main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas confirms (almost) Big Three return!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    All I can say is YES! We all knew it was going to happen but still you never know...

What are the odds of a Solo death scene you think?

2. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Its 99% confirmed now that GL has said it.Now all we need is SW.Com to post it.

3. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Hell yeah!! BRING IT!!
    [​IMG]

4. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    "C" is for cookie...

Alright, I'm in for the '3' as fact.

5. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    George would not lie to us like that... he might have slipped up by forgetting about their 'whoop-de-do', but the Flannel One ^:)^ saying it is good enough for me.

=D= Yes!!!! [face_dancing] Yes!!! [face_party] Yes!!! :D

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I read the full article and the more I think about this (taking the whole article in consideration), I think Lucas was serious about signing the big three because its his way of retaining a little bit of control of "His universe" (sorry not trying to copy Ashley's company). He backtracks his comments in order to protect him from Disney wrath, especially if they are planning to have a big announcement party.

eDisc and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  7. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Indeed the wrath of the Empire Disney is not be taken lightly!

8. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Lucas asked if she was interested in taking over Lucasfilm. Kennedy may have been blindsided by the news, but she happily accepted the position. “When Kathy came on, we started talking about starting up the whole franchise again,” he says. “I was pulling away, and I said, ‘Well, I’ve got to build this company up so it functions without me, and we need to do something to make it attractive.’ So I said, ‘Well, let’s just do these movies.’ ”

Lucas and Kennedy hired screenwriter Michael Arndt, who won an Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine, to begin work on the script for Episode VII. They enlisted Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the screenplays for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, to act as a consultant. Lucas started talking to members of the original Star Wars cast, such as Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, about appearing in the films. In June 2012, he called Iger.

In the five months of negotiations that followed, Lucas argued that the best people to make the next Star Wars trilogy would be his longtime Lucasfilm executives. “I had a group of very, very talented people that had worked for the company for many, many years and really knew how to market Star Wars, how to do the licensing and make the movies,” Lucas explains. “I said, ‘I think it would be wise to keep some of this intact. We need a few people to oversee the property, you know, who are just dedicated to doing that, so we’re sure we get this right.’”

Interesting........so the screenplay has been in the work for a much longer time than I previously thought.

What we also know is that Pablo Hidalgo first heard about the ST last June....as stated on his SW blog.

So George Lucas has been planning a ST for a long time......with our without Disney involvement.

I think we are in for the most "interesting" (possibly best) trilogy yet....

Why ?

Lucas seems frustrated about the Prequels legacy....and......you always save the best for the last.

Iger’s willingness to let Lucasfilm remain intact with Kennedy at the helm paid off almost immediately. Before the deal closed in late December, she reached out to J.J. Abrams’s agent to see if he would direct Episode VII. “He was very quick to say, ‘No, I don’t think I want to step into that,’ ” she says. “He was immersed in finishing [Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to his first Star Trek movie]. He felt that he might be exploring territories that were too similar.”
    Kennedy persisted. She visited Abrams at the Santa Monica headquarters of Bad Robot, his production company, with Arndt and Kasdan. “By the time we finished, which was a couple of hours later, he had really gone 180 degrees,” she says.

and

Once Lucas got assurances from Disney in writing about the broad outlines of the deal, he agreed to turn over the treatments—but insisted they could only be read by Iger, Horn, and Kevin Mayer, Disney’s executive vice president for corporate strategy. “We promised,” says Iger. “We had to sign an agreement.”
    When Iger finally got a look at the treatments, he was elated. “We thought from a storytelling perspective they had a lot of potential,” he says.

source : http://www.businessweek.com/article...-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

Episode Swag, Padme501st and Han Yolo like this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So we have the Latino Review reporting Harrison is under contract, Mark Hamill reporting that they are in 'talks', Carrie 'confirming' her involvement and now the Flannel One has come straight out and said they are signed! GL's comments alone are enough for me but taking everything else into account I'd say it's pretty obvious that they're all in! The Big 3 are back and now we can all[face_party]

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Speak for yourself. The involvment of those 3 could never possibly have been foreseen by people. This news is out of nowhere!

If people had even a thought that they would be involved, our EpVII forum would have been spammed to hell with hundreds of redundant threads on the subject.

11. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm goinna run throgh the town naked with a lightsaber singing the Emperial March :cool:^:)^

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Be careful you don't slice off anything... important. :p

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I already beat you to it! ;):p

Vicious Jedi likes this.
  14. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    [​IMG]
    Hey, J-GIRL, that's copyright infringement!:p

StoneRiver, Rawne and J_Girl like this.
  15. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    [face_laugh] Actually, it was more of a Meg Ryan in When Harry met Sally kind of thing, but this works, too!

STARBOB likes this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, thank the Force that hasn't happened...

17. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Your move, Carrie Fisher's rep...

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    What is the point in bringing back all three - Hamill, Ford and Fisher? So that fans can relive the so-called "glory days"? This is not great news to me. It's just . . . meh. I only hope that most of the new trilogy's main characters are not going to be the "Big Three". I don't mind if one of them turns out to be a main character. But all three? What for?

Lady_Skywalker87 and fett 4 like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Hey, it seems to me that GL also let it slip that there will be speeders in the film! Why is this not being talked about in a dozen threads? :p

20. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, from that article and other bits and clues it does seem to indicate that Lucas has had this in the works for sometime, which doesn't surprise me. I think it makes sense. He's worked on this outline treatment, they hired a writer, and it seems they basically had Ford, Fisher, and Hamill on board all before Lucasfilm was sold. Great move by Lucas to make Lucasfilm a more attractive company to potential buyers and to inject a bit of his influence on the story as he exits the stage and enters retirement.

Padme501st and DarthBreezy like this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    It's so weird , I never imagined this would ever happen , well not since the late 90's when Lucas made it clear there wouldn't be a 3rd trilogy .

what's next ? Sean Connery to make another Bond film ?

22. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Well then you're the only one dude [face_laugh][face_laugh]

23. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    So they can tell the story they won't to tell? I don;t think we can make a judgment call one way or the other. The things we do know if that the people who have read the treatments are thrilled about the story. Perhaps they want to bring back all three because they can help transition this story into a new phase with a new generation? Not sure why people on both sides of the aisle keep reading "return of the big three" as :Big three to be only characters in film doing all their personal stunts to fight off another empire all by themselves."

24. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Everyone acts as if there was some big deception going on with regards to JJ when there wasn't. He flat-out said that he was offered Star Wars Ep VII and passed on the project.. What changed between the time he made that statement and the time that he was officially confirmed as the director of Ep VII is that Kathleen Kennedy wouldn't take 'no' for an answer and kept trying to persuade him to join the project until he finally said 'yes'.

We're looking at an entirely different situation here with this Lucas comment; he clearly realized that he slipped up and gave away too much information and immediately tried to 'save face', which is entirely understandable.

Padme501st and kevmp like this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hells yeah!

[face_dancing]

With that out of the way, it's a good article too.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.