main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Reading yet another ARC, Lessons in French by Hilary Reyl

"Killing Kennedy" was great, by the way.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Cloud Atlas. Just started the middle chapter. Love the different writing styles for each of the stories.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I got that for my dad for Christmas. I really liked the movie.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Just finished book 1 of Malazan, now moving on to book 2.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's on my (very large) to-read list.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    You won't know what the hell is happening for a while in it- I have a very basic understanding of just what everything and everyone was in the first book, and the second seems to shift to a different area of the world. It reminds me a bit of Elder Scrolls (particularly the gods and the various races), but with better writing. Erickson is definitely a show-not-tell writer, in a good way.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekauff. A pretty good history of the American Revolution, including the protests at the root of the conflict, the war itself, and the formation of the US government. It's sort of disorganized at the beginning, and could stand to be a fair deal more comprehensive, but as a one-volume history, it gets the job done reasonably well and Middlekauff has sometimes-amusing prose and some solid analysis to offer.

8. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Doug and Carlie by Lisa Smartt

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Just finished the Wool Omnibus and Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey. This is the first sci fi lit I've fallen in love with in years. The original Wool short story is available for free online in the iTunes bookstore. Genius marketing. Worked like a charm on me. As soon as I read the story I clicked like a madman until I owned the rest of his stuff.

I will say that if you've read a lot of short stories and sci fi short fiction like I have, and probably even if you haven't, the Wool punchline is a bit predictable.

10. A'den Skirata

A'den Skirata Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn, liking the book so far.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm reading chuck klosterman iv, the secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel, a secret history of star wars, and still trudging through the road.

12. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm finally reading 'No One Left To Lie To' by Christopher Hitchens. It's a critique of Bill Clinton's presidency written in 1999. So far it's interesting, but not as good as his attack on Mother Theresa ('The Missionary Position') which I can't recommend highly enough.

In terms of Star Wars, I just finished 'Shadows Of The Empire: Evolution' and 'Tales Of The Jedi: The Sith War'. They were both diabolical, TotJ more so than SotE. Disclaimer: I didn't know TotJ was written by KJA before I bought them both for £3.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Going to start reading SW: The Last Jedi this evening since the Amazon UK order containing it (and a few other books) came yesterday.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i want to read that but ive got a bigger hate-on for kissinger so i The Trial of Henry Kissinger takes presidence on my reading list wrt hitchens

16. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Neverwinter Saga: Neverwinter

Kind of dragging on a bit. I have another on the shelf, but am eagerly waiting for the paperback release of A Dance with Dragons.

17. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I got a box set for Christmas with Kissinger, Theresa and Clinton. 'Trial...' is good, but I found it a bit monotonous in places.

18. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Sounds like a great bounce-around you have going on. :D

19. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Just finished HARRY POTTER: AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS. Man was I very impressed with this book, and came from it really glad that I had watched the movie first. It is a prime example of why a book is better than the movie.

It was paced perferctly. Nothing felt forced or rushed. Loved that Dumbledore was made into fallible human being as opposed to a strickly a grand heroic figure. Which was something I was very glad Rowling threw into a kids book, and something every child should learn about hero's. I even found the Battle of Hogwarts and the final showdown in the Great Hall just a great and maybe even more so than the movies. I give it an A -. And the minus is just because there has to be something wrong with it.

A great book and just a high quality series all around. Definitly a series that will be read by generations and generations, and definitly one I'll read to my children.

Next up for me: A DANCE OF DRAGONS.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Still reading Holmes. The short stories give me a touch of nostolgia for books I used to read while being a library assitant in jr high. They were short mysteries where you were called upon as detective to solve the crime. They were not any form of choose your own adventure, you read the chapter and it would end with a form of "Who did it?" and the answer was printed upside down at the end.

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    That book was beyond spectacular. I loved it.

Today, I'm going to start on Driver's Education by Grant Ginder

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just finished SW: The Last Jedi and I'll be starting Fear in the Forest by Bernard Knight in a bit. It's number 7 in his Crowner John mystery series. (I like this series and thanks to the Amazon UK Marketplace I got the ones I was missing. Each book references past events so it really needs to be read in order. I started with number 8 and was a bit lost. I'll be re-reading that after I finish this one.)

24. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I am reading both The Blackmail Club, by David Bishop and A Place for Family, by Mia Ross.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dark Tide I: Onslaught