main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Arrian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So the reason for their doing so is "because they can," and since they are gods, we're supposed to not complain or even ask for an explanation.

Got it.

Thank you for confirming that there actually is no explanation though.

Zeta1127, Mia Mesharad and 07jonesj like this.
  2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    They need to do way instain Lucas> who kill thier EU. becuse these auhtor cant frigth back?

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Wow. Okay...

So because they're going to be making money from the films, they should ignore all other avenues of making money? Never go into business.

Do you know what's more profitable than a good film? A good film, 10 novels, 150 comics, 3 action figure lines and a plushie.

4. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Think of it this way. If you created a series and had your ideas for it and then someone else came in and started writing things for that same series that you did not imagine yourself wouldn't you want to change it to the right story.....the story that you the creator envisioned. George Lucas and Lucasfilm is only doing what they have the right to do. Tell the story that they envisioned.

5. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Then why did LucasFilm give these authors permission to publish?

It's not as if George himself wasn't aware of it - they asked him permission to kill a main character in The New Jedi Order series and George agreed.

6. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    And they can still create novels and comics if they want to. But at the same time know that it is not the official story until the official people say so.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Something something Lucas' sandbox

I forget how that retort goes

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I guarantee you there'd be much less sales.

9. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    As far as I know that is the only permission they had to get from George. Killing main characters. Anything else were only their ideas.

10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Well so be it. The franchise will still be a money making machine regardless. Disney will probably plan on putting out their own television shows which will be official cannon also.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Much less sales"

"So be it."

OK. As jones said, never go into business.

And in answer to your question, if I had a series, had my ideas for it, and someone else came in, started writing stories for my series and those stories were not stories that I approved or wanted...

I would sue the "someone else" for plagiarism and copyright violation.

What I would not do, would be to give permission and then retcon it later after I had made money off my universe's trademark.

If the EU stories were not approved by Lucasfilm Ltd., they would have never been published. Anyone who remembers the prequel forum days will know that Lucasfilm does not **** around with copyright law or the definition of "officially released material." I watched several smaller sites get smacked around for leaked images from the paid Hyperspace site, among other things, and I think it happened on TF.N several times as well. We even had a verb for it--we called it "getting LFL'ed".

12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Anakinfan hasn't it been known for a long time that Lucas was going to go back and tell the prequel trilogy era. It has probably been twenty years or more that Lucas planned on coming back and finishing the story he wanted to tell up to Ep. VI. So anything told up to that point was fair game to being changed by him. If the fans knew it the authors most definitely knew it. What Lucas gave more freedom to was the post ROTJ time period. Up to this point Lucas hasn't changed any of the story after ROTJ (though that will probably change very soon after the sequals are released. So technically Lucas hasn't done anything yet that he said he wouldn't do. He has always said that he was going to go back and finish the prequel time period and tell the story of the clone wars. And he has done that now. And he allowed the EU authors more freedom after ROTJ.

13. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    The canon conflict debate is always a fun one. Personally, I dislike a lot of the decisions and alterations to extant material from George because I think they're bad ideas. On the other hand, I think some cool ideas have been born as a result. I also agree that this is George's universe and he has the right to do whatever he wants to it; but I also believe that just because one possesses a right does not mean one should exercise it. I also sympathize with the irritation that ensues when one purchases a Star Wars product under the impression it is a legitimate part of the story, only to find out later that it's been disregarded by fiat. The chasm between the films and the EU never ceases to amuse and amaze me; sometimes I wonder what Leland Chee does all day. It seems like people from both sides only ever go to the man after the contradiction occurs rather than before so as to ensure it never occurs to begin with.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What the hell are you talking about? We're not even discussing the prequel trilogy here, and there are very few EU stories between TPM and AOTC.

The Clone Wars multimedia project was approved by Lucasfilm. End of sentence.

Zeta1127 and GGrievous like this.
  15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well... technically he said there was going to be 12 films, I mean 9 films, I mean 6 films, oh wait no, I really meant 9 films, plus spin-offs.

