main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode: S05E20: The Wrong Jedi

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Mar 7, 2013.

?

Please grade this episode.

1. 10/10

54.4%
  2. 9/10

14.7%
  3. 8/10

11.8%
  4. 7/10

1.5%
  5. 6/10

5.9%
  6. 5/10

2.9%
  7. 4/10

1.5%
  8. 3/10

2.9%
  9. 2/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/10

4.4%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You guys know the drill.

Poll results are available by clicking on the number of votes next to each score.

That being said, we'd still prefer you to post with your score and what you liked and disliked

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Seerow Shouldn't this be S05E20? :p

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah... my bad... sorry guys and while I am here:

10/10, awesome episode. This episode is pretty raw and gives an interesting portrait of a family in turmoil getting ripped apart by outside forces that's poisoning them from the inside. That would be the Jedi Council expelling Ahsoka and handing her over to face military tribunal. They pretty much sentenced her to death and waiting for the will of the force to save her.

The will of the force was more like the will of Anakin. This is my favorite episode with him to date. Yeah, Anakin used all his guile to capture Barriss bu he shoved down his anger in order to pull through for her. Ventress lit a fire under his ass by accusing the Jedi of abandoning Ahsoka. Its a sad but cool parallel.

The cameos for the younglings and Terra Senube was cool. The action and pacing delivered. The end didn't quite bring me to tears but it was heart breaking none the less. Ahsoka has come quite a way from the snippy small lady who stepped off the gunship and had and opinion on everything. Insulting by the council trying to knight her as an apology and in unimaginable pain she walks out.

I am in the camp that Ahsoka is time frozen for now and waiting for another medium to tell her story. I look forward to that. I look forward to what's next for TCW. Well done. Great wrap to the season.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I gave this episode 9/10, because I thought the episode started off quite slow, but the episode was really intense the whole way through, which is what I really like in an episode. It could go up to a 9.5/10 or a 10/10 if I watch it again, but I've already watched it three times. The highlight of the episode was of course the Anakin vs. Barriss duel, which looked amazing, and the environment of the Jedi Temple they fought in made the duel look more impressive. Ahsoka leaving the Jedi order was sad, but was a feet last scene to the season. The Coleman Kcaj cameo and the Youngling cameo's were great, and I hope they do more with Coleman Kcaj, because he would be such a cool character to see in a battle. I really like the Jedi Temple Guards and I'd like to see some more of them. I actually put this episode as the 14th best episode of TCW ever, but it might make it's way up as I watch it more.

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    10/10. Probably the best episode the series has ever done.

6. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    "The Wrong Jedi"

+Coleman Kcaj
    +Obi-Wan standing up for Ahsoka
    +Jedi guards
    +I liked the use of "Snips" here
    +Music has been brilliant throughout the arc, but it really shines here
    +The expulsion sequence
    +I really enjoyed the Padmé/Ahsoka/Anakin family dynamic
    +Oh Ventress...
    +The military tribunal scene
    +Dyanmic between Padmé and Tarkin as "lawyers"...
    +Anakin using the light saber to lure Barriss into a trap
    +The conversation between Barriss and Anakin
    +Fight sequence between Anakin and Barriss
    +Master Sinube training the younglings
    +Vader landing amongst the younglings...
    +Barriss's speech I actually liked
    +Was the death penalty fueled by Tarkin's vendetta against Ahsoka personally?
    +Ahsoka leaving the Order, so well-done
    +Plo stopping Obi-Wan
    +Ahsoka/Anakin at the end, does she know?...
    +Phenomenal voice acting

-Not enough Ahsoka/Barriss interaction, a future episode perhaps?

10/10, a few nitpicks didn't ruin it for me at all

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Excellent mood-setting, wonderfully effective ending but too many plot contrivances to build up Ahsoka's isolation from and disillusionment with the Jedi by idiotic on-screen characterization and implausible situations.

