main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A Uranus-type planet in the habitable zone of its star, might come close to combining both "all parts of the planet experience day and night" with "one part is deadly hot day and another deadly cold night".

Though the deadly hot and deadly cold parts, would swap every year, rather than remaining the same.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    How long could we theoretically stretch out that cycle past Uranus' 42 years? Centuries?

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is- you'd need a huge star to have a habitable zone out that far. And huge stars have very short lifetimes. There's also a limit- I think on the order of 200 x our sun's mass.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

"all parts" of inhabited space only? all parts that we saw onscreen? all parts of the entire planet? he was vague :p

and of course I agree there with you, i want a lasting retcon too. but I doubt a temporary rotation is more likely to stick to canon. it works now but what in 5 years when Legacy has Ania Solo visit Ryloth?

canon forward would be: Ryloth rotates, it only got stones and tatooine-esque terrain. thus to preserve the ice side and the stories we had take place there, we do need a solution that can work in any era, any time. not just shorttime or till they show tcw styled planets in other eras.

if tech made it rotate for a while only... we can't have some group kick it to rotation every time it is depicted wrong.. one day they will show it rotating parlell to another story where it does not. what then? eh?

6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    as we said already, second axis of rotation and it will not swap.. without that, we need to stretch the cycle.. though cycles mean no city is bound to last on Ryloth and they need to move as Coop said before. and if I am right, isn't the same city seen in TOTJ era that we have prominent still on Ryloth in Prequel comics as well as in OT era WEG books and YJK? if so, the cycle does not work since it always was the same city and no cycle can be long enough to fit them all.. it needs to be tenths of millennia for a cycle then to work and keep the same city in habitable zone for millennia or centuries.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [face_worried] :_|

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we definitively seen any one city in multiple eras? If anything, given that the EU and TCW give it two different capital cities already, they could have a number of "capitals" scattered around the world depending on what the planet is doing at any one moment. If one happens to show up at multiple points in the timeline, well, those two stories just happen to line up in the wobble/rotation cycle.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    well we got their underground cave cities in TOTJ, Aayla/Quinlan comics pre-AOTC, WEG Era books, YJK... so at least from pre-TPM to YJK era one cycle has them continously using the same city for close to a century.. so a cycle needs to be much longer than that.

then again, I found a new favourite theory... :p

Ryll spice... people who visited Ryloth got too much since it is used in every food there and thus believ many things they see that are not actually there... ooooh those nice halluzinations. ;)

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Going by the Wook, at least, Kala'uun only shows up by name in the X-Wing material. I for one am happy to fudge reference material as long as actual stories are safe.

Iron_lord and CeiranHarmony like this.
  10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    ok... something just hit me... the iceside of Ryloth.. so far it only was in reference work and YJK I believe. otherwise not shown/used aside mentioned that it exists. With YJK featuring it most prominently and en detail. So.. does anybody here remember if there it was shown in darkness/shadows or dailight? can't remember if the Solokids used lightsabers or glowrods to navigate the icelands or if they could see due to daylight or else. cause if iceside got daylight, rotation may be not the issue.. we just have to dump the tidal lock as galactic rumor (that even Voren Naal picked up on :p) and explain the ice or frozen lands with some other means or tech below the ice keeping it frozen.. that'd be easier than say giving a planet a spin for a while or trying to wobble my way through Chee's words of law.

11. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Racer Revenge.

On that note, we already possess a precedent for problematic podracing planet particulars: the creation of Aleen Minor and Aquilaris Minor...although personally I think I prefer the zany superweapon solution. As a Sector Army headquarters, Ryloth makes a not entirely pointless Separatist target.

CeiranHarmony and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    One we could think of for the future: the cloaking device. I'm sure it's easy to say that Cat and Mouse's was simply a different design from the ones on Wayland, but is there already an explanation about why TCW's isn't ever seen again (no pun intended)? Like I said, could be a future quick discussion.

A really high axial tilt. I like it.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You'll never be able to do this without breaking at least some eggs.

And one-off statements from Chee that don't even appear in any kind of real material are the best eggs to break. Because, let's admit it, if Jason writes up the 30-degree-axis solution in the next whatever, is Chee really going to go, "But I said once . . ." ? He can't even keep what's in the Holocron already straight; how's he going to remember some tweet he sent out a couple years ago? I think you're overestimating the permanence of Chee's statements and underestimating his inclination to go along with any idea whatsoever that's presented to him.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's got nothing to do with Chee--what I'm assuming is that he was speaking on behalf of George's opinion.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    question is.. is Chee's word law or only when printed in any canon source? if so then his word is a direction, not final though. and George no longer influences canon, Disney does now. So we can skip the "George said..." thingie I guess. They give directions but no longer have final say.

kubricklynch likes this.
  16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I think Chee tends to assume he knows Lucas's mind better than he really does, judging by his assumption that Yoda has never ever EVER been to Dagobah before based on one line in the screenplay. It seems like he just ran with that rather than asking anyone for clarification.

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    since Ryloth discussion stalled and several good retcons were discussed, I vote for NEXT topic

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Some days I'd really like to ask Chee a question about, say, something like Macbeth's innocence and see if he quoted one line that proved he had done nothing wrong.

Because I regularly get the feeling that's the approach taken to decisions like Dagobah.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I vote for Even Piell, because I would really like to see how anyone is going to get around that insanity. Mistaken identity? There are some sharp minds here. I bet you guys can come up with something plausible.

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Well...Kenobi said in ANH, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Lets just say Even Piell proofed that Obi Wan was right and did what many Force Ghosts did according to WEG rpg material: interact with the physical realm as if still alive till he had helped Jax Pavan one last time and vanished to be one with the Force. And yeah, his Ghost looked like the real deal then, which should be possible given the Force being allmighty.

Mistkane identity and clones are not my favourite retcon for Piell, but I got several ideas, the above being my personal favourite currently since it also explains why/how Jax felt his Master whose signature in the Force he should know and be able to see differences if it was an imposter. Especially since Piell was not seen in many sources during the Clone Wars if any at all aside his EU death post-ROTS. Maybe Jax did learn of Piells TCW death and assumed he survived it somehow when he met him again.. or he never learned of it busy with missions. Anyway.. Piell is Piell.

21. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Somebody secretly cloned him a long time ago and put the clone in as a replacement when the original died?

Did we actually see his body in TCW? I know we saw what looked like him dying, but people have survived worse in the SW universe.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think we saw his body being lowered into lava afterward as a "funeral".

23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Lanniks are fireproof, didn't you know that?

darth fluffy and Esg like this.
  24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I genuinely like the idea that was suggested in the TCW thread a couple of weeks ago about them doing a season about the Separatists having been infiltrating the Jedi Order with doppelgangers the whole time and the wrongful deaths not the real Piell or Gallia or Barriss or whoever, with Anakin defrosting all the real people one day.

Never going to happen, no evidence in the books, but that remains my preferred option, as I'd actually enjoy reading/watching a story like that for its inherently camp B-Movie-esque complete over-the-top-ness.

I mean, after Spidermaul, Dooku replacing figures on the Jedi Council with imposters sounds positively realistic. :p

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    you took my post there seriously? well, that actually still is my second favourite theory after above one ;)

I am still surprised they did not show Yaddle yet in TCW