Lucas isn't exactly consistent, and I don't believe for a second he's had this all planned from the beginning. Hell, I don't believe the majority of Empire was planned from the beginning.

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    And with TCW gone, guess what's still there prior to ROTS. ;)

Long live LOE, ect. (minus the obvious continuity glitches)

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Then exactly what are you complaining about. You are complaining about TCW and how it disregards everything EU and TCW takes place during the prequels. So exactly what are you griping about then and what books/comics has TCW not respected.

18. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Nope even if they don't release the rest of TCW on a network they will still very likely release it to the fans in some form to watch so the story can be concluded.

19. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Literally, the way they restricted themselves with TCW you can remove all traces of it from the rest of the saga and nothing changes.

20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think Lucas was drunk when he approved the EU.

The way he explained it was that when the idea for an EU was pitched to him by Howard Roffman that it was to be like Star Trek, that there would be a universe for the novels, comics, games, and whatever other stories, but that it would have no bearing on the stories that Lucas wanted to tell on screen (i.e. films).

But Lucas also says that he's a very hands off guy and pretty much allows them to do their own thing. So Howard Roffman I assume is the one that realized that expending all of the energy and money to maintain continuity was worth it, and that it would prove profitable and enhance sales. So, Howard's pretty much being a good businessman. Things like the Holocron don't exists for tickles and grins. LucasFilm is a business, and somewhere down the line it had to be decided that this is what the fans wanted - greater continuity - and that hiring someone like Leland Chee was going to be profitable.

But then Lucas pretty much just does his own thing and doesn't care if things get retconned. And while Lucas deserves all the credit for the creation of the SW universe, I wouldn't exactly say that he's the greatest businessman. For instance, how stupid is it that he never responded to the demand that existed for original cuts of the OT? There's money to be made there, but I assume he refuses so that he can pretend that standing behind the Special Editions is artistic integrity or something like that.

And film licensing is a big source of money: All of the toys, games, comics and novels. Going through and undermining what Roffman built isn't smart.

Now, can there be retcons? Sure. If there was a SW novel that absolutely bombed and had low sales and Lucas Licensing or Lucas Animation just decided to ignore it going forward, fine. That might even be good business to not let continuity get bogged down by what had proven to not work and be unpopular. But it's another thing to just consciously ruin something that had been in place for a long time and had worked, and it's especially bitter when they replace such things with something awful. Like the semi-retcon that Grievous chose to become a cyborg and that he wanted to be a Jedi [face_plain]

Or with Barriss... how they justify her character assassination by saying that they needed someone the audience cared about to give weight to the story. ...She was like in two episodes prior to the arc. Chances are that the people that cared the most about Barriss were her EU fans, who are more likely to be angered by that turn of events. And the Ahsoka arc had 4 episodes to introduce an OC, make them more important to the events of the arc and achieve the same end result without throwing the EU stories under the bus needlessly to further Ahsoka's story.

21. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I love your optimism. And with respect, allow me to shoot it down once more:

If Disney does indeed pull the plug on the show, surely LFL won't go around that decision and release more. ;)

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW takes place between the prequels.

And do I really need to repeat what I and others have complained about?

Let me try this slowly:

Lucas.
    Approved.
    EU.
    Projects.
    Which.
    Were.
    Published.
    Which.
    People.
    Bought.
    Then.
    He.
    Decided.
    "Oops!"
    "Changed.
    My.
    Mind!"
    And.
    It's.
    Bad.
    Business.
    And.
    Disrespectful.
    To.
    His.
    Customers.

Zeta1127, K'Kruhk, JackG and 5 others like this.
  23. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I guess you would be hoping that the rest of the episodes already created would never be released.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lucas in a nutshell.
    [​IMG]

The Shadow Emperor and GGrievous like this.
  25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    His PT/TCW counterpart, sadly.