main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will cloning come back into play?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Mar 8, 2013.

1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Now that cloning has been established as a big part of the Star Wars universe, do you think it could come back into play in Ep VII? Not saying I necessarily want to see it happen, but the filmmakers do have a unique opportunity to bring in cloned versions of Prequel characters: Obi-Wan, Anakin, Palpatine, etc. Maybe a Force-using villain finds an old Jedi blood bank or something and tries to recreate his or her own Jedi or Sith Order. Luke facing off against evil versions of people from his past could provide for some interesting drama.

But the idea could also get pretty silly, so it would all depend on how it'd be handled. Thoughts?

2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I think cloning in general will be mentioned, but i dont see another clone army.

-C

3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I sincerely hope not. At least not in the way you've described. Clones as mass produced throwaway figures is one thing, but clones of main/dead characters is something else all together. (yes I know they did it in the books - how did that turn out? - How do we know he's a clone? He's got an extra U in his name! :rolleyes:)

4. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Maybe the odd mention here and there, but other than that....
    [​IMG]

Episode Swag likes this.
  5. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well it's a cheap and easy way to bring back the Emperor but hopefully not.

6. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    I personally would not want to see cloning back in the Star Wars universe, but I can't help think that because the technology exists that the Emperor himself would not have taken advantage of it! It certainly would stand to reason that he would want to ensure that he continued his existence in one way or another!
    It would also stand to reason that if the Emperor had used cloning technology, that he would have cloned Vader as well....whether he knew about it or not!
    I really hope they don't go down this route, but if they did the fact is it would be plausible and a way of bringing both the Emperor and Vader back onto the screen!

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Um, being able to produce a clone doesn't automatically mean you can transfer your spirit into them. Actually, it is quite unlikely that Vader or Sidious possessed the knowledge to do so. Otherwise Vader would've simply transfered himself into a whole new body instead of remaining in the old one.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    If Kamino appears, everything is possible. As I mentioned before, maybe Kamino is still in Imperial hands in the Disney Universe!

9. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    Um...it wouldn't necessarily have to transfer the spirit into them! The spirit would automatically exist as it would be a body that is a direct copy of the original! The lifeforce of the clone would be that of the Emperor or Vader!

As for them possessing the knowledge....I think it would quite naive to think that the Emperor would not have access to those who possess the knowledge of cloning! As for Vader.... read what I said.... the Emperor could have cloned him whether he knew it or not!

10. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I always thought that clones had no access to the force. I know in the EU they do though...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Noooo no no

12. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I sure hope not

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    So then ... why didn't Vader clone himself and transfer into a body sans the injuries he sustained at Mustafar? He definitely had the resources to do so. I can only guess it is not (yet?) possible to transfer your spirit into a clone body.

What I meant was the knowledge of spirit transfer, not of cloning itself.

But okay, lets assume Palpy knew how to transfer spirits and Vader didn't. Why didn't he fetch himself a new, youthful body? He was a withered old wreck in ROTJ, probably addled with arthritis and incontinence.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the process is risky and uncertain enough, that it's best to only do it when there's no alternative?

In Dark Empire, he claims that he had, in fact, transferred, in the past, before his "death" on the second Death Star- but each time he transfers, the new body rapidly withers, so he needs to transfer again.

Later, Leland Chee retconned it so that he was lying- his transfer after his "death" on the Death Star, was his very first.

15. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I dont think so. I think cloning was something that was used as a bad decision that wouldn't be repeated after the Empires defeat.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ja, but that explanation is really cheesy. Should they really go that path?

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was based on the assumption that his appearance was due to "dark side corruption" on his flesh.

Later the possibility that it was due to his own lightning hitting him in the face at point blank range was introduced, in RoTS.

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Most people/fans will dismiss this thread out of hand, but it's actually a good question. Now, I'm NOT saying I want to see clones sof the Emperor, or Vader or Maul or Boba Fett etc... BUT we don't know the fate of the Kaminoans nor of the Clones/Stormtroopers. It's conceivable they continued to operate.

Let's just say I wouldn't rule out some sort of cloning, but it'd have to be smart, this could get carried away really fast.

19. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree cloning can get out of hand. I will admit that if I see a clone of Palpatine, Vader, Obi-Wan etc then I will be heading up the aisle and out the door.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Repeating what has already been said.

I certainly hope not, and using cloning to resurrect dead characters will irritate me enough to make me leave the theater.

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No I want to see something new and sci-fi related.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nah, I say leave the clones in the Prequels, among other things.

23. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    The nice thing about cloning in Star Wars films is that it's relatively realistic. Clones are people who just happen to share their genetic code with someone else. They don't have the same personality or the same mind, and they're not an instant copy.

I'd rather cloning stayed this way, instead of adopting the EU cliche of allowing anybody to come back at a moment's notice.

24. Darthchrontis

Darthchrontis Jedi Padawan

Feb 25, 2013
    There coud be a loy of jobless/out of work clones post rotj. Perhaps the plot will involve them protesting against the skywalkers "you took our jobs"

25. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I miss the days of imagining how awesome the clone wars were. **** you George Lucas! [face_plain]