main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas confirms (almost) Big Three return!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    That should say "want" not "won't". Sorry for that and some of the other edit issues. Auto edit screwed it up a bit, and I didn't check it before posting.

2. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Kathleen Kennedy would not take "no" for an answer.....but apparently.....it's the storyline/meeting with Arndt & Kasdan that won him over

I prefer this side of the story better......I think we are in for a hell of a ride....

Episode Swag likes this.
  3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Ok with the big three basicly out of the way *they're pretty much confirmed at this point. I'm not acting like there's still a chance they will refuse*. Now comes the annoying, long and fun part: casting the new heroes. This might take a LONG time because I can't see the new cast being cast in soo little time *especially if they want this filmed by Summer* . Hell GOTG comes out next year and they've been casting for god-knows how long and Star Wars is definitly a film that you dont want to rush the casting in order to meet a certain deadline. Take your time. Also we should all get ready for the inevitable "I hear these actors are Disneys top choices for the new hero....No wait these are...this guy dropped out...but now he's back in...ect ect ect". Its gunna be painful :)

lbr789 likes this.
  4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Huh? I hadn't heard of any meeting between Arndt, Abrams, and Kasdan where the storyline of the movie was discussed.

5. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    george is pretty much carrie's opposite when it comes to wit and humor. he slipped up and then he awkwardly tried to backtrack. MCH are in, i'd bet my bottom dollar.

6. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    old news

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lucasfilms-kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-416303

Kennedy already had called Beth Swofford, Abrams' CAA agent, and been told Abrams was too deeply engaged in the next Star Trek movie and other obligations at Paramount -- not to mention innumerable television projects -- to consider the job. Nonetheless, Abrams agreed to meet with Kennedy on Dec. 14 at his Bad Robot offices in Santa Monica. Famously plain-spoken, she summarizes her pitch like this: "Please do Star Wars." And she had cards to play. Not only was Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) writing the script, but Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote 1980's The Empire Strikes Back and 1983's Return of the Jedi, was on board to consult. Abrams "was flipping out when he found out that Michael and Larry were on the movie already," says Kennedy.
    Abrams tells THR, "I learned firsthand how incredible and persuasive she is." Some -- but not all -- of his reservations were dispelled. "The thing about any pre-existing franchise -- I'd sort of done that," he says. "But when I met with Kathy, it was suddenly very tantalizing."
    Kennedy, Abrams and the writers met secretly for about three hours Dec. 19, and "J.J. was just on the ceiling when I walked out the door," she recalls. But still, she says, Abrams had "very genuine concerns" about his obligations elsewhere and the impact on his wife and three kids, given the likelihood that the film would not be shot in Los Angeles. And then there was the unique nature of the franchise. "If there was any pause on J.J.'s part, it was the same pause everybody has -- including myself -- stepping into this," she says. "Which is, it's daunting."

Episode Swag likes this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

That there's probably the reason the 3D rereleases have been postponed.

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    "If they're bringing back the big three, I'm going to be white hot flaming p*ssed!"
    "If they don't though, I'm going to hate the sequels!"

JediGirl_Angelina and DowClimber like this.
  9. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    summarization of it all ;)

DowClimber likes this.
  10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    It's a great article and I am psyched that he let that slip.

Even bigger for me is that the article really proves that they have been working on this for awhile. It sounds like Arndt was possibly on board *before* the Disney acquisition and contract talks with the big three were already ongoing prior to Disney as well. With the way that Lucas makes films, I'm sure that means that concept art had begun also. That makes it a little more plausible that it could hit that 2015 date.

Also glad that they are still talking about the live action series, though it sounds like it may be further down the road.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
  12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    That also means that there is potentially something to be leaked!!! Someone better get to leaking!

13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think the thing that is either going to annoy OR delight folks more than casting the new lead characters is finding out WHO the new lead characters actually are.

14. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    And from the horses mouth comes my interest dying off nearly fully. I was already against them being in them, if they are only there as mentors and not the main focus I can tolerate it. But if they completely ignore the past 23 years of novels, Luke having Ben as a son, Jaina Solo, Alana Solo, etc.....then I can pretty much say right now I wont be going to the theater to see these.

15. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I am willing to bet that they have a good idea of who the players are. If not some super-secret casting that may have already happened, but with actors who the film-makers have worked with already.

It is sounding more and more that this trilogy has been worked on already for some time now. I best they are farther into it than we realize.

I hope.

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  16. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    You may as well clock out now brother, this will not end well for you. What is the sense of them in making the most anticipated (sequel trilogy) of all time if we have already read the story?

17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    The WHO most likely will just be "Child of *insert OT character*" I doubt they'll include the name in the casting calls/sheets till they announce it. Cause there's a pretty good chance it'll probably be some new character *so not Ben, or Jaina or whatever. I thought I read somewhere that episode 7 would include nothing we've seen or read before*

18. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    Me too. I am the opposite of a Lucas hater...I am pumped to hear that he has had a significant say in the development of the new trilogy and of course that the Big 3 are coming back!!:D

19. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I am afraid you may have to watch the ST on Redbox, because I have a hunch that much of the EU with be retconned. I have mixed feelings on this since I like some of the EU stuff. Like Dark Empire, Heir to the Empire etc. However, that Vong stuff and its aftermath leaves me cold. I doubt that the casual Star Wars fan base will be able to follow the EU stuff. For the public at large, Star Wars ended after ROTJ. They will expect nothing major to have happened since Endor. I think Disney will understand that and adjust accordingly.

Padme501st likes this.
  20. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Because we haven't read the story yet. The most recent novel end (Fate of the Jedi : Apocalypse) would have Luke, Han, and Leia at the ages they are in real life. Give or take a few years. Ben about 18, Jaina in her 20's, Alana about 12, etc. If they continue the story from the end of Apocalypse it would actually work out well. If you think about it, the novels have dropped off since Apocalypse came out, and I have a strong feeling this was done purposefully to fit with the new movies.

But, if they "reimagine" or "reboot" it, ignoring 23 years of story and adventure...not interested. At all.

21. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree. I suspect that Lucas may have some contractual guarantee that allows him to have a strong creative control. Just a hunch. That being said, Disney cannot afford to make a movie that GL does not like. Can you imagine the backlash if Disney made Episode VII and GL did not like it? So, GL has more control than I thought. This is positive IMO.

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't know nor will I try to predict how Disney will handle the EU, but I think the audience will have to face that *something* has happened in the 30+ years since ROTJ. With the Big 3 being cast, I think its safe to assume they'll be age appropriate - not CGI de-aged (I fervently hope, anyway.)

TreborSabreon likes this.
  23. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree to a certain extent. We can have Ben Skywalker, Jaina, Jacen etc. I do not know if the Vong will be referenced. They may have to explain Chewbacca's death. I agree some of the EU may need to be incorporated. I think the EU character names for the Skywalker/Solo offspring will likely be retained. This would likely help appease the fans who regularly follow the EU.

24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Point taken. I only considered that we have loads of post-ROTJ stories, not that the respective ages lined up with events that could occur AFTER the events that we know of.

25. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Great article. They didn't mention the Studio Gibli acquisition though. Miyazaki wipes the floor with Disney when it comes to storytelling.

Can't wait. Bright the Future is. Luke in Jedi robes. New Jedi temple. Leia trained in the force. Han Solo death scene. The kids inherit the Falcon. Wookies live a long time! Geek right the hell out! OMG!

Tan-Wessel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.