main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Arrian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    "Welcome to the Force.Net after dark, I'm Even Piell and this is my one good eye."

07jonesj likes this.
  2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    To be fair, this is true. It happened with the prequels, it's happened with TCW. It's even happened with EU all of the time. OTOH, whenever it's happened in the age of the web, we haven't exactly been quiet about it. People argued about the contradictions between Genndy's CW Volume II and Labyrinth of Evil. I'm sure some of us probably thought things would never get more heated than Traviss' time. Then TCW came around and showed that was nothing.

No, they've had to get permission for various story decisions for years. Timothy Zahn originally wanted to make the Noghri the Sith to explain Vader's "Dark Lord of the Sith" title. A.C. Crispin wanted to write a Leia trilogy in the same vein as her Han trilogy, but I believe was turned down because I feel like they wanted to keep her younger years off limits for some reason. Maybe later development. So yes, Lucas and the brass have had input on the EU from time to time, including limits on what they could do. Even Anakin Solo couldn't be the hero of NJO because apparently readers are too dumb to separate him from his namesake grandfather.
    He did it with the movies themselves, too. It might be bad business with something that isn't a phenomenon like Star Wars, but we just keep going back. Over and over.
    If they do reboot, I can't see them touching the films, including the PT. Though I wonder what this site's reaction would be if they did reboot the EU, but only everything C and below.

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No we didn't

4. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Well, this thread took a turn for the bizarre. Anyway...

Though I don't often hear petitions calling for the preservation of Rebel Assault.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    No, you don't, but that's kind of the point. Nothing will be 100% good. There have been plenty of bad EU novels and games, and there have been plenty of bad episodes of TCW. To use a blanket statement saying that all EU sucks would be just as ignorant as saying all TCW is good. The thing is, more people have seen TCW than have read EU novels or games. But those who have experienced games know that they can tell good stories, such as my KOTOR example. I just doubt they've had the same exposure to the novels when they argue against book legitimacy.

It's like if someone's only experience of the EU was http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/]Cracked's[/url] article on why sequels would be worse than prequels. Cherry picking a bunch of concepts designed to bait and inflame potential customers paints the whole EU in a bad light. I'm sure you could drive away potential customers for TCW by showing them Corruption, Shadow Warrior and Bombad Jedi back to back as well.

They use specific examples to portray the entire medium in a negative light. When you could show them what both are capable of. Show them Landing at Point Rain, make them read Plagueis or The Unifying Force. Show them what can be done with the material before writing it off completely.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I started reading the EU before the PT necessitated the 'canon levels', so no, I didn't always know that the books I were reading could be overriden by a so-called "higher cannon". Back then it was all one canon.

7. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    In that case, you knew it by 1999. Or at least 2002.

8. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Yes...

9. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I first read the EU back in 1996 when I was six years old and I knew enough to know that George Lucas didn't write it and therefore it wasn't his story, so I wasn't too upset to know that my favorite books were made obsolete by one thing or another (though Dark Empire is so easy to keep in my personal canon despite ROTS supposedly contradicting it).

What a long sentence that was.

10. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I'm confused...JackG, according to your profile, you're 18 right now - which would mean you were born in '94 or '95. TPM came out in '99. So you're saying that you started reading the EU before that - meaning you started reading the EU at some point before you were 4 or 5 years old. Were these comic books that you were referring to or novels? b/c if they were novels, thats pretty impressive that you were reading Star Wars EU novels at the age of 4/5...

11. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    i read the star wars adventures books when i was young. escape from thyferra ftw.

Esg likes this.
  12. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I first read Champions of the Force at age 6 (the levels of canon came out in 2000 and I was born in 1994). I was definitely an accelerated reader given my mum was a librarian and encouraged me greatly. It says a lot about KJA that his prose could be tackled by a six-year old. :p

13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I read The Hobbit when I was 5-6. Been a bookworm ever since.

14. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Yea, I guess I don't really know when I started reading novels...when I was a kid, I hated reading so its always crazy to hear about 5 and 6 yr. olds reading novels...I do know that I finally got into reading through the EU - I just don't remember how old I was.