FARK2005 likes this.
  8. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    It's amazing how something that used to be so bloody irritating is now so poignant. It was a good homage to TCW's early days in 2008 (calling to mind the good parts of that phase in TCW's evolution), and the episode ended by making me think of 2004, 2005 and the summarising prologue of the Revenge of the Sith novelisation. It was nostalgic overall and in a very good way, never making it seem hackneyed or obsessively referential as some homages and allusions seem.

It was bittersweet. It definitely highlighted the lost hope for a happy existence for the unofficial Skywalker family in the films. The foreshadow of ROTS was felt keenly throughout this episode, and Padme's appearance (complete with a new character model and a much improved vocal performance from Cat Taber) made it stand out.

Despite being a partial conclusion, this opened as many doors of possibility as it closed...

I have to say, re-watching this made it seem even better, even if the effect of a spoiler-free anticipatory period was not replicated. I picked up on all the subtle character interactions (Ahsoka and Barriss' final shared glance, Obi-Wan being torn on how to help Anakin get through his loss) the first time around, but they really stood out on a second viewing. Everything about the episode - from the animation to the plot - seemed stronger after a re-watch and a bit of thinking through.

My favourite S5 episode isn't this, but this was definitely another highlight of the season. 10/10.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    10/10

This episode, wow god damn, became my fav TCW episode!

10. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    8/10. Objectively, I think that it's a great episode. Well executed, emotional, a fine ending to a strong arc and in my opinion the best season finale of the show. But I have a hard time getting past my Barriss and EU bias, such as they are, so that hurts it a little for me. Obviously not much, since that's still a high score, but it didn't achieve perfection for me due to some of the story choices.

11. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    10/10

I now know my favorite episode of the series!

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This episode was the show in a nutshell: looks great, sounds great, full of plot contrivances, inconsistent characterisation, forced drama, EU steamrolling and Ahsoka generally being greater than everyone else.

It's a 6/10 for me.

13. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    This episode was mind blowing, easily a 10/10, and defiantly one of the best TCW episodes ever. Second only to the Jedi who knew too much by a HAIR..... Anyways, this episode was amazing, emotional, and heartbreaking. This episode helped ROTS in SOO many ways. Before we had anakin betraying the order cause of padme + they didnt give him master.... Now we have some LEGIT reason why anakin dislikes the council and RIGHTFULLY SO. They were jerks... The Duel was awesome here, I'm surprised barris did so well, but I guess she's more powerful than I formerly thought. Either way the duel was fantastic, and anakin owned in the end. The big moment for me was Ahsoka walking away from the order.... That was extremely painful to see, and quite frankly, everytime I see it the waterworks start and I'm full on crying like a baby.... I've only cried a few times in SW (Death of QGJ, Anakin going darkside/Order 66 deaths, Obi's death in ANH, Yoda's death in ROTJ, and sometimes I get tears of joy when i see luke looking at the force ghosts in ROTJ) Anyways, gotta add Ahsoka leaving the order to that list now... The thing is, it's not entirely sad. Ahsoka is so strong and brave, she will be just fine. It's really sad to see her go. Her dynamic with Anakin was top notch, easily my favorite relationship in the entire show. Now it looks like im never gona see that again :(

I feel like this episode comeing to a close is a bitter-sweet sensation. Sweet in the sense that it was an amazing episode, that set up the future movies perfectly and was an end the one of the best clone wars seasons to date. However this ending is also bitter unfortunately. Bitter because, lets be real here. Things are not looking bright for the future of TCW. With still no word on season 6, this might have been the end of the series. Thinking of clone wars endings just really depresses me. I started out with nothing but pure hate for this show, now I’m one of the biggest fanboys around. With what we have in store for the SW future (Episode 7 + spinoffs) I get pretty upset. Upset because shows like TCW, underworld and the 1313 game get the shaft to bring us this generic crap. If TCW gets canceled, I dont know what I will do.

