main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New cartoon series after episode VII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth slaughter, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    I've come to love clone wars as the seasons have gone on.... However, how much more can you do about the clone wars? Another couple of seasons maybe?
    I just feel that after episode VII it will open a new can of worms and we'll no longer have to be stuck in that clone wars era which we have done for quite a few years now.
    Lets get the same people who do clone wars, after episode VII, working on a new series!

Maybe a series set between episode III and IV? That 20 year period we'd all like to see!
    Or maybe a series set between episode VI and VII?

What do you all think?
    I do love clone wars but feel like they will hit a dead end with it soon. How many more times can anakin and obi fight dooku, maul or them rubbish separatist robots?
    A live action tv series Disney may not go for, they do seem to prefer movies don't they? But I could really see Disney expanding into more Star Wars animation series soon.... After all, it's what Disney are great at!
    Imagine Star Wars underworld as a cartoon series? Looking like the game trailer for the same name. How amazing would that be? Or a knights of the old republic series?

Great things are coming in the Star Wars universe and it looks like Star Wars will be with us for many many many more years now and for us oldies we'll now always be able to keep a piece of our childhood with us in our adult world.
    Thank you George Lucas.

whostheBossk and jedi-soon like this.
  2. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    My hope is for the LAS set between Episodes III-IV and/or Vader spin-off(s) set in that time period. I suppose the post RoTJ years could make for an interesting animated series, too. I've never played KOTOR, so not sure what potential there is there.

Whilst I've fallen behind with TCW during the last two seasons, I tend to agree that the TCW should be drawing to an end now.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't think Underworld will translate into a cartoon series. I'd love to see an OT era cartoon show though - then maybe follow that one up with one for the new movies.

I also think anything KOTOR related will be put on hold until the new movies become more prominent and the fanbase for star wars grows huge again. It's not their moneymaker at the moment.

4. Darth slaughter

Feb 22, 2013
    Loads of potential with KOTOR. Imagine a time 1000s of years before the movies we know when the sith were many (in their 1000s) and were controlled by Sith Lords. All out wars with the Jedi and the old republic. I guess it would be a good way of showing a series of loads of Sith Lords fighting loads of Jedi . Check out the trailers for the games and you get an idea :)

5. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    No thanks.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  6. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    So much Clone Wars stuff. You got the prequel movies, an animated flick, two animated series, video games, all kinds of comics, bunch of books..Am I missing anything? Too much. All audiovisual Star Wars stuff excepting video games the last 10+ years has been Clone Wars Clone Wars Clone Wars.

Yeah, I could definitely dig a show set in the OT. It would be very refreshing, and maybe not mess up a whole bunch of continuity stuff.

7. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I say a new cartoon series is more likely than not. However, would prefer they keep the focus on the movies in the ST.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, I could see them making an ST series. Wonder if Lucas would be involved..

9. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Assuming the ST is 30-40 years post Jedi, it would make similar sense as the Clone Wars show to cover that time.

Could be fun to have a SW cartoon with the OT characters.

10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I wouldn't be averse to an X-Wing series...

Rogue Squadron or a brand new one - either would do, though knowing LFA's standard practices, it would probably be the former. I can foresee such a series elaborating how the Rebel Alliance wins the rest of the Galaxy post-Endor, ultimately conquering Coruscant and rebuilding the Republic.

11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Whereas I would once dream about this sort of thing, I am now bitterly aware that if they decided to make an X-wing show, it'd completely invalidate the novels and comics.

So, no thanks.

Nubbs, QuangoFett and JackG like this.
  12. Darth slaughter

Feb 22, 2013
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll be bringing us a post ROTJ cartoon soon with a young luke, han, leia and co. mopping up the empire.... I'm sure there were many more battles after endor!
    They'll probably keep the 20 year period between ROTS and ANH for spin off movies I imagine without the need for Luke and co to be in them

13. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I would personally prefer them not to limit themselves to just the one squadron that featured most prominently in the films. Creating a new squadron with a new cast of characters to follow from Endor to the end of the conflict would be beneficial from the perspective of broadening the story's scope.

14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    If they could do so without completely wrecking post-ROTJ material, I'd love it.

But I doubt they could, so somewhere in the Old Republic era or post-45 ABY (presumably to tie-in with the ST in some way?) might be better.

As you can tell, I'm definitely cynical, but if LucasFilm/Disney made a series set deeply in EU territory and was fairly faithful (I don't expect them to be 100% faithful, most stories in large franchises ignore less important aspects to be able to have more breathing room), then I'd be the first person to jump on board, and buy a ton of related crap.