Impressive. Most Impressive.

15. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    My reading has started to wane since I turned 16, I'm afraid to say. I've just lost the motivation. I'm sure I'll regain the passion to consume books overnight as soon as The Winds of Winter is released, though.

MistrX likes this.
  16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Make sure you re-read the first 5 books. ;)

Though Martin has said he plans to have TWoW out quicker than ADwD, which means it's probably going to be another 8 years. :(

17. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I just finished SoS for the third time in anticipation of Season 3 (ASoIaF doesn't count when I say I've lost reading desire; the books are paper crack). So excited for so many things coming this season!

07jonesj likes this.
  18. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    i want to see some decapitated kings with other animal's heads sewn on please.

07jonesj and JackG like this.
  19. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    50 Unfounded Reasons Why Adi Gallia Died

Take your pick:

Adi Gallia died because…
    1. They wanted to do a Wilhelm scream.
    2. Leland Chee lost in a poker game with George, so George got to kill off another character.
    3. The voice actress, Angelique Perrin, wore a red shirt to the studio, and per TCW custom, her character had to die.
    4. She had the fewest dialog lines in the episode.
    5. Angelique told Clancy Brown ‘there can be two.’ The Kurgon promptly informed Dave ‘there can be only one!’
    6. George was confused by there being two Gallia’s, so one had to go.
    7. Chewbacca was not available.
    8. Opress thought she was a pinata full of tiny toy Jawas.
    9. Like Even Piell, she was born on the planet Cat where everyone has nine lives. She and Even Piell will get to die 8 more times.
    10. The ten episode story arc of The Tragedy of Adi the Wise was considered ‘too ambitious’ and costly. The novelization will still be covered by Paul S. Kemp.
    11. The guys at Dark Horse Comics made faces at Dave when he walked by their booth at Star Wars Celebration VI.
    12. George took Dave’s hat one too many times.
    13. It’s part of a gag with Star Wars: Detours. Like Kenny, Adi will die hilariously in each episode.
    14. Dave remarked to the special effects team that he would like to see what Adi’s Force ghost would look like. They took his direction a bit too far.
    15. A fan asked George about Adi, and he replied “Who?” It then became instant canon that she couldn’t exist.
    16. Karen Traviss once proposed a story idea to make Adi a Mandalorian.
    17. She has a Croke hidden in her left foot. The Croke will become a major villain later in the season.
    18. Troy Denning wrote this episode under a pseudonym and with the condition that he would get to kill at least one character.
    19. The writers though her name was Adi Galla, and thus completely unconnected with Adi Gallia.
    20. Leland was out sick that week.
    21. George double dared Dave to intentionally go against canon, “It’s so refreshing. You have to try it.”
    22. George has “UNLIMITED POWAH!”
    23. Obi-Wan will reveal in a later episode that he and Adi had a love affair. This will be a major plot point in the live action TV show while he’s stuck on Tatooine.
    24. Her name was too hard to pronounce.
    25. Her action figure sales were doing poorly.
    26. As part of a promotional line of new Her Universe clothing, ‘Adi Gallia, Always Remember.’
    27. Jedi are too cheap to bring medical droids along with them on missions.
    28. All the Jedi medics were unavailable as they are still trying to put Even Piell back together again.
    29. During a very important phone call pertaining to her fate, someone heard ‘Nah’ and thought they said ‘Yeah.’
    30. She lost the will to live.
    31. Angelique Perrin asked for a raise.
    32. So a clan of Dathomiri witches can bring her back to life as a super powered Nightsister.
    33. It gave Hondo Ohnaka a great line, “I’m semi-speechless.”
    34. The Force switched sides.
    35. There’s a Clone Wars pool on how many characters will die, and Joel Aaron was close to winning.
    36. She asked “Where’s Kitster?”
    37. The “Who will fall” theme requires a character to die in each story arc.
    38. Her starfighter has a Plagueis/Sidious bumper sticker.
    39. There was no room for her in the next Essential Guide to Characters.
    40. Her death would bring balance to the Force.
    41. Like all things, it was written in the Journal of the Whills, the highest of all canon.