main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 16, 2013.

1. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I'll be using the same lineup as well.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    If a basketball draft was to occur again, I think it would be interesting to implement some kind of salary cap. I don't know if the site Inty uses accomodates that, or if it would have to be self-imposed, but I think it would make the selections more interesting and create a more "realistic", balanced squad.

just an idea. now, back to lurking.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Essentially what happened the Courtsiders in this round. :p I believe this was the first game in which Johnson didn't dish out double digit assists, and I remained flummoxed that the simulation didn't give Robert Horry a chance to shine. And what indignity to be eliminated in Boston. Well, if you end up winning this, at least I lost to the eventual champ.

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    not really sure how that would work epic. i think that would be an awful lot of work as it'd have to be decided what pretty much every player ever was worth in whatever season they were being picked... that... just doesn't sound feasible for something as informal as this.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    WhatIf supplies salaries for players, specific to the year.

6. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i still think it'd be one helluva headache.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From the Forum in Los Angeles, California ...

Honey Nut Cheerios vs. Midland City Gutless Wonders

It's a good thing Wilt Chamberlain scored 45 points.

His team needed every single one of them.

When Chris Webber missed both of his free throws with 2 seconds left, the game was set to end any way. When Moses Malone grabbed the rebound for the Cheerios, the stage was set for a dramatic last shot.

But, Midland City denied MIchael Jordan the ball on the restart, Moses Malone took the final shot, and it fell away, giving Midland City a hard-fought victory.

Midland City appeared to finally be putting some breathing space and locking up the game as they expanded their lead to 11 early in the fourth quarter. But, the Cheerios refused to fade, even when the deficit hit 12 with only 4:21 left, and was back up to 11 at the three-minute mark, and to thirteen with 1:31 left

But the Cheerios chipped away.

Scotten Pippen scored on a bank shot, and then hit a three after a Dwyane Wade turnover to cut the lead to 7. After Larry Bird made both his free throws, Moses Malone kept the lead at 7. Wilt Chamberlain split his free throws, and another triple from Pippen cut the lead to 5.

Chamberlain split his free throws again, and Michael Jordan hit a jumper to make it 4-point game with thirteen seconds left. After WIlt again split his pair, Scottie Pippen hit yet another three - he was four=for-four on the night from long range - and we had a two-point game with four seconds left.

Then came the Chris Webber missed throws, and the Moses Malone missed jumper at the buzzer.

In addition to his 45 points, Wilt grabbed 12 rebounds on his way to player of the game honors.

Scottie Pippen lead the way for the Cheerios, coming up one assist shy of the tournament's first triple-double, as he put in 24 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, and handed out 9 assists.

The two will meet again in the next game. Will The Cheerios find it in them to force a game three? Or will Midland City be off to the finals?

Final Score: Midland City Gutless Wonders 114, Honey Nut Cheerios 112

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    BTW - my apologies for the delay in getting that game posted. In addition to work, my body decided this would be a good time for a nasty head cold.

10. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm not changing my lineup, if it matters.

I may regret that.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005

After 48 minutes, Michael Jordan wasn't ready to say goodbye to this tournament.

After another five minutes of overtime, he still wasn't ready.

Jordan scored 6 of his game-high 31 points and added an assist in the final two-and-a-half minutes of regulation as the Honey Nut Cheerios rallied to force overtime.

Jordan didn't score again until there were ten seconds left in overtime, but his final points were crucial. His bank shot with ten seconds left in the extra session gave the Cheerios their first lead since they lead 2-0. Chris Webber then got free on the lift wing to put the Gutless Wonders back up by a point, but Jordan, at the Buzzer, drained the shot and sent his team onward to a decisive game three.

For the game Jordan added 8 assists and 5 rebounds to his 31 points on his way to being named player of the game. Moses Malone added 26 points and 12 rebounds, and Isiah Thomas had 20 points and 12 rebounds.

For Midland City, it's a game of what if. Leading by 14 entering the fourth quarter, they looked primed to cruise into the finals. But Wilt Chamberlain's 24 points and 15 rebounds, Larry Bird's 21 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists, and Chris Paul's 23 points 7 rebounds and 7 assists weren't quite enough to lead them to victory tonight.

They'll be left to hope that it's not entirely a What If.

Final Score: Honey Nut Cheerios 119, Midland City Gutless Wonders 118 (OT)

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Game three will be posted tomorrow

14. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm telling Michael that Wade was talking smack about him. That should guarantee me a win.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005

This time, there would be no chance for MJ Magic at the buzzer.

Wilt Chamberlain made sure of that.

Chamberlain scored 25 points and grabbed 13 rebounds as Midland City buried Honey Nut Cheerios to advance to the finals.

Wilt scored 16 of his 25 points in the first half as the Gutless Wonders raced out to a 16-point halftime lead. Just to make sure the lead was safe, Wilt also scored the first two buckets of the second half.

Chris Paul added 21 points, and Larry Bird had 12 point and 10 rebounds as the Midland City used lights-out shooting to run away with this one. For the game, they shot 56% from the field, made all four three-pointers they attempted, and got to the line an amazing 26 times - and hit 22 of those. It helped that the Gutless Wonders got an assist on about 70% of their field goals.

Isiah Thomas was the bright spot for Honey Nut Cheerios, scoring 15 and adding 12 assists. Michael Jordan followed up his magical game with a rough outing - he had more fouls (6) than points (5) and as many turnovers (5) as rebounds (4) and assists (1) combined.

That sets up a rematch for the finals. Midland City swept Bruce willis in group play. Are we in for more of the same? Or can Bruce willis finally master the Gutless Wonders?

Final Score: Midland City Gutless Wonders 128, Honey Nut Cheerios 97

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    did jordan ever have a game like that at any point in his career? just curious.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Do you mean a game where he had to deal with Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, and Wilt Chamberlain, all at the same time?

No. He never had a game like that.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    more, i meant where he played that poorly.

19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Really, I put all of my success on the very tall shoulders of Wilt. His season averages for that year are insane, and he's barely averaging half of those numbers this tournament(which I guess is really good considering the competition).

Anyway we'll keep it the same; why mess with success?

20. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Oh, Jordan played?

21. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002

I think this plan backfired.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sticking with this lineup for game 1.

pg: steve nash (32 minutes), russell westbrook (10 minutes), lebron james (6 minutes)
    sg: tracy mcgrady (39 minutes), george gervin (9 minutes)
    sf: lebron james (34 minutes), (carmelo anthony 14 minutes)
    pf: shawn kemp (20 minutes) dirk nowitski (28 minutes), amare stoudemire (0 minutes)
    c: david robinson (38 minutes), artis gilmore (10 minutes), (yao ming 0 minutes)

good luck luigi!

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    May the best randomly computed statistical variable win.

DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Game One ... of the Arena Basketball Draft Finals

[​IMG]

From Madison Square Garden, in New York City

Bruce willis vs. Midland City Gutless Wonders

Third game against Bruce willis?

Third victory for Midland City.

Wilt Chamberlain keyed a smother defense for the Gutless Wonders, and with 29 points, 18 rebounds, and 8 blocks, Chamberlain easily posted another player of the game honors.

Chamberlain got going early, scoring 9 points in the opening period. He also drew two early fouls on Shawn Kemp, putting Bruce willis on their heels early on. Chamberlain continued to fuel his team on both offense and defense, as Midland City ran to a 26-point halftime lead.

Wilt got help from his supporting cast, too - 21 points and 12 rebounds from Larry Bird, 17 points and 10 assists from Chris Paul, and 19 points from Dwyane Wade.

Bruce willis got a good game from LeBron James (19 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists) and offensive contributions from David Robinson (18 points) Dirk Nowitzki (17 points), but will need more in game two if they are going to turn the series around and find an answer for Chamberlain. The Gutless Wonders shot the ball at 53%, compared to 43% for Bruce willis, and Midland City got the charity stripe twice as often - and converted nearly three times as many free throws.

We'll see what chances Bruce willis is able to make for game two ...

Final Score: Midland City Gutless Wonders 132, Bruce willis 99

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol. uh... hmm.... wow. i'm going to have to try to make some changes. here goes:

pg: steve nash (32 minutes), russell westbrook (16 minutes)
    sg: tracy mcgrady (42 minutes), george gervin (6 minutes)
    sf: lebron james (44 minutes), (carmelo anthony 4 minutes)
    pf: dirk nowitski (40 minutes), shawn kemp (8 minutes) , amare stoudemire (0 minutes)
    c: david robinson (42 minutes), artis gilmore (6 minutes), (yao ming 0 minutes)