Oh, and I'd squee on the forums. :p

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    A post ROTJ - pre Ep. 7 series could be an adaptation of a whole lot of EU stories but just adapt them in a much more ST friendly manner. So if Han and Leia have a kid named Barry in the ST, then they adapt the Thrawn trilogy but instead of Leia giving birth to twins, she gives birth to Barry.

16. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    If they absolutely have to create an animated series that covers another era, they have my blessings ... as long as the Jedi-to-Trooper-to-Civilian-protagonist ratio is slanted in favor of the troops ^^.

17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If they do a show set in any era, I don't really care for it to re-tread what the EU has done. If for no other reason than because the Star Wars galaxy can pretty much expand infinitely into the past or future in relation to the film saga, so they don't need to keep cramming stuff into the same two decade time frame. Rather than playing it safe with the continuing adventures of Han, Luke, Leia, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, etc. I'd hope they have the balls to do something completely new. Leave the Skywalker saga for the films.

The idea of a show prior 1,000+ years prior to TPM and exploring a previous Jedi vs. Sith conflict has its appeal for me. As does going back even further to before the Republic itself. I know little about what the EU has done there, aside from the Rakatan Empire and the datacrons allude to some other demi-god society that existed before them. But if there were some gap possibly in the immediate wake of the Rakata and exploring how various powers in the galaxy filled the vacuum, created alliances, fought wars, and how the Republic got its footing and expanded, that would also be of interest to me. I like the more complicated histories of places like Japan in the mid to late 1500s, or China and Korea, where Empires were constantly fractured and then rebuilt from many different warring constituents. Not just a simple Side A vs. Side B conflict like WWII.

We don't know anything yet regarding Episode VII's plot. I've braced myself for pretty severe continuity issues, and especially if they re-write huge swaths of history, I would hope for an Episode VII prelude miniseries or animated shorts like Animatrix or the Genndy microseries to fill in the gaps of what Luke, the New Republic, etc. have been doing since the Empire's defeat at Endor.

Go far enough into the future past ROTJ and they can do whatever they want.

A Dark Times show with an all new cast is really the only premise for a show occupying the PT-OT era that we've been in forever that I feel like I could get behind 100%

Otherwise I think there is a lot of potential to go into the past or future with all new stories and completely new casts, but the written EU seems to be the only ones ballsy enough to do that. The Underworld show sounded appealing to me in its premise, because even though it takes place in the Imperial Era, it still would focus on completely new characters in a completely new strata of society, whereas the prequels pretty much focused on characters involved in the high class society, involved with the politics of the Republic.

Mzukiller likes this.
  18. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I could see a cartoon set between the OT and ST for sure.

KOTOR might be fun but they probably want to use more recognizable characters to the general audience.

General Immodet likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really really really hope this post-OT / pre-ST series is where the TCW creative crew is gearing up for.

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come.

TreborSabreon and credar like this.
  20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I agree that would be nice.

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't want a post-ROTJ tv series.

22. anakin-the-chosen-one

anakin-the-chosen-one Jedi Master

Feb 17, 2013
    I don't see them doing a Post-ROTJ series until after Episode VII is out, continuity and all that. I hope it's in between Episodes III and IV because it's a rather large gap in the saga, but I've a feeling that it will be set way before the prequels, probably in the Old Republic.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm thinking a relationship that this new animated series could have with the post ROTJ EU would be the same way that Walking Dead TV series works in relation to the comics. The grand arc is still there, even some smaller specific beats, but they're both different with characters moved around, etc. That would be awesome, and it could all tie into the ST. Sounds like a win-win to me. *

*- (Cross posting from a different thread, don't hurt me!)

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Actually I was thinking about this; given Disney's track record with doing things on the cheap on TV, and assuming the show is a CG animated show in the same vein as The Clone Wars, I'd bet they are going between Episode III-IV. A large part of your model work is done on characters and you already have access to dozens and dozens of ship design, creatures, alien locations, which all fit into that era with a minimum of work needed from animators.

That way production costs are kept down a bit and there's nowhere near the need for pre production man hours. Not trying to be cynical, but that's Disney's modus operandi.when it comes to TV programming.

Yancy

25. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This!

Screw post ROTJ animated show, people complain about the CW era been overdone but post-ROTJ has been done to death as well. The Dark TImes is a 20 year goldmine that gives writers so much flexibility and versatilely. Honestly, if they pass up to do a show in this era and go with post-ROTJ, I will be pissed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.