main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Internal conflict in Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Condition2SQ, Feb 11, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    IMO:

1.) Palps also had a warm laugh to Anakin in Episode II and III. He seemed really nice and sincere. But in reality he was a cold, ruthless, tactical Sith lord who used people for his own advantage. Palps wasn't actually nice in Ep VI. He was trying to convert Luke to the Dark Side by attempting to be nice. IMO I think it makes him look even more scary and creepy.

2.) His good side was NOT coming through. He was being sarcastic. Trying to tell Luke that he "really really truly cared about what happened to the Alliance." when he really was just trying to piss Luke off and make him realize the immensity of the situation. And try to unnerve Luke as well to make him join the Emperor.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Interestingly sarcasm in RL is often used to mask insecurity. The megalomania also implies a serious inferiority complex.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  3. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    RL?

And yes, the Emperor was only focused on maintaining his power, so of course he would be super insecure if a threat presented itself...

4. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    No, I know what the message was in ROTJ. I just do not believe there was any conflict in Palpatine. Why would there be? His son was not involved. His only motivation was to rule the galaxy and destroy the rebellion (well, that and turn his apprentice's son against him ;)

Palps was never shown as a character who was redeemable. And that's okay. SW was based off of the old serials. There needs to be that ultimate bad guy. The character that's evil for the sake of being evil.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, yes, he had no Luke to turn him around. Or maybe the force has given him a chance at redemption in the past and he wasted it.

As for the bolded part we don't know why he is so enamored with power. There must be some psychological reason but we were never shown which it is.

The conditions to redeem him weren't met in the PT as well the OT. Under different circumstances he might have had a chance to be turned back.
    I actually think that Vader/Anakin was the only person who had a shot at turning him back.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Darth Plagueis we get a bit of Palpatine's early life- but basically he looks like a natural sociopath. Killing people in a speeder crash as a teenager- and having no remorse about it.

7. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I could not agree more, since I am currently listening to the Darth Plagueis audiobook. I have just got to Palpatine's introduction and he sounds like a sociopath in the making. In fact, Lucerno may have even researched sociopaths to help him develop Palps early personality. Essentially, Palpatine is incapable of feeling good for anybody but himself. He has no internal conflict. He knew what he was doing and had the power to do it. Hell, he would have even been dangerous without Force abilities.

8. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Haha,,,,awesome..never saw it this way.

9. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Wow never really thought of it like that. Palps might have been able to get away with the whole New Order thing if he didn't have Force powers...crazy

10. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Yah, until Yoda showed up and shoved his green foot so deep up his ass, that he would have given him a nose bleed.