main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    The article is fascinating. It seems to me they had Arndt on board and had already been in talks with Carrie, Mark and Harrison well before the sale to Disney.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Tell that to the characters of Republic who even with 107 issues didn't happen. :p

Zeta1127 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's true right up until he decides to digitally replace the entire cast with Ewoks.

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You mean Duros. This time the comedy act needs to be Duros. Not Ewoks, not Gungans: Duros.

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Duros can't be trusted to put on consistently good performances. They'd probably just contradict the EU. A better option would be a cast of humans in Duros-paint.

Lugija and Zorrixor like this.
  6. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    There was a while where I thought this board had become less weird than it once was. Thank you, Cad Bane, for contradicting the EU and proving me wrong.

Ulicus and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, Coop. There isn't a set number of issues for a story, the Q should be: Has a title (or creative run) done all it could? Some books end at 4 or 6 or 15 issues and it's the right number for them, you can see it clearly, anything more would show the book as running on empty. The reason cancellation is a problem for Legacy and KOTOR is the perception was - and remains - that there was plenty of fuel in the tank remaining.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    While it's true Ghost Prison works perfectly fine as it is, don't pretend you don't want a 100 issue Ghost Prison series. :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ghost Prison 2: Hardly Ghostin'.

CeiranHarmony and Zorrixor like this.
  11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    To be followed by Ghost Prison 3: Ghost Harder? :p

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Uh oh...

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ghost Prison could be said to be the opposite Zorr: There could be more but it'd probably ruin it, so always leave the audience wanting more!

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Wheels are bad, but chicken walkers are perfectly alright?

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I was pretty angry when they killed Tohm, because let's face it, he wasn't even close to being a threat for Vader.

They could've written so many Tohm-Vader adventures and I would have bought all of them, but no, no he had to die.

Stupid characters like Cade on the other hand survive 100 issues.

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Ghost Hard With a Vengeance

Live Free or Ghost Hard

A Good Day to Ghost Hard

?

Zorrixor likes this.
  17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Vader tag-teams with no one. The title is reserved for no one but Darth Vader.

But really, Tohm's death was a perfect capstone to the arc. Really highlights Vader's lack of tolerance for political machinations (as Shadows of the Empire so aptly puts it, he despises the game, but he'll play it, and play it well), and of course that, despite the prequels and the fact that he's getting his own series, Vader is and always will be a villain.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But what was his actual motivation to kill Tohm?
    I really enjoyed the series but this left me scratching my head. His other displays of evilness at least had reasons behind them.

And sure, he is a loner, but if he respects someone he can keep him or her around for quite a while. Daine Jir or Maximilian Veers for instance.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Contrary to how it turned out, Legacy had far more to it than just Cade and that vast ensemble cast could have easily racked up 100 issues!

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That the Emperor was goading him in regards to Tohm.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It was a test for Vader, that can be sure. Whether he passed or failed is a matter of personal interpretation.

I loved it because it was an echo, intentional or not, of the Xizor situation. Palpatine deliberately played the two against each other for years... until Vader got sick of it and killed him. "Never suffer rivals".

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Xizor was actually threatening (he almost killed Luke).
    Tohm was a complete non-issue.

In the Empire, any competent person is a potential threat. Doesn't mean Vader goes around killing anyone of that kind (would be counter-productive anyway).

The way I see it Tohm was killed for the shock value but it didn't make much logical sense.

And Vader falls for that? Seriously?

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ghost Prison is early Vader though, isn't it?

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    But Tohm could have easily become a threat, in the same manner that Xizor did. The Empire is young, the prominent leaders have not yet emerged. And, perhaps more importantly, Vader is still young. The Vader from the OT probably wouldn't have bothered taking him out until he actually became a threat, if he did at all. This Vader finds it more logical to stamp it out before it can even have a chance. No doubt Palpatine eventually teaches him that you can't do that to every talented general if you want to build a powerful Empire.

Since we're privy to the inner workings of Tohm's mind, we know that he would probably never betray the Empire. Vader doesn't know that for sure, and he doesn't particularly care. It wasn't at all a good decision, but in my view, that was the point. Vader at his best has no patience for Palpatine's political BS. At this point, he has absolutely none. He's attempting to show Palpatine that he has no interest in playing his game.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Couple of months after ROTS. I guess Vader was still struggling to control the dark side back then. At least that explanation doesn't make him look like a complete dumbass.

Still not very satisfying because he was fairly in control before Tohms death. He didn't kill Palpatine after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.