main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Keep the Midi-chlorians out of the sequels please!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Sith_Knight087, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly this. Jar Jar's role wasn't reduced due to negative fan reaction but because the story demanded it. In what other role could he serve in Episode II other then the one he does (which is still quite significant BTW)? Was he to go with Anakin and Padme? Or Obi-Wan on his investigation? I don't think so. Similarly there's just no where to cram Jar Jar into Episode III. He had a few scenes written but they were cut because they weren't important to the story. It's the same with midi-chlorians. They weren't mentioned in Episode II because no one had a reason to mention them. Once they were important to the story again (ROTS) they were brought up.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Qui Gon made up Midichlorians because he was crazy, and when he was telling Anakin about them he had taken too many Crazy Pills earlier? I hate it when that happens.

3. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    People are saying Midichlorians were only mentioned in Episode I. Palpatine mentions them in Episode III, too.

To be honest, along with many others, I don't like the idea of Midichlorians either. I preferred it when The Force was almost a total mystery. Something magical about that.

4. Lawrence Futol

Lawrence Futol Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Yeah, they were voluntarily given away because they were shown solid evidence they had the Force.

The midi-chlorians don't explain the Force, they only explain why certain people are strong with it. I think if you didn't have them people(mostly non SW) would wonder why there are only a large but still limited amount of Force users in the galaxy. In the OT the amount of Jedi and Sith could literally be counted on one hand so you didn't need an explanation.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't think anyone has said that. It's been said that they weren't mentioned after Ep 1 by a single Jedi, which is true.

6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I couldn't disagree more. If JarJar was hugely popular & everyone loved him & critics said he was a brilliant character of course Lucas would've written at bigger role for the character. It has nothing to do with capitulating. Movie makers gauge the reaction of fans & make adjustments accordingly as they go. There's nothing wrong with that. Doesn't mean he would've had to massively change the film. JarJar just could've just had a few more scenes.

Lucas himself described how he did this with Boba Fett. The character first appeared in the holiday special & fans responded well. Based on this Lucas put him in ESB. He then became a cult favorite so Lucas put him in RotJ. His popularity no doubt led Lucas to explore his backstory in the prequels. This was all based on positive fan opinion of the character. So do you think that if fans had hated Boba Fett from the start Lucas would've kept including the character as much as he did?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And it still is. People who think midi-chlorians demystify the Force need to watch the scene again and pay attention to what is said. Midi-chlorians are not the Force, neither is the Force itself being explained. They are merely the link between a living being and the Force. What the Force is? Still "an energy field created by all living things."

8. Orochi Oni

Mar 8, 2013
    It took the mystery away from how some beings are more powerful with The Force than others.

Accusing people of not paying attention seems to be common on these forums...

9. localriot

localriot Jedi Padawan

Mar 8, 2013
    I thought it was better when the power of the force was something a jedi could teach you rather than just a measure of something in a blood test that you were either born with or not. Afterall if you were born in the republic you'd be detected early, if you didn't have it then i guess the jedi wern't interested.
    Was it also implied in the PT that children of someone with alot of midichlorians would have kids with a high count? If so then the jedi are shooting themselves in the foot by not having kids.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  10. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

Yeah, let's have those ridiculous paddle thingies instead.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, and my sister has it..." - Luke Skywalker, Return of the Jedi (1983)

It's no mystery some beings are more powerful with the Force than others. And it's no mystery that part of it is hereditary. Both are pre-established facts. Midi-chlorians merely connect the dots and give some background to how people (Jedi in particular) are able to feel the Force and use it.

And once again, the Force itself is never explained and thus remains a mystery.

12. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Huh? Not following.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm basing that on extrapolation from Obi-Wan's quote. ( As far as more explicit evidence is concerned, I'd probably have to go to somewhere in the EU for that. )

It's called taking his words out of context. "Bumper sticker speak" ( not my nomenclature ) is notoriously easy to misinterpret. Once again, he is not saying that physical damage can have no effect on Force ability. That is not what he is talking about.

You're imagining things. I said nothing about prostheses being "bad". However, they are not living tissue and cells and as such are indeed unnatural in a sense. There are no "preconceptions" at work here, other than your own.

It's a reference to the method for identifying Jedi candidates that was used in the book Jedi Search from the pre-PT days.

That's because Luke was actively using the Force at that point, after having begun his Jedi training. The same cannot be said for Leia, who spent a lot of time around Vader in the same film without Vader sensing anything, or for children selected for induction into the order.

14. Orochi Oni

Mar 8, 2013
    The mystery there was why The Force favoured the Skywalkers. Now we know that The Force isn't strong in the family because of some mystical bond, but because they have a large amount of microorganisms living inside them.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree but that's okay we all have our own opinion. [face_peace] Jar Jar's role in Episode II is quite significant to the plot of the film and the saga as a whole. That shows me that GL didn't let negative opinion affect his story. Even if Jar Jar's screen time is reduced in AOTC his importance to the plot is enhanced IMO. With Boba, Lucas had a logical place to place him into ROTJ without distracting from the story but if his scenes in ROTJ hadn't advanced the plot then there's no doubt they would have been cut just like Jar Jar's scenes in ROTS were. Even Padme had her scenes reduced so the film could focus on Anakin.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Also, from Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor in the EU:

His devotion to the Way of the Dark had shown him a path to power greater than Palpatine could have ever dreamed: to transfer his consciousness permanently into a body that was young, that was healthy and handsome in a way Cronal had never been. A body more powerful in the Force than Vader, potentially more powerful even than Palpatine.

Here it is specifically said that it is Luke's body which is strong in the Force.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Once again you're inventing your own rules. Was Luke "actively using the Force" when he was kicking back in the Imperial shuttle & Vader could sense him from his Star Destroyer?

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Once again? :confused: The facts remain: Vader showed no sign that he sensed anything from Leia, Luke was using the Force in the trench, Luke had already been partially trained by Obi-Wan and sensitized to the Force by the time his power was sensed by Vader, and Luke only became of concern to the Emperor after he had begun his training with Yoda. These facts are not inventions. They can be seen to have logical consequences, and your apparent assumption about the ability to sense the untrained is contradicted by evidence such as ANH Leia and TPM Anakin.

19. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Qui-Gon senses Anakin as a boy, who had not been trained

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Only after the fact. He doesn't react to Anakin's first appearance in any notable way. He doesn't even begin to suspect Anakin's Force potential until he hears about the podracing.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It might be a fact that Vader showed no sign but it's not a fact that he definitely didn't sense some Force potential in Leia. Maybe he did but didn't care. Maybe it's not that uncommon. You tend to make alot of assumptions

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    After what fact, the point was about training. Anakin has received no training.

23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Wrong, he stopped & stared at Anakin while thanking him when they met & was clearly very interested in him. How do you know what Qui Gon was thinking & sensing in this moment? Does your edition of TPM come with thought bubbles above each character?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    After learning of his midichlorian count, and experiencing remotely his unknowing low-level use of the Force during the race.

Like your assumption about whether Luke is or is not using the Force at a given time. In fact your whole position on this issue is just as much an assumption as anything else.

How do you know what Qui Gon was thinking & sensing in this moment? Does your adition of TPM come with thought bubbles above each character? Besides, you're talking about a later scene than the one in which Anakin makes his first appearance. It provokes no reaction from Qui-Gon at all.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    He clearly senses the force in an untrained Anakin. The boy has never even heard of the force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.