms that they are in control of the property and have complete creative control. This is black and white. Lucas has no say, they are telling you that themselves. He will have as much or as little input in the direction they go as Disney sees fit. Fans just don't want to accept what is begin told to them, by Disney or Lucas.

There is quote after quote out there of Lucas speaking on this. The man wants to move on, it's why he did it. He wants to focus on small projects and philanthropy. He doesn't want the role you guys want him to take. People just don't want to accept it.

today on March 3rd. Disney controls the property. Lucas is helping transition Kennedy into head of Lucasfilm. The man is done with Star Wars

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Dude, you're beating your head against a wall. As you've noticed, some people are going to believe what they want about George's involvement, and it does you no good to argue with them. You'll just wind up in a loony bin repeating over and over " He has no say, he has no say, he has no say". :)

3. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm fine with it. It passes the time. It's not like I'm wrong :D

Eventually, people will come to see it for what it is

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    this is off topic but im glad George is opening up his art museum! Thats perfect for him and hes still going to work on some movies on the side!

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But, they won't. Mark my words, if these movies are good, there will be those who are convinced that they're good because of George's involvement. There will also be those who are convinced that the movies are good because of George's lack of involvement. It will become the new "PT vs OT" argument. It is the future I see. :)

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Lucas ABSOLUTELY is not done. He is stepping out of the pressures of the day to day operation, and the fan/critic pressure cooker. His voice will be heard and his basic storylines will be around for a good while. He will not be micromanaging like he did in the PT (obviously), but it is unrealistic to think that he didn't set up a situation where his voice would be heard in the story and making of the movies.

Darth Chiznuk and T-R- like this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You're probably right. Never underestimate the fanboy's power of denial.

Here's another Lucas quote.

He's done. The guy has been nothing but upfront about his intentions, and people would rather lie to themselves. It's fascinating in it's own way

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To be fair he's been saying that stuff about making more independent/experimental films since the 80's I wouldn't put to much credence into it.

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Lee and I agree on this point.

Anybody want to change their minds to agree with us after reading the Lucas/Bloomberg interview?

Lee_ and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What did he say in that, can you link the interview you are referring to?

11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    http://www.businessweek.com/article...-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The whole article in general, but specifically:

Lucas announced in January that he was engaged to Mellody Hobson, a Chicago money manager, and he has been spending much of his time in her hometown. Even so, he’s attended story meetings for the new film, adjudicating the physical laws and attributes of the Star Wars universe. “I mostly say, ‘You can’t do this. You can do that,’ ” Lucas says. “You know, ‘The cars don’t have wheels. They fly with antigravity.’ There’s a million little pieces. Or I can say, ‘He doesn’t have the power to do that, or he has to do this.’ I know all that stuff.”

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    OK, I went through that and I come away thinking the same thing I did before, he's done. We already knew he was going to act as a consultant, and that quote above is pretty basic stuff. They guy is doing exactly what he said he was going to do, turn Lucasfilms over to Kennedy, transition to Disney, and retire.

If anything, that article confirms it that much more.

14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    And if that doesn't, this will (emphasis mine):

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

It's clear, Lucas has been upfront about his plans to retire. People just don't want to accept it for whatever reasons.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Seriously? You said the consultant role was having him "out of the way" and that "Lucas has no say."

This story and quote show that he is involved, with say.

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He is retiring, no doubt, but he is involved, with say, in the ST.

18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I stand by what I said. Disney is in control, they can do whatever they want. Lucas by his own design has stepped aside. The fact that he's willing to answer questions doesn't change that. You need to read that article again and understand what it's really telling you. The guy who seperated himself from Hollywood's power structure to maintain control over his movies is now selling his properties back into that system, to retire.

That article is making my point, not yours.

Even if he's willing to answer questions. Lucas has been upfront about that too, that he will consult and answer their questions and help transition Lucasfilms to Kennedy's control. But the guy is stepping out. There is no doubt about it. None.

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He's sitting in on story meetings, telling the new team how the universe works, which proves the point that he is involved - contrary to your post saying he was be put aside and that the consultant role was just a nice way of saying he's out the door.

He is retiring, but IS an ACTIVE consultant.

Lee_ and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Girls, girls, you're BOTH pretty... ;)

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    A reminder of what you said.

The interview makes it clear Lucas IS playing in the sandbox and is not out of the way.

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I bet you say that to all the guys.........;)

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You can believe whatever you want, but the guy is done. He doesn't want this anymore, he's on to a new chapter.

If he just wanted to take some pressure off, he wouldn't have sold the property. He could have just promoted Kennedy and maintained control.

He chose to sell it off for a reason, people just don't want to accept that reason.

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lucas is advising that's all. He has some rough ideas and can say where he wanted to go with this theme or that arc, but ultimately whether they chose too or not will be down to Disney.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Exactly,

fett 4 likes this.