main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Oz the Bland and Blunderfull

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Reviews are in.. Could this be the next John Carter for Disney? Probably not. Oz is a decent brand, but maybe not as alluring as Disney thinks. It's hard to imagine this being any worse than the execrable and soulless Burton Alice and Wonderland, but Raimi has been known to deliver utterly unwatchable crap like Spider-Man 3.

The advertising has been relentless. If advertising works, and it does, I assume Oz will have a great and powerful opening weekend. After that? The Croods opens two weeks later. Apart from, lol, GI Joe: Retaliation, not much else is happening at the box office until Oblivion opens wide. I feel this is not going to be a happy March for Hollywood.

Luckily for Disney, WB already has the first John Carter of they year with its Jack and the Beanstalk flop, and audiences may be too busy ignoring Jack to avoid Oz, if that makes sense. It doesn't. Two back-to-back megabudget flops would be highly entertaining for the industry. Let's hope!

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I give it 3/5 on the Kunis scale.
    [​IMG]

Darth_Invidious and Jabbadabbado like this.
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I had no idea this even existed until I saw this thread.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You're 100% unlikely to see anything remotely like that. In Oz even the bad witches dress like forty-year-old virgins raised in a convent.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Meh, I still kind of want to see it. The reviews obviously haven't been great but they haven't been horrible.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You never know. Identity Thief has 23% on RT, yet it's the biggest U.S. hit of the year. A Good Day to Die Hard has 16% on RT, yet it is the biggest foreign hit of the year. We can't be responsible for other people's poor taste. All we can do is mock them for it relentlessly.

7. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    The reviews for Return to Oz were abysmal too. And I loved it as a kid and think it still holds up well.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Surprisingly I've never seen that movie. I should look it up.

9. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Dorothy is sent to the nut house for electroshock therapy. Good times. :)

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that movie gave me nightmares as a kid.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It actually got 4 out of 5 stars in the review in today's Daily Mail here in the UK. Review said there were flaws but it was still fun. And the May issue of SFX Magazine gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

12. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Currently at 57% on rt.

13. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    My girlfriend really wants to see it so I'll probably have to take her this weekend. I debated taking my kids to see the Jack and the Beanstalk movie last weekend but they opted for sledding instead. I'm really glad it worked out that way.

14. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The crew at Spill.com say it's pretty good. Cohost actually gave it "Better than Sex".

Which surprises me...I thought they of all people would be the ones to rip it a new one. Lots of comparisons to Evil Dead, and speculation that had the movie been made 20 years ago, Bruce Campbell would be playing Oz.

The one major problem they had with it is....James Franco. They list off actors who would have been better suited....the aforementioned Bruce Campbell, Robert Downey, Jr. and Johnny Depp.

Which is understandable.....Franco has all the charisma of spoiled mayonnaise. I was interested in the movie when RDJ was initially attached...since he's the absolute personification of the "***hole with a heart of gold" character.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I always let the opinions of others convince me what I like. Thanks, Jabba. I will certainly not like this film for myself now that I have the feedback of people who are paid to be cynics.

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'll have you know I am rarely compensated for my cynicism, other than it being its own reward.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Message me your PayPal info and I will gladly repay your kindness to all of us over the past decade+.

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oz was fun and pretty. Sure it wasn't the best cast or the best story, but it was very enjoyable.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    "It suffers from some tonal inconsistency and a deflated sense of wonder, but Oz the Great and Powerful still packs enough visual dazzle and clever wit to be entertaining in its own right." -RT

I'll see it at some point. Probably in the cheap theater. I did see Mila all made up on the cover of EW the other night, though. Usually, whenever they say that someone is "unrecognizable" I think that's a stretch, but if she looks in the movie like she does on the cover, they did a great job with her prosthetics. I really don't recognize her in that picture.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Convents have (sort of) low-cut dresses?
    [​IMG]

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Mild décolletage, ok, but not nearly enough to spoil a PG rating.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Let me restate my point: if you're looking for titillation (look this up if you have to, it does not mean "ventilation for tits") in Oz the Great and Powerful, you're looking up the wrong skirt.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh. And in all the buildup to it, I was believing this was meant to be a grindhouse film. :(