main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Arrian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sometimes RLM really hits the nail the head when it comes to SW.

2. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Allow me to shoot you down. It's called releasing it straight to dvd.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    And who's going to pay for it + marketing? ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    So again let me ask what EU has TCW disregarded that makes you so upset.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Yeah why not, it'd be pretty funny to watch this place explode from all the butthurt.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, dude. That's been repeated in the thread.

I'll just tell you what I tell my children: you need to listen the first time.

7. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    See, at this point, continuity is compromised enough that I'd be totally fine with Disney sweeping all of it under the rug and starting over. How's that for terrifyingly radical?

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I can still see that happening.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd laugh sooooooo hard if Disney ended up contradicting TCW. Then maybe Filoni would go "My god! Is this how all those EU people felt!?"

Zeta1127, K'Kruhk, JackG and 4 others like this.
  10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Cancelled shows get remaining episodes released to the public all the time in dvd form.

11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, karma is a *****.

Zeta1127 and GGrievous like this.
  13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Since they haven't produced the ending yet, it'd still be an unfinished series. :p

14. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I'd support it. A cleansing fire to purge continuity, then a new EU can be established beneath a new leader. A strong leader. One who will not let this tragedy continue.

/Palpatine

15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    While that sounds good in theory, if they're willing to reboot everything (or almost everything) completely then it's likely they'd do it again at some point in the future once there's enough material again.

16. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Alternate universes? I can see the merits to that approach. There would inevitably be drawbacks, but it may be close to being inevitable, given what is known about the Sequels.

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm sure Disney would leave the OT alone (I doubt they would touch the originals, unless they're brave enough) and reboot everything else. If not, then all six films will be left untouched due to the new ST coming out imo.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  18. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    And don't you know they are still producing the show at this very moment.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    If Disney tells them to stop, they would still be producing the show? And with what money, might I ask? ;)

20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I could see Kathleen sweeping the continuity of TCW under the rug, but if they do, I figure all continuity "levels" beneath TCW like C and S canon would equally be disregarded. The film makers would benefit in that they can make the sequel trilogy and an indefinite amount of future films without having to worry about the ball of wax of ironing out continuity. TCW readily steamrolls that of the PT and OT eras, and I figure - unless Abrams, Lucas, and Kathleen surprise me by being uncannily respectful of the EU - that future films like the sequel trilogy will do an equal amount of steamrolling, if not more so, to the post-ROTJ EU.

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Unless it was cancelled a couple of minutes ago and now they've stopped. ;)

22. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    They should, for all their manifold strengths & weaknesses, leave the extant films alone for the immediate future. But I'm willing to send the EU and even TCW to the crematorium myself if we would get a better product. I've made my stance on it clear: I'm pretty much disinterested in any other era beyond the films because the trite, repetitive stories. The transformation of the Republic into an Empire is infinitely more interesting than a legion of darkrobes banging their red sticks against the blue and green sticks of brownrobe armies for the millionth time. Hopefully this is not the end of exploration into this era.

Alternate universe, Infinities universe, I don't care. There are some great stories to be found in the EU, but most of it is crap anyway. This franchise, from top to bottom, embodies the Anakin Skywalker tragedy: great potential, flawed execution. Let's start over with a cohesive vision and competent writers.

23. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    From all the interviews up to the end of the season the show is still being produced.

24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've not read Star Wars #1 or #2. Is that new series respecting canon? I just remember IGN doing a preview for it and making claims about how it was going to be accessible to people that had just been fans of the films and not be bogged down by continuity, and then there being some people that hated the notion of Leia being an X-Wing pilot, which to my knowledge is a new concept, isn't it?

I just got the feeling that they were implying that the new series was pretty much a test bed for a reboot (EDIT: Or the SW EU equivalent of Marvel's "Ultimate" continuity). Though since I've not read it, I don't know if there are nods to any other continuity outside of the films, or if it's still too soon to tell.

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    So far the new SW comic is very self-contained. It's just telling another story in the SW universe. TCW could have easily been as self-contained as that, but that's not what happened.