main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh, so lets just run around and kill any remotely intelligent and loyal person the empire has. What kind of completely self-defeating logic is that?

But okay, lets roll with the "Vader is still young and controlled by the dark side" argument. Why didn't he kill the Emperor then? Why would he pass the opportunity to grab all the power?

He doesn't play the game ... by blindly following Palpatines lead? What?! That makes absolutely no sense at all! If he was fed up with Palpatines BS he should simply ignore him, not do exactly what he wants.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not sure I'd go with the notion that Vader is young and "controlled by the dark side", more that he just really isn't the sharpest tool in the box.... yet!

That comes later.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Because Tohm came up with the plan to use the Separatist prisoners to save the Empire, and then the plan to eliminate them in a way that the Empire wouldn't be blamed. Vader was very correct in assuming that Tohm could've been a powerful figure in the Empire within a few years, in my estimation.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Jedi Ben
    Young Vader is entitled to mistakes but what he did there was plain stupid. Idiot level stupid.

Sure. And what's bad about that? Correct, nothing!

We shouldn't forget that Tohm decided to side with Vader instead of Trachta. He would've turned out to be an excellent ally.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    D_P, to me, that's kind of the point but I'll be better able to discuss with you in a few weeks when I have my copy of the Ghost Prison HC!

6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    No wheels eh? [​IMG] Says hello.

Summer Dreamer and Zorrixor like this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Those are...um...vestigial.

Alternative explanation: Tohm's injuries were a blatant reminder of what had become of Vader's own body under the armor, and his just carrying on without prosthetics through sheer strength of character only magnified the insult.

Ulicus likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Sith don't ally. Or surf, probably. He would've been better off allying with Trachta, who actually displayed some form of honor.
    But seriously, Tohm betrays a group of people for little reason, and got the same in return. Pick better role models in your next life, Tohm.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I just reread the relevant pages and nothing seems to imply that Vaders deed was meant to show his foolishness as some of you claim. Quite the opposite, in fact. His poses were those of power and triumph.

I've also seen nothing that would imply that Vader has problems with Tohms injuries. That would be an interesting psychological reason - especially so close after ROTS - but again, nothing there.

Bah, I better just forget about it. I probably shouldn't care about Tohm. The author apparently didn't care about him either because he gave him a death that makes no sense. Could have had him shot by a former classmate but no...

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If I don't like a plot twist I should just pretend it was all different?

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    He's not blindly following Palpatine's lead. It's said in the Bounty Hunter Wars that Palpatine deliberately puts people like Xizor and, presumably, Mara and the other Hands against Vader in order to strengthen him. Palpatine's constantly throwing arbitrary tests at him. In this case, Palpatine's trying to groom Vader into more than a blunt instrument. He needs to be a political weapon as much as anything else. Tohm is there to provide Vader with competition. Vader chooses to completely ignore this by killing the competition outright. Eventually, he learns that this can't be a permanent solution. Remember, at this point Vader doesn't care about the Empire at all (I'm not convinced he ever truly cares about the Empire, or at least an Empire not under his control). He just cares about what he can learn about the dark side from Palpatine, which is why I would assume he didn't kill Palpatine at this point.

More than anything else, Tohm's murder was Vader showing Palpatine that he's not willing to be a pawn. That he's not willing to be just another servant, but the servant. That, whether he wants it to be or not, the Rule of Two is still in place.

And that would have been an anti-climactic and thoroughly unfitting end to the story. Ghost Prison was designed as a standalone arc, not as an ongoing. The story must have a consistent theme. Tohm is the narrative device used in Ghost Prison, but he is not the main character. Vader is. Having this narrative device dealt with in a way unrelated to Vader would only undermine the arc as a whole.

The goal here wasn't to create a new ongoing character. It was to create a different lens in which to view a familiar character.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think it was relatively ambiguous. Enough that it doesn't bother me, anyway.

14. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The kind of person you love so much you'd kidnap and accidentally murder

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I didn't know Harry Plinkett posted here!

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Do you mind? We're talking about Ghost Prison right now.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Take it to the Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison thread, Dawud.

Dawud786 and CooperTFN like this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I mean, honestly!

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Why not simply make every thread a Ghost Prison thread? Start with the Cad Bane thread.

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I think every thread title should end with -Does it contradict the EU?

Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    If you could own any pet in the SW universe... does it contradict the EU?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Spoiled sports...

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I JUST WANTED HER TO STOP MAKING NOISE, I'M SORRY, OKAY?!

Haven't read Ghost Prison. But wheels do contradict the EU if George says there are no wheels. With that statement, the wheels on the tank thingies in ROTS are gone *poof* from canon. Expect another special wheel-less edition. Might be kinda hard with the chase scene with Grevious. Maybe he'll just run really really fast.

25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    He said the cars don't have wheels. Not that wheels don't exist... the tanks and Grievous' wheelbike would have to be special editioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.