main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Episode I-III Should of never existed

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by K.J Lord, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K.J Lord

K.J Lord Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    I think the main antagonist, Darth Vader in a A New Hope. Introduced a villain that was mysteriously and universally feared among the trilogy. That is much for certain. But the backstory was unnecessary. The films (1-III) don’t give the Sith Lord justice.

Should of been like this for impact.

Star Wars Episode I: A New Hope
    Star Wars Episode II: The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars Episode III: Return of the Jedi

2. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

For George...

3. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Why is your avatar Darth Maul then? (In before the lock).

4. K.J Lord

K.J Lord Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    Because he's an awesome character that was misused. What is your favorite character?

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Sitara like this.
  5. K.J Lord

K.J Lord Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    I doubt that kid. he had enough of it.

Mata2010 and Valairy Scot like this.
  6. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    My favorite character is Luke Skywalker. I never got why there is so much love for Darth Maul, as he was just there to kill Qui-Gon and get replaced by Count Dooku. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing to your post, I just think it's ironic your talking about how the prequels should never have been made when your avatar is that of a prequel character.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Disagree. The PT was failure but that was down to execution more than anything. The actual story there hinted in the OT is actually very strong

1) Rise of the Empire and fall of the Republic
    2) Destruction of the Jedi the guardians of peace and Justice and rise of the Emperor the evil overlord
    3) The Rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker a a great Jedi/Best friends with Obi-wan and good man who is tragically seduced to the darkside and becomes Darth Vader.
    4) The Clone Wars, this mysterious conflict that was so huge and earth shattering that Luke on an out of the way desert planet 20 years later is still aware of it.
    5) The Mysterious Mrs Vader

I am still not sure how Lucas messed it up but he did but that doesn't change the fact there there is a great story or stories out of those points.

8. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Removed by me.

9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Should have.

10. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Don't kid me. Mate. Had enough of what exactly? Money? You've got to be joking. Star Wars? Well obviously not. Anyway it was about money. There was a resurgance of interest in Star Wars in the 90s due to the Thrawn trilogy. George saw his chance to make more money so he did and who can blame him. If you were sitting on an enormous pile of potential cash would you pass it up or would you make a few more Star Wars films? Hmmm.

11. K.J Lord

K.J Lord Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    There would of been a greater impact on the character. if the prequel trilogy wasn't made for Vader. I can still like certain characters.

12. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    He was never really the main antagonist. The Emperor was. Even Tarkin and the Imperial goose-steppers of ANH are more purely vilainous forces than Vader. Yeah, he looked scary and acted tough, but read between the lines and you can see him as the fallen hero with just enough nobility intact to be something of an ambiguous anti-hero. He only ever force-chokes Imperial goons, and still holds true to his Jedi beliefs in the face of unadulterated militarism. He doesn't trust the Death Star, and by extension the genocide it represents (remember-- Tarkin blew up Alderann, not him). Vader was always more than just an antagonist, so having his backstory as a troubled hero may not be necessary,but it doesn't do him a disservice.

And yeah. Maul as an avatar, but the Prequels shouldn't have existed? Paradox.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and lbr789 like this.
  13. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    This argument feels eerily like Han shot first to me.

14. K.J Lord

K.J Lord Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    Just because Star wars was successful doesn't mean he was greedy. His plans were to create 12 films. And some filmmakers are passionate about making films.

15. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    No. He made one film for release in 1977 and it was a gamble. No one thought it would work. When it was a success he made plans for more films but those were always in flux. Have a read of this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy

Of course he loved making films. Never denied that but the fact is he has constantly pushed and pushed his 2 franchises Star Wars and Indiana Jones and that is unquestionably due to the money aking potential of those franchises. Just look at Darth Maul. He's a straight-to-action-figure character if I ever saw one.

16. K.J Lord

K.J Lord Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    I know all that. That doesn't mean he is greedy that just means he will continue to make more like initially planned.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Sigh.

Not again.

18. Sir Cronal

Sir Cronal Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2013
    Why all the hate towards the prequels? It makes me feel like we're back in 1999.

19. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I apologize for going to the well a third time, but I've only got one response to the OP's argument: [face_laugh]

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Mata2010 like this.
  21. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Why do you hate the prequels so much?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  22. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Uhm, I'm not sure about that. He did kinda kill Obi Wan...then he murdered rebel pilots one by one to protect the Death Star and 'the genocide it represented', and tried to kill Luke as well. He also choked rebel fighters. He got Han Solo put into Carbonite and thus intended for him to be frozen for eternity.

23. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Well if you expect greatness and receive mediocrity you aren't going to look kindly on that mediocrity because the shortfall between your expectations and reality is larger than if you expect mediocrity and receive just that.

24. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    He choked one rebel officer. And really, any rebels he killed even while protecting the Death Star are under the condition of warfare, and fair game. Even targetting Yavin is a far cry from Tarkin's decision to blast Alderann-- one is an insurrectionary military enclave, the other is a planet full of non-agressors.

In each OT film, Vader is contrasted against the agents of the Empire and the Emperor himself, all of them worse than him. He may not be a white hat, but he's always the lesser of at least two evils. At any rate, backstory only helps, instead of hurts.

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Why... Just why...

[​IMG]

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Mata2010 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.