main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT OT in 3D, Disney will upgrade the Special Effects?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by welles76, Jan 28, 2013.

1. welles76

welles76 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2005
    I would like to know, if you thinked Disney will upgrade the special effects of the OT in 3D, to match much more with the ST.

i know the Upgrade angle was Lucas thing... but Disney?

2. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    We simply don't know what Lucasfilm/Disney intend to do in that regard. It may yet be on the table. In my opinion it's already something big to have the OT in 3D. I am not necesserely against upgrading the special effects but since it would be my first time seeing the OT in a theater, I should want to see the films unaltered.

Edit: Lucasfilm cancelled the 3D release of AOTC and ROTS. I would not ruled out the OT to be released one day but probably in a long time from now.

3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Even more changes to the OT? Let's hope not.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  4. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    No more changes are needed. The effects still hold up. I'll take the OT over the flashy, overdone, fake looking PT any day :)

5. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I'd rather see most of the "upgrades" reverted as they stick out and the CG is poor. I have the extended Landspeeder entry into Mos Eisley in mind. They've already revised that scene twice and they're both terrible and off-model.

Also I think the Jabba scene in ANH is terrible, Jabba is completely too small, off model, and goofy looking, and the scene is just awkward. Lose it and leave it as a bonus scene in the extras.

I am all for the matte line cleanups, etc.

One thing that has always baffled me is the way some obvious errors remain through all the tweaks (such as the plans for the Death Star being wrong, or Vader's Tie Fighter being used on the rebels' tactical displays when it is COMPLETELY UNIQUE IN THE GALAXY and he hasn't even launched yet). The arbitrary changes -- like Luke screaming when he jumps off the tower and then removing it again the next time -- while not fixing these glaring problems, convinced me Lucas was just screwing with us.

DARTHSHAME and vinsanity like this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I am OK with most of the changes made as of the 2004 DVD release; that is to say, the SE minus some of the dumb things they never should have added when they released the SE in '97, such as the aforementioned Luke screaming when he fell on Bespin. That was not a small change when they added it in '97, because it seemed to change Luke's personality by making the fall an accident. Luckily they reversed that thinking and removed the scream on the 2004 DVDs.

Other than that, I agree that cleaning up matte lines and fixing colors should be the top priority. The Blu-Rays took the pointless changes category a step further with things like blinking ewoks, more rocks in front of R2, and a larger door at Jabba's palace.

vinsanity likes this.
  7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't know, Disney doesn't really have a track record for that sort of thing.

If changes are made to any future releases, I think they would be cosmetic only, such as cleaning up the picture and sound.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    When is Disney releasing the original unedited Fantasia and Song of the South?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Bushy162

Bushy162 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2011
    ILM is superior to Disney in terms of realism. However there will be things Disney will do better like the complexity of the animations. Combined, they will make a jolly good team.

10. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well assuming that they there's 3 years between each release then 7 will be in 2015, 8 will be in 2018 and 9 will be in 2021. Then there's the spin-offs that will probably take up much of the 2020's. Then they've gotta to do 2 and 3 in 3d which were recently cancelled so by my logic I'd say a 3d OT is due in the mid 2030s.

11. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    If they do intend to at some point to re-release the OT in 3D (or AOTC or ROTS), it's not necessary to do it on a yearly basis. Star Wars SE was released in January and pulled a very impressive near $140 million domestic total. (It also blew out the January opening weekend record by more than double, and held the best opening January weekend record for over a decade). ESB SE was released about a month latter, (awesome enough, SW SE was Number 2 that wknd) and pulled in about $70, with ROTJ SE some weeks later and ending with some $45 million. The weekend of ROTJ saw all SW movies in the Top 10 box office in the weekend, pretty cool, hm?

The Special Edition release worked quite well, and for being releases of older films, pulled in a pretty nice sum. Obviously, this reignited SW craze in the general public. The EU was picking up steam, toys and merchandise were all over the place, and the promise of new SW films were on the horizon. Will Disney release the films again? Hard to say, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did do a similar release pattern as was done with the SE, and I also wouldn't be surprised if they just ditched the 3D conversions for the OT.

Something to also keep in mind is the foreign box office. The landscape is totally different now than it was back in 1997. A good majority of films (usually blockbusters, action/adventure/fantasy/animated films/etc) earn most of their revenue from overseas markets. Releasing in the OT around the globe again could bring in a nice sum of cash, while also serving as a lead in to the ST.

We shall see. Oh, and to answer the actual question of the thread (lol), no, I don't think we'll see any visual upgrades, apart from restoration and clean-up work. I think with Lucas out of the picture, additions to the PT and OT are no more.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No more changes please.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    The more edits to the effects, the better!

darth_mccartney likes this.
  14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    BRILLIANT! I'm using this as my signature - if you don't mind?

15. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    The thread title is wrong, only ILM itself can upgrade ILM effects.

16. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Well, you may be waiting a long time for Song of the South, given the political correctness of today. Many found the movie offensive to African-Americans. Disney will likely stay away it. I hear it is available in parts of Europe though.

17. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    to come out just prior to the reboot? :p

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, the 3D releases were canceled so no special effects :p

19. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Hope so. Get rid of all the stop motion animation!

20. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Hopefully yes. I like how Vader's suit looked shiny in ROTS, compared to the raw, worn out looking appearance of Vader's suit in the OT. In the OT, it looks nowhere near as shiny and refined as it did in ROTS. I hope that in the future OT special editions, they upgrade the graphics to make Vader's suit match they way it looked during ROTS.

21. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Leave the damned movies alone. Do you want to colorize and eliminate stop motion from 1933's King Kong too?

Ray Harryhausen and Phil Tippet's memories spit in your general direction. Oh and replace puppet Yoda with digital Yoda in the OT while you're at it.

22. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
    I honestly wouldn't mind that. If Lucas ever wanted to do it, I say go for it!

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm dreaming of the day they do that!

24. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Sounds like you'd probably prefer a wholesale reboot then.

25. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
    Oh gawd no, just update the special effects (replace stop motion animation and puppet yoda etc with CGI)