This episode had a few negatives however i’d like to point out. I thought the sentinels were pretty lame, they looked super weird. Plus we didnt even get to see them in combat. I think in the duel with barriss, some of the other jedi should have gotten involved, and barris should have killed a sentinel or two and possibly tera sinube. But back to negative, the biggest flaw in this episode was palpatine. The new guy sounds like TRASH, no emotion. Idk how they thought acquiring this guy was good... Not looking forward to seeing more of palpatine in the future because of this

All in all, 10/10 and I can say with confidence that this is the 2nd best episode of the clone wars all time!

Vizzy91, Seerow and InterestingLurker like this.
  14. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    10/10. Most emotional episode of the series, especially since I watched the Clone Wars film the night before.

15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    +1 for the most emotionally devastating episode in TCW.
    +1 for daring to buck the status quo and move in a very unexpected direction.
    12/10.

16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    10/10, another episode to add to my top 5 favorite episodes of TCW, now it stands as..
    1. The Lawless.
    2. Rookies.
    3. Darkness on Umbara
    4. The Wrong Jedi.
    5. The Jedi Who Knew Too Much.

The single best season finale we've had yet, incredibly emotional episode.

These last two arcs of Season 5 were the best arcs I have ever seen in relation to Clone Wars. Hopefully we'll be back for Season 6!

Vizzy91 likes this.
  17. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Great episode and probably my favorite of the season. It was well executed and was nicely paced too; many solid scenes (like the hearing and the tribunal ones as well as the duel), I really liked the character development of Ahsoka and Anakin & as for the dramatic moments, they were pulled off really well (the emotion put into those last scenes was very good; it was a perfect amount and didn't make it feel sappy). As for the big reveal of the real criminal, I didn't have any problems with whom it turned out to be as they handled it quite well.

One could argue that the portrayal of the Jedi Council wasn't perfect; personally, I liked it as it showed that they are not flawless and like the Republic itself, has turned rather "dysfunctional" during the war as Barriss more or less much put it towards the end. It was also great that they didn't shy away from not going the status quo route in the end and it does show that the series has grown alot; I'd even say that this was one of the most important episodes of the series so far.

10/10

18. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I’ll give it:
    • 1 points for visuals and music.
    • 1 for Anakin being portrayed exactly as he should.
    • and 1 point for: “Such promises.” (Ventress, you rule!).

The rest of the episode was just poor:
    • “My Master abandoned me and that’s exactly what you did to her - you and your precious Jedi Order.” That was clearly designed to make the audience feel sympathetic towards Ashoka, and it would have been fine if it wasn’t so misleading: Anakin didn’t abandon Ashoka, she abandoned him when she refused his help because she didn’t trust him though he was the person closest to her. And though I agree that the Jedi Order abandoned Ashoka in this episode, it was her actions in the previous episodes that forced them to do so, and essentially she was the one who abandoned the Jedi first - and the Republic - by refusing to stay put for the trial because she already come to the conclusion that she would be found guilty.
    • I would really like to know what exactly this overwhelming evidence against Ashoka is – and even more importantly I would like to know what was thought of the evidence that pointed to her being made a scapegoat (e.g. wouldn’t there be recordings of the person who attacked the guards and helped Ashoka escape the prison?)
    • how did the Senate suddenly get judicial power? Even if it had happened off screen, one should think they had better things to do with a war going on and everything…
    • NO! Ashoka should not have been offered knighthood. If this was Ashoka’s great trial she failed abysmally: she ran away before even haven been put on trial, violently resisted arrest, and teamed up with a known criminal. It has nothing to do with “strength” or “resilience” – it was essentially fear that guided her actions, which just proves she is not ready to a Knight.
    • Anakin stop apologizing to Ashoka – she’s the one who should apologize to you.
    • the episode guide claimed Barriss Offee would be in this episode… well, I certainly didn’t see her. I saw her insane, evil twin-sister, but that was it.
    • how fortunate for Ashoka that the Offee-clone decided to confess despite the fact that Anakin didn’t really any evidence to nail her as the culprit. All she had to do was to keep her mouth shut or claim Anakin threatened her into confessing, and she would likely have walked away (naturally, with 5 minutes to go and as of yet having failed to present us with any actual evidence, the writers had no other way out).
    The way I see it, the aim of this episode was restricted to making the audience feel sorry for Ashoka, which is why it failed to present a coherent plot. I feel as though I just watched a badly written h/c-fanfiction being brought to the screen.

