main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Arrian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Seeing Star Wars #1 just makes me think of Marvel and confuses me. [face_frustrated]

2. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    The only problem i have with the series is that period in time right after yavin is so dense in terms of things going on its staring to get a little silly.

3. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Can it beat the period in time between TESB and ROTJ for density of content?

4. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    Hey to be fair half a year passed between those movies and other than SOTE I'm pretty sure there were only a bunch of Marvel comics in that time.

5. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The reason why the ANH-TESB gap is so fruitful is because it's an era with a lot of potential. Luke has just joined the Rebellion, having lost his aunt and uncle and learned the truth of his origins. He is becoming a hero of the rebels fresh off of destroying the Death Star. Leia is overcoming the loss of Alderaan and leading the Rebellion. Han, for whatever contrived reason, is still sticking around. Vader discovers that his offspring did survive and gets ideas about overthrowing the Emperor. The rebels continue to fight a low-intensity guerilla war against the Empire, complete with exploration of the reasons for the conflict.

It's no wonder that writers - both the fan and contracted official ones - are so interested in this era. It's immensely marketable. Quite honestly, I'd do the same if I were in their position.

jaoblias and 07jonesj like this.
  6. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Have you actually read the EU before you make a blanket statement that it isn't very good? I find that a lot of people who are against the EU are specifically against the written material. I've yet to see someone declare KOTOR 1 or 2 non canon. Probably because they actually experienced it. Who cares about books these days?

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  7. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010

I hate young people.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've only read some of the books and a couple of the comics and I still think a lot of the EU is great.

9. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I was being rhetorical. I love the EU, and I love books. But a lot of the time when I see these "EU Doesn't matter" debates, they are always targeting books specifically.

Zeta1127, Mia Mesharad and 07jonesj like this.
  10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Ah, my inability to detect that over the internet when I'm tired. My apologies. [face_peace]

I'd agree, however.

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    We should both go to bed.

I'll get the lube, you light the candles.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Off topic, but...I throw books at kids for a living.

Not literally. Shut up.

I encourage them to read and don't set limits on what they read. Back in my day (*hobbles away on walker, takes a shot of Metamucil*) comics were considered subpar. Now? Fuggitaboutit. Comics are awesome. I order comics for the library, a new set every month. I've got about 10 sets of Star Wars comics alone. I've got historical events in comic form and comic book style tours of the human body. (Not those parts. Shut up, again. Yeah, you with the dirty mind.)

Read comics if that's what you like. Just read, dammit.

Zeta1127 and 07jonesj like this.
  13. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't want to put matches near lube. Could be... unfortunate.

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Ehhh.... I think comics are a different ball of wax than novels. Because one of the cliche selling points of novels is the use of imagination, or like if someone's comparing a film to it's novel counterpart, they might complain that a character in the film is in no way like they pictured him/her in their mind. Comics are visual and really take about as much imagination out of it as a film does, aside from the fact that the images don't move, so you have to fill in those gaps I suppose.

Comics historically were cheap, disposable entertainment. Today, not so much. Not cheap at all especially if you're looking at something like an issue of the Marvel NOW relaunch that includes mandatory purchase of a code for a digital copy of the comic for a total of about $4 for 20 pages of entertainment, but they still offer rapidly released entertainment in monthly or bi-monthly releases and some series have gone on for decades.

But yeah, I still think it's a whole different beast from novels. Novels seems to carry the connotation of a more sophisticated form of entertainment than something like television or film. I don't think comics do.

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Fine, I'll go in dry if it worries you so much.

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010

17. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    i think this would be worse for you then him, Cylons are know for "rusty tailpipes" if you know what i'm saying.

07jonesj likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Come on, guys, unless you live in a closet, this isn't difficult.

Keep the lube several feet from the candles.

07jonesj likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That's racist.

I think the problem here is that I'm trying to stay in the closet, but Fanboy destroyed it. ;)

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Dude, I keep telling him it's fine, they're all on high shelves well out of the way of the bed but he's so paranoid about it.

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    And I keep telling YOU we need a new bed. This one shakes way too much, those candles are gonna fall.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I understand. I have always been one who is too paranoid to find candles romantic. :p

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  23. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    THE FORCE.NET
    AFTER DARK

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Relevant

07jonesj likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's way more fun that way.

07jonesj likes this.