main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    ^ BW2 was going for the rhyme...

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Say what you will about Ahsoka but it has never yet reached this level with her abilities that they have written Anakin just stopping and gawking like this, Zahn did with Luke over Mara in Choices of One

Luke caught his breath as he suddenly understood. She was turning her lightsaber on and off as she ran to keep from slicing through the rails support struts while she swept the blade across the incoming fire.

For a moment he just stood there staring, frozen in amazement by the level of sheer control and artistry the manoeuvre demonstrated.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm shocked. I thought that you would've said yes. ;)

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Just saw this on StarWars.com, wow Admiral Yularen looks different, he's aged more than any other character in TCW, lol. I remember seeing the concept art of his new model, so I thought he'd play quite a big role in the Ahsoka arc, but I think he was only standing behind the Jedi at the funeral and wasn't very easy to see.
    [​IMG]

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Well hopefully he can get his white uniform to match :p

cwustudent likes this.
  7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

I'm not even sure Ventress' fate is absolutely necessary at this point.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Wow @ Yularen's model. I wonder if season 6 will bring another age upgrade to the characters?

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Misused more than anything. They have the potential to be great villains, but Lucas seems to think that Grievous is the CIS version of Jar Jar and Dooku is some embarrassing villain he regrets creating, since he was pretty much shoved aside since the Nightsisters arc and resurrection of Maul - i.e. the villain that preceded him that Lucas seems to like more.

We know what happens to Grievous and Dooku but, unless you read the novels and comics (which are worth their weight in spit to Filoni and Lucas), then we know next to nothing about either of them. Really the depth of any characterization that either of them has gotten is the reveal that Grievous wanted to be a Jedi :oops:

Dooku has been frankly boring, and as such a key player in the war there really is no reason for him to be. His history as a Jedi hasn't so much as really been touched upon.

Meanwhile let's bring Maul back and carry out the most short-sighted schemes that are abruptly put to and end because... he failed to realize that broadcasting his survival to the Jedi and usurping a planet was going to be realized by his master? The Maul episodes were the best of the season IMO, but they're turning him into the poster boy villain of the show, which is just stupid since at the end of the day nothing he has done has been important, he hasn't changed the landscape of the conflict in any way, he is insignificant to the events of the films (TCW is filler by comparison), and he's had more characterization than the actual relevant and important villains.

10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Judging from the scenes in the trailer, there is substantial involvement by Dooku in the Clovis arc. This is to be expected from a story that highlights the politics of the Clone Wars.

All the more disappointing, then, that this arc was cut. It would have been refreshing in the aftermath of the Maul adventures to see some significant Republic vs. CIS politics and violence, involving the true second Sith of the era no less.

TaradosGon likes this.
  11. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Clearly Yularen has aged prematurely from working with Anakin :p

Random Comments likes this.
  12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Still amazes me how old he looks so quick. War is hell huh? I like a man above dying his gray hair back dark.

13. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Or there's an episode or scene set in the future?

14. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    I disagree about Dooku. First of all, he hasn't been shoved aside since mid-season 3. You at least mentioned the Ventress/Maul arc, but he's also a major player in the Obi-Wan undercover plot (remember that duel everyone either loved or loathed?). He also shows up in the slaver arc to set his foot down.

And frankly, he's playing a part he plays in much of the original Clone Wars material, too, aside from Dark Rendezvous. In the Republic comics and the tie-in novels, he was rarely the villain the protagonists are directly opposing. It's usually someone like Sora Bulq or Ventress or Grievous or the ridiculously forgettable Tol Skorr. He's often behind the scenes there, too, the man behind the curtain who we all know has another man behind the curtain.

You can harp on about the change in Grievous' character all you want and I'll agree with you. I loved his introduction in Genndy's series and all he did there, but it was Episode III that started that transformation. Let's remember that.

QuangoFett likes this.
  15. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    I believe that's the model used in "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much".

16. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Drrr... which way did he go George? Which way did he go? I know. Still... happened quite fast.

17. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    MistrX

I agree in general about Dooku's portrayal in TCW, but there is a point to be made that S5 has been focused largely on Maul as the main villain at the expense of him. Dooku is strongly hinted by the trailers to appear in the Clovis arc. This was cut. Dooku appears as a hologram in the Onderon arc, and the shared enmity of Vizsla and Maul towards him is part of what unites them. Beyond that, S5 is largely Dooku-less. There's nothing innately wrong with focusing as strongly on Maul as has been done in the broadcast S5 episodes, since he has been central to some of the series' very best episodes and arcs. However, to so obviously cut Dooku (and Padme, Republic/CIS politics, etc.) from the season in favour of even the D-Squad arc is to send an odd message, and not an entirely welcome one.

S6 should be better in this sense, though.

TaradosGon likes this.
  18. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006

This doesn't really bother me as much because TCW has done this largely from the beginning. Grievous had a long absence between Lair and Intrigue. I don't think Ventress was even in season two and then after her big trilogy in three she didn't show again until four. Cad Bane went a season between appearances. We have this diversity of villains that I think makes the universe seem bigger and throws in other elements. And I hardly think Maul was the focus on season 5. He's in one arc, four episodes. And those episodes also wrapped up the stories of three recurring characters we've had, two themselves villains created by the show. I just think that saying Dooku has been shunted aside to focus on Maul is something of an overreaction.

19. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Ahh yes, in the funeral scene. That's crazy. What an odd rapid advance of age.

20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    On the topic of recurring villains in TCW, here's some bit of trivia on the number of appearances through Season 5 of some major villains (minimum 5 episode appearances, not counting flashbacks):

Asajj Ventress: 15
    Count Dooku: 36, half of which are simply hologram appearances
    General Grievous: 17
    Darth Sidious: 10, but only once does he show up in person
    Cad Bane: 10
    Pre Vizsla: 5
    Mother Talzin: 6
    Savage Opress: 8
    Darth Maul: 6

Note that Dooku makes the most overall appearances, which makes sense as he is the major antagonist of the Republic during the Clone Wars. However, his screentime per episode is usually brief, compared to characters like Maul and Opress who had whole arcs dedicated to them.

21. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I think that everyone has to remember is that this show has:

a LARGE ENSEMBLE CAST
    (about) 22 episodes per season
    22 minute episodes

There is no way to squeeze everyone in a season. If they did, everyone would instead be complaining about how shoehorned the character's appearance was and how undeveloped they are for a character with such a high episode count.

Yes this is called "The Clone Wars," but I think anyone who has the opinion that, "This is a war show. All the show should feature is what happened on the battlefield and the main villains and protagonists of the conflict fighting..." clearly doesn't understand mainstream serial drama. Just because a TV show is "centered around a war" doesn't mean that it has to be about the fighting - its about the time period of The Clone Wars. Its about how the war affected the galaxy - find a story arc that doesn't have to do with that and I'll give a sticker :D.

The writers are allowed to go on tangents with different characters to flesh them out - even if that means not seeing a different character for a while. However! I do think that D-Squad was a huge mistake. In their eyes, they had their reasons for it, but it think they ended up falling short of their hopes for its impact. Other than that -

Yea...so? If you have a problem with Ahsoka's prominence in the show since the beginning, you're missing one of the main points of the show. Of course this show is about Ahsoka. Its been said ever since its announcement. Its primary premise was that of "Anakin Skywalker having a Padawan during the time of The Clone Wars." So I really don't think anyone has the right to be upset when she is featured more than others.

This is my biggest problem with Ahsoka haters and advocates of TAMS-styled war stories is that they are not understanding what the show was always about - it was in the press releases, it was in the ads, it was in the merchandising, its in the interviews...its everywhere! they told you what they show was about. Don't get upset when its not what you want.

Its like pressing the "pepsi" button on a vending machine and getting upset that you didn't get a "mountain dew." Sorry if I got a little ranty...this subject always gets me rilled up. :)

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Grevious is a joke. The fact the writers make fun on commentaries about his never winning a fight should tell you all you need to know on that. The guy is a joke and seen as such.

As for Maul I think it's down simply to Lucas realising he screwed up big time by killing him off in TPM. He probably now realises Maul could have been as iconic as Vader as a the PT's main villain (and in a different way too) and that having Anakin killing him rather than old 80 year old Chris Lee in RotS probably would have worked better too. So he brings him back for the show by way of an apology. Even if it makes no sense how he survived.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    You're missing a few from that list.

Boba Fett: 5
    Aurra Sing: 5
    Bossk: 5

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Nice. Thanks for the heads up, I nearly forgot about Boba and Bossk's appearance in Deception.

25. GOGO POP

GOGO POP Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2013
    Good additions -
    Okay here's the new list for Season 6
    • The Bounty Hunter Arc - Decline (death?) of Cad Bane and Asajj Ventress, and the rise of Boba Fett. Like the Slave 1 grab too. Throw some Hutt story in their too.
    • The Clones Arc - Fives, Rex, Order 66, distrust of Jedi Order. Would love Commando Gregors appearance.
    • Ahsoka's farewell - Maybe a tie-in/goodbye with Lux. Saves the day one last time and goes into hiding and/or finds a new 'family'. Maybe back to Shili. Until she's discovered again by Luke Skywalker rebuilding the Jedi Order in Ep7.
    • The Maul Death Arc - The emporer "still has plans for him". That will be interesting. But he's gotta die. Maybe he gets cut in half again (the other way). I like the Talzin tie in idea. Put an end to the whole MAGIC baloney. Dead is dead. (unless you're a ghost jedi)
    • The Mandalore Arc - Bo Katan needs to take her leadership role.
    • Barriss and Luminara reunion - Agreed. Barriss story is that she dies in Order 66 after fighting with the Clones. So how is she still with the Republic? Maybe that's going to be rewritten but they need some resolution here.
    • The Rebel Alliance birth? - maybe padme and bail could advance this but we kinda got this with the Onderon Rebels
    • Finale - The Palpatine Kidnapping Arc - Dooku, Grievous grab the Chancellor and fight their way off of Coruscant. Show ends with Anakin and Obi Wan flying through the battle on their way.
    Hondo and the Pirates would fit into any of those arcs. And let's throw in Chewy, maybe a young Han cameo,
    That could be done in 20 episodes.