3/10

19. Nubbs

Nubbs Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2013
    A generous 8/10 from me.

-Still not happy with the "Ahsoka's friend and Jedi Healer Barriss murders innocent people and frames Ahsoka to make a point that the Jedi have lost their way" plot. It wasn't explained well enough for such a massive change of motivation by an established character and still makes no sense to me. -.5
    ++the music and visuals were fantastic
    +I think the temple guard model was just a way of getting around animating a bunch of individual Jedi, but they looked pretty cool.
    ++There were finally consequences for the actions of Ahsoka and other main characters. Now they can't just spin their wheels for another season but are forced to move on (if the show comes back). I've been waiting for meaningful plot advancement, and judging by the increased ratings so were a lot of other people.
    +I like the portrayal of TCW Anakin as ferociously loyal to people he is close to.
    +Use of "Snips" not making me roll my eyes, something I thought was impossible. Didn't even notice it until the second viewing.
    +Tera Sinube appearance with the younglings.
    +CN letting the credits roll without playing an annoying commercial over them.
    +Voice acting =D=! I'll give Curry a pass until he has time to perfect his Palpatine. The rest of the crew did a great job.
    - - Plot holes! Plot holes everywhere! How is Ventress so easy to find? Why is Anakin the only Jedi looking for Ventress after she has been spotted wandering around Coruscant the previous episode? If she accepted Ahsoka's offer of help with getting a pardon clearly she's still a wanted war criminal. Why didn't Barriss throw her red lightsabers away or hide them in a safer place than her room? Why didn't Barriss run away from the temple after Anakin fell down to the level with the younglings and Tera Sinube? The writers ask me to accept that Barriss wanted to get away with the bombing so much that she decides to frame her friend, yet for some reason Barriss decides its a good idea to leap down and duel the chosen one (and whatever Jedi were in the temple at the time) instead of running away once she gained separation from Anakin? Did she want to get away with it or not? Make up your mind, TCW writers. A few plot holes are possible to overlook, but they really start to stack up as the episode moves along. -1.5 and I could have taken off more here.

I'd be happy to watch this episode again, but it's not close to my favorite of the season.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    x1600. =D=

Mia Mesharad and GGrievous like this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If I had voted right after watching this for the second time (when I made my posts in the episode thread), I would have given it a 10/10. That was when I said it was the best episode of TCW ever. But I guess time puts a bit of a damper on enthusiasm once you have more time to reflect more and let things sink in. Many of FARK2005 's and others' points are very valid.

I would also be happier with the episode if the Ahsoka closure was actually closure. Part of me just wanted the whole series to end here, but the other part of me that knows they have other issues to tie up at least wanted this to be the end of the Ahsoka story. Just let her make her decision and have her moment... and then walk out of the Temple, out of the Order, and out of the show; THAT would have been a profound ending. We don't have to see anything else about her in the future (and I say this as someone who used to think the show had to have her getting killed), but apparently the writers are going to include her in some way in future episodes. That diminishes this.

So I gave it an 8/10. It still ranks as one of my favorites (together with Rookies, the Umbara arc, and some of the Maul arc episodes).

Nubbs likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    9/10

I thought this episode was structured very well. It hit all the right emotional chords with Anakin, Ahsoka, Barriss and even Asajj. I loved the scene of Anakin and Asajj just standing around talking to each other as if they weren't enemies. The music was top notch, sampling WIlliams's stuff but also building on it. Anakin and Barriss's duel was very well done, though it was a little odd the Temple Guards did little more than observe the fight. Must've figured the Chosen One could handle it.

