main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm gonna go with Scarlett.

2. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Yvonne is in the lead. Any more votes yet to be cast?

3. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    If you guys had to rank the best books to read that are Mandalorian related, what would you rank from the best to the not so good?

EDIT: I don't think I've read enough to sufficiently rank the books myself

4. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm going to have to think about that favorite question. Before Karen Traviss came along I wasn't really a Mandalorian fan at all. I had only a small amount of knowledge about them from Marvel and otherwise was kinda uninterested. That said I've retro read most Mandalorian material at this point and can probably come up with a pretty cool list :p

And I think its safe to declare Yvonne Strahovski the winner of the Besany Wennen casting round!
    [​IMG]

5. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Hi all I am a big fan of Boba Fett and the Republic Commando books and would like to join. I also wanted to know if The Bounty Hunter Wars were good and what other Mandalorian books I should read.

Robimus likes this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Su'cuy awesomejedi. I haven't read The Bounty Hunter Wars but there are some pretty good Mandalorian goings on in the Legacy of the Force series. In fact they are the only reason I read it. :p

[​IMG]

7. awesomejedi

Nov 7, 2012
    I read LotF; the Mandalorian parts were, IMO, the best part.:D

8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I know Robimus will be by eventually to suggest some others to read too.

[​IMG]

9. awesomejedi

Nov 7, 2012
    Sounds good!

Do I need to do anything to join?

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Find the last official roster, copy it and add your name to it (taking your own Mando name) and then paste it here. Once that is done post regularly.

[​IMG]

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  11. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah, I tried to do that myself but I got stuck in a combination of not being able to find it and getting spoiled for the later RC books and not wanting more spoilers :p

12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Honestly one of these days I should go through the old roster, conduct another purge of non-posting members and post it. That would give new members a better starting point anyway.

[​IMG]

13. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Wow, well that didn't take long but the purge is pretty intensive. However, I see many active posters here who never officially added their names to our roster. If you all would please do so, you may pick a Mandalorian name and add it to our list of mando'ade.

Mand'alor

Beskaryc Taab --Bardan_Jusik

ehn alore

Sumibor te Sol'yc --Robimus

Haran Senaar --Commander_Ducky

--Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

--Sinrebirth

14. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Mand'alor

ehn alore

--Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

--Sinrebirth

Kurshi Woor --Rebecca_Daniels

Robimus and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think I post here enough to count as a member. [face_party]

Mand'alor

ehn alore

--Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

--Sinrebirth

Saviin Jetii --Todd the Jedi

awesomejedi The Bounty Hunters War trilogy is pretty good; I'd say the first is the best for a certain cyborg bounty hunter that teams up with Fett. There aren't too many books about Fett beyond those and the LOTF books with him, but there's plenty of comics about Boba, as well as a few about Jango. Open Seasons in particular is a very good comic about Jango and his time with the Mandalorians before Episode II. Open Seasons also ties in with the video game Bounty Hunter, one of my favorite SW games.

There's some short stories about Boba, such as A Practical Man by Karen Traviss, but the two must-read ones are The Last One Standing and A Barve Like That, both by Daniel Keyes Moran. They are collected in Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales from Jabba's Palace, respectively.

I know Mia Mesharad also has some good opinions about Fett stories, and can probably name some I'm forgetting. Otherwise, welcome to the club!

Bardan_Jusik and Robimus like this.
  16. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Mand'alor

ehn alore

--Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

--Sinrebirth

Canderous Skirata -- Tim Battershell

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  17. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    What if my display name is already a Mandalorian name? Do you want me to make another one?

Robimus likes this.
  18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Keep your regular name. Its all good.

My Mandalorian name isn't exactly rocket science anyway :p

19. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Mand'alor

ehn alore

--Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

--Sinrebirth

--Genet'kabur Kyramud

Bardan_Jusik and Robimus like this.
  20. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I'd actually recommend against reading the Bounty Hunter Wars. A synopsis will do just fine to avoid that draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Here's how it goes: Dengar and one of Jabba's dancing girls (with amnesia) are scavenging the wreckage of the Sail Barge when they find Boba Fett alive, and the Sarlaac dead. Before long, a bombing raid is launched against the ruins, with the intent on killing Boba Fett. They pick up Slave 1 and Dengar teams up with Fett. Interspersed with lengthy flashbacks, as well as a nearly unrelated plot regarding Kuat of Kuat. End book one.

Book two: Boba Fett and Dengar fool Bossk out of his ship and abandon Slave 1, since whoever is after fett will be after the ship. Kuat of Kuat takes out some political adversaries and tries to placate a Rebel fighter squadron overseeing the facility in case the Empire loses at Endor. Flashback includes Xizor's plan to dissolve the Bounty Hunters guild by putting a massive bounty out on a serial killer stormtrooper, intent on using the greed to fracture alliances. Also, he and Boba Fett talk with a giant spider in outer space. End book two.

Book three: Amnesiac dancer girl regains her memory, discovers she is the heir to the Kuat Drive Yards. Boba Fett brings spider in outer space back from the dead with jumper cables, gets attacked by the Spider's successor, a mini spider called Balancesheet. They go to Kuat Drive Yards and stop Kuat of Kuat from blowing the whole place up. The end.

Three books to tell the same basic story that I laid out in three paragraphs. To say that the books are slow paced is an understatement. They make Dragon Ball Z look like it was directed by Edgar Wright.

Commander_Ducky and Robimus like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, like I said, best part is really D'harhan. Also, seeing the word "Kuat" all over the place tends to get annoying.

22. awesomejedi

Nov 7, 2012
    Thanks for the advice!

Mand'alor

ehn alore

--Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

--Sinrebirth

--Genet'kabur Kyramud

Kotyc Cuyan- awesomejedi

Bardan_Jusik and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  23. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

Once you've read Republic Commando and Legacy of the Force, as Todd said, there aren't all that many books devoted solely to the Mandalorians. The Revan novel by Drew Karpyshyn has a strong subplot focusing on Canderous Ordo and Clan Ordo's search for the ancient Mask of Mandalore, taking place shortly after the first Knights of the Old Republic game. It's only about 1/4 of the novel, maybe a bit less if I'm being realistic, but it was a highly enjoyable look at Canderous and his people, and a snapshot of the Mandalorians at a time when they're beginning to turn away from their war-worshipping Crusader ways to the modern soldierly culture as seen in the RepCom novels. A similar situation occurs with
    the Last of the Jedi novel, that has something of a Mandalore-based subplot taking place at some time relatively shortly after Imperial Commando: 501st.
    (Spoilered the title after getting chewed out by Robimus... :p )

As for comics...
    The Tales of the Jedi comics feature the ancient Mandalorian Crusaders under Mandalore the Indomitable in a pretty prominent way, but they're quite different from the modern Mandalorians. The same goes for the Knights of the Old Republic comics, which feature the Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders and Mandalore the Ultimate. However, the Knights of the Old Republic: War miniseries shows a more personable view of the Mandalorians, similar to Revan, but they're still very much the Mandalorians of the era. Jango Fett: Open Seasons is a good comic to read for it's Mandalorian content, centering on the Mandalorian Civil War between the True Mandalorians and the Death Watch, while the chronologically later Star Wars: Jango Fett is a more personal story of Jango and how he acts both as a dangerous bounty hunter and a warm if a bit distant father to Boba; the same can be said of Blood Ties: A Tale of Jango and Boba Fett. The comic Outbid but Never Outgunned introduces the character of Sintas for the first time, and the Blood Ties sequel, Boba Fett is Dead, is a really good look at the aftermath of the events that split up Boba and Sintas' marriage, tying in very well to Legacy of the Force. Both Blood Ties series, Outbid, and Open Seasons have my fullest recommendation.

Good to know. Bringing Mesharad to the table already, I don't know what else I would've picked... :p

Mand'alor

ehn alore

--Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

--Sinrebirth

--Genet'kabur Kyramud

Kotyc Cuyan -- awesomejedi

-- Mia Mesharad

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Mand'alor

Beskaryc Taab -- Bardan_Jusik

ehn alore

Sumibor te Sol'yc -- Robimus

Haran Senaar -- Commander_Ducky

-- Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

-- Sinrebirth

Kurshi Woor -- Rebecca_Daniels

Saviin Jetii -- Todd the Jedi

-- Genet'kabur Kyramud

Kotyc Cuyan -- awesomejedi

-- Mia Mesharad

Beskarjag Ordo -- Zeta1127

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I need to brush up on my Mando'a. Haran meaning hell, what is senaar?