main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    According to American standards, that's incorrect. But that's how I learned it . . . from my English teacher. As in from England. Heh.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    But... but... AP and MLA style guides...!

D:

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm up to 36000 words on my next book! That's a little more than half my goal, but I'm feeling pretty good about it.

LLL likes this.
  4. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I think we're confusing proper American standards with the typically butchered American English/writing. If you're asking a question involving a quote, no, you don't include the question mark in the quotes, that would be entirely altering the quote and your source of the quote.
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/03/

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Mothers are allowed to start a sentence with Because. Otherwise I can't say to my kids "Because I said so, that's why!"

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I got in an argument that spanned quite a long time with my one of my high school English teachers about hanged vs. hung. She was my favorite teacher and we got along really well (I could always be found hanging out in her room even long after she was no longer my teacher) so it was a friendly argument. Grammatically she was correct, but I still don't think that hanged should be correct when speaking past tense of hanging ones self.

Now that I think about it, that was a strange argument to have.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It's different uses of the same word though. You hang a picture and you've hung a picture. You hang a man and you've hanged a man. You could have hung the man but he could've been hung from his hands or feet or where ever, as opposed to if he's been hanged then it's around the neck until dead. I'll be honest, I don't know why it's that way but it makes sense to me.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Men could be hung.

What I don't like is my spell/grammar check telling me I should use the word WHOM when it sounds so wrong. I use whom when it sounds right, but often it doesn't. I don't know if my grammar check is wrong or not.

9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    But if you say someone hung themselves, I don't think there's going to be any confusion as to what you meant. . There are many words that are used in different context but use the same word. Like I said, I know it's correct but I just don't like it. ;)

I just really hate that the English language is so inconsistent with things. Like, "I before e except after c... blah blah... neighbor and weigh." Annndd... all those times that it doesn't apply. My roommate is Finnish and even though I know it's considered a difficult language, from what she's told me it at least makes sense. Phonetic spelling and rules that actually apply.

Very true (and my teacher brought that up) but that's not the context I was arguing about. ;) I told her I figured context clues would give you an idea as to what would be the usage.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    True, what I was thinking was, "The twelve angry men formed a hung jury". :p Yeah, that's the ticket.

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Is anyone else picture twelve angry men hanging by their shirt collars and shaking their fists at each other?

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    No, I'm not. I was sort of thinking of that old movie called Twelve Angry Men. I do admit when I hear about guys getting hung by the neck I think of net stockings and David Carradine.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It drives me crazy as well when people do it before the quotation if it isn't dialogue in a story. Yet I HAVE to do it that way on papers or else it gets marked as wrong. Speaking of thievery, I just realized something REALLY confusing. Canadians get all their grammar rules from US styles, but our spelling comes from the UK (though you can spell most things either way and not get it marked wrong).

Also, 12 angry men is an awesome movie.

14. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I suppose it's like "lie" and "lay". People get that confused a lot too and it can sound weird.

I was taught that you put the quotation marks around just the quote, punctuation outside, unless you're quoting the punctuation as well (as in dialogue). The man was "hanged like a horse". Why did you think that "it wasn't important"? She said that "everyone knew". She said, "Everyone knew."

It makes sense to me that way so that's how I do it. At uni, we were allowed to do it however we wanted - British or US - as long as we stayed consistent.

Some grammar rules can be broken, though. It's grammatically correct to say "That's a subject about which I know nothing", but everyone I know will say "That's a subject I know nothing about" and as far as I'm concerned that's fine, even in writing. Same with starting a sentence with "and" or "but". I've seen it plenty in fiction. It's done for stylistic reasons, and it can be really effective, so why not? I think for writers it's important to know the rules, and know them well enough to be able to break them on purpose, for effect.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Re: question marks.

If the dialogue quoted is itself a question, the question mark goes INSIDE the quote marks. Per all my grammar books.

He said, "Am I getting a ticket?" (quoted speaker's question)

He really said, "I am not getting a ticket"? (someone clarifying if quoted speaker really said that declarative sentence)

Jedi_Lover, LexiLupin and Iverna like this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I love the snow, and winter... but I'm ready for spring! (I really just want to go out for a run or a walk and not be in snow). It started snowing early, early yesterday morning and still hasn't stopped. And we had just started to see our yard from the previous 2 feet we got last month!

I left really early this am thinking the T (Boston's subway) would be running behind because it usually is when it snows a lot (a large section of it that I take is above ground) and I got to work at 6am for a 7am shift.

17. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Meanwhile, I'm one of those obnoxious people who always says, "Oh, you have weather? That's nice, it's beautiful and sunny here today." Because that's how it basically always is. Though, this week was a bit chillier than last week, but I won't say 'cold' because I'm resisting turning into a true Californian who is a total wimp about the weather. :p I'm not sure how long I'll last anymore; after four years my cold resistance has dropped substantially. Clearly I need to visit the mountains more often to keep my cold resistance up.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I almost passed out in the store today. I hope it is low iron and not something serious. I have an appointment to see a doctor on Monday. I thought it was my blood sugar but eating an entire bag of candy, a carton of orange juice and eating a Burger King Whopper didn't help. :(I took some iron pills and they don't appear to help either. This sucks. My sister had a stroke two weeks ago and now I am freaking that something is wrong with me also.

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ouch! NOT good!!!! If you start feeling very bad, get the to an ER.... :(

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I agree with Breezy: see someone as soon as possible. This last summer, I kept having horrible migraines (I basically had a migraine for six weeks) and passing out, and the hospital said it was dehydration even though I was drinking more than 100 ounces of water a day (it was over 97 degrees for most of those 6 weeks). I never found out what the problem was, but it eventually passed. I hope yours was just a momentary thing.

. . . Maybe you're pregnant? :p

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    If you dont want me to pass out dont suggest I am pregnant. I think I am a little to old for that anyway.

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I was totally kidding! Hence the :p.

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I found out the hard way that one can drink too much water. One summer, I was working at this small restaurant that only served customers through a walk-up and a drive-through window. The air condition was on the fritz, and I too was drinking upwards of 100 oz. per day. I fainted at work, and the doctor said that with how much I was sweating and how much water I drank, I washed out all the electrolytes from my body. Ever since then, I've been easily dehydrated.

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That's why I drink powerade when I have to drink that much. Personally, I think I had a lupus flare triggered by the heat.

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I just realized I didn't put my last reply what I meant to in the first place... that I hope you find out what it is and get feeling better, Jedi_Lover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.