Now, there's clearly some issues with the directions they've taken with Barriss in relation to the EU, but within the show it's pretty fine. We haven't seen Barriss IU in quite a while; who knows what she's experienced during that time that led her to commit these treasonous acts. And yeah, there's some contrivances in Ahsoka's trial, but those didn't really bother me. I expect these sort of "kangaroo courts" will become increasingly common as the Republic transforms further into the Empire.

I loved all the panning shots of the Republic Military Institution, as well as the final shots of Ahsoka leaving the Temple. I liked seeing some more parts of the Temple that we don't normally see, like the outdoor training yard with that big tree. And some nice continuity showing the group of young Jedi again.

But most of all, this was a very important episode not only for Ahsoka, but for Anakin as well. A lot of the Council's actions explain some of his attitudes during ROTS. And of course we see lots of foreshadowing of his attachment issues.

eht13 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    5/10

I had to step away from how emotional I originally got on Anakin's behalf over this episode, to really grade it.

The five points were for Anakin's portrayal, which was ****ing awesome (including the use of "Snips," which I loved) and for Ventress.

The rest of it sucked.

Ahsoka left the Order? Yeah, the only reason I give a rat's ass is because Anakin was upset. Beyond that she can fall into a nest of gundaarks, I don't care.

Plot holes galore. Apparently there are no law schools in the GFFA. And apparently we are supposed to believe that Ahsoka and Barriss are BFFs because they had a conversation on a Republic battleship in Brain Invaders three years ago. I personally have a hell of a lot of BFFs if that is the definition--except that it isn't. And apparently, the Supreme Chancellor regularly runs Republic trials with Senators as representatives and jury--and no one questions it. OK. Whatever.

"The Council doesn't trust me. How can I trust myself?" *headdesk* Seriously? We're apparently supposed to believe that you are so ****ing awesome that you are too good to stay in the corrupt Jedi Order anymore but your trust in yourself depends on their trust in you? Give me a ****ing break.

And Barriss...nah, not even going to get started. I've made my opinion on that one well known. I will say what I said in the discussion thread that it didn't piss me off as much as I had anticipated, but I had anticipated blowing up the Internet, and the result was being too resigned and apathetic to be pissed off. I'm not sure the latter is any improvement.

24. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, let's start with the good. The animation was excellent, the fights were well choreographed, the setting of both the ImperialRepublic court and the outer Temple were engaging, and I thoroughly enjoy everything about the Jedi Temple Guard. Anakin's portrayal throughout the arc and this episode was very moving, and the final moments of his goodbyes with Ahsoka on the Temple steps were quite powerful.

With that said, Barriss is, was, and will remain a bad decision and though I've reviewed multiple people's views on her fall and motivations, I remain deeply opposed to it in every fashion. The episode loses a point for ruining continuity again, throwing aside Revenge of the Sith, Reversal of Fortune, and Evasive Action for a twist that was only truly shocking because Barriss wasn't supposed to ever be dark. It loses another point for ruined characterization separate from continuity, using repetitive and shallow platitudes in an attempt to justify the poor decision to turn a sweet and noble character into a terrorist for shock value. So -2. The decision to portray the Council so poorly―the Jedi are supposed to be flawed, yet noble, not politically expedient and idiotic―along with Ahsoka's botched "I swear I don't hate the Council, just me" reasoning, especially in light of it being a poor Lucas-mandated change, requires the deduction of (at least) another point. -1. Shoehorning in Padme as Ahsoka's defense for nothing more than the sake of having Padme was an awful decision, as was Anakin deciding that two minutes of being helpful was enough to justify letting Ventress the CIS warcriminal simply walk away after their meeting instead of placing her under arrest, not to mention Ventress being suddenly fall-over incompetent simply because she wasn't in possession of her lightsabers. For all of that, at a quarter point each, another -1.

In summation, a pretty episode that had so much potential, but tripped at the finish line of a rather strong story arc, dragged down by poor decisions and poor writing. Score: 6 out of 10.

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Go home Ahsoka, you're drunk.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.