main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Scholastic Books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    That's what privacy book cover are for - you could be reading Proust in there, and no one would know.

http://www.hiddensecretscovers.com/book-cover-size_trade-size.html

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Fett books started off very well, with some surprisingly dark moments for a young reader title.

I somewhat recently started the Mission books for the GCW thread and, despite the breaks in narrative for the game elements, it has some surprisingly good character moments (the first book has one of the better Han/3PO moments that me laughing pretty hard) but those are offset by some other lines that are just outright bad (stating the obvious type stuff) as well as an overuse of the storm trooper disguise trope.

So, so far, they're not bad but your mileage will vary.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I recall reading one of those Mission books a loooooooooooong time ago. Whichever one had Garindan in one of the starring roles. I think my reaction was somewhere along the lines of "WTF am I reading"?

I'm going to make an effort to track those down someday. I sort of forgot they existed.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They are an odd read at times- it kinda reminds me of that Doom movie's structure: you get narrative on one end and the other but an FPS sequence in the middle (the 1st person segments almost being partially choose-your-own-adventure and partially nested IF statements, as if pseudo-code).

I'm highly tempted to transcribe them into one file one day and just edit out the "game code"/cover it up with a description of one or both of the choices taking place, as a personal reading reference.

Barriss_Coffee and Chewbacca89 like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just ran a book fair at work through Scholastic; they sent me a lot of Star Wars stuff but it was mostly reference material. Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy and a Lego ESB comic were the only story materials I really got.

I need to look this up, but it seems that at least for younger readers, they promote material for about five years and then stop printing it. The Animorphs books are also hard to find lately.

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I just tried to buy Boba Fett series last autumn but #3 was the only one still available. Broken record: There should be short story & young adult book Omnibuses.

Reading Jedi Quests for I don't know how many times for a chronological read-through, and I'm enjoying the political side of the story in #9. Instead of angst there is frustration of dealing with a galaxy-wide 25000-years old system, good dialogue about the role of the Jedi in politics and Sano Sauro is a good villain.

pronker and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've read a couple of the Jedi Apprentice series books and liked them. I also liked the Rebel Force series though I haven't been able to find books 4-6.

pronker likes this.
  8. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    It is a crapshoot trying to find hard copies - I found 2 YJK books in a thrift store, but yeah, that sort of luck is rare.

9. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I think it's just get them before they are gone. I hope Amazon make Kindle editons.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure that's down to the publisher rather than Amazon.

11. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    I enjoyed ja and jq. hated jedi prince. never read yjk and gof.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It is. And Scholastic took forever to get Kindle editions for Harry Potter.

I'd be surprised if Scholastic did Kindle editions for these books, but then again, the Animorphs books, which are also out of print, are available for the Nook so there's that.

13. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Well some of the Boba Fett books are on there. They only have 2 and 5 on for some reason though.

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So I'm over halfway through the Boba Fett books (I had to get a couple of them via interlibrary loan--a sometimes lengthy process).

You can totally turn this series into a drinking game. Every time Boba thinks about how Dooku and Tyranus are the same person (and only Boba knows!)--drink! Every time Jango's words from the black book are called back to--verbatim, at that--drink!

15. Angelnumber25

Angelnumber25 Jedi Knight star 1

May 31, 2009
    I used to run to the bookstore every time a new Jedi Apprentice came out. Jedi Quest was meh, and I actually stopped reading Last of the Jedi after book 3 or so. I actually wish someone would write an adult novel detailing an Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon adventure, I love that era.

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    ruth baulding is rewriting the Jedi Apprentice era. and I can't recommend her series highly enough - taking the two of them to the next level, in literary style:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8075573/1/Lineage

17. Angelnumber25

Angelnumber25 Jedi Knight star 1

May 31, 2009
    I'm pretty addicted to ruth baulding's Lineage series, it's great!

pronker likes this.
  18. Lady Mary

Lady Mary Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2014
    Ruth writes marvelous stories! I'm addicted to her too.

19. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Credit to _Catherine_ for listing all

Jedi Apprentice - read these a LONG time ago. Xanato and Melda/Daan were interesting and still memorable
    Episode I Adventures - pretty corny, but tolerable.
    Jedi Quest - painful. Maybe Anakin just doesn't iterest me.
    Star Wars Adventures - these are DeL Rey I thought...
    Boba Fett - overall enjoyable and good, if not memorable.
    TCW Secret Missions - VERY good stand alone stories.
    The Last of the Jedi - interesting, but definitely overshadowed by the similar and FAR superior Coruscant Nights
    Adventures in Hyperspace - it got cancelled after two books for a reason. BAAAADDDD
    Journal - varriable quality.
    Star Wars Missions - managed to pick up the first 8 when they first came out. Pretty decent for CYOAs actually, introduced some interesting things into canon.(Still trying to find the other 12)
    Rebel Force - completely unnecessary retread of existing OT period. Not as bad as Star Wood though as it mostly avoids continuity traps.
    Science Adventures - so sad this only lasted two books. Actually pretty good for young kids. Interestingly, it serves as an excellent explanation of what the droids were doing while the rest of the OT crew was busy in Allegiance.
    Galaxy of Fear - BEST SERIES EVER!!! Bonus points for Thrawn in a children's book.
    Jedi Prince - I love this series. Take it as you will.
    Biography - good for tying up some loose ends fro minor material that was never touched on again. There's one scene in the Luke Skywalker one that specifically ties up a loose end from Devilworlds that was hanging for 30 years very brilliantly.
    JJK - the reason we all love Anakin and Tahiri

20. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I remember seriously tearing up when reading the final book of Last of the Jedi. It had a really sad ending for a childrens series, I think the majority of the main characters either died, or didn't remember each other afterwords. Solid ending to the mini-verse built by Jude Watson. Jedi Quest being the weakest link of the three series, mostly because Anakin is insanely annoying in it, but I loved (and admittedly I haven't read any of these in a long time) Jedi Apprentice and Last of the Jedi.

21. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Between 1999-2005 I read a lot of these because the kids in my family were the perfect age for them. I worked in bookstores so they were easy to get hold of and I always knew when a new one was out. They could be dull in places but in my opinion this is the best format for SW fiction in terms of length and getting right into the story with plenty of action. I enjoyed what I read of the JA, Boba Fett and Last Jedi series. They also did very good novelizations of the movies, as good as the adult versions in their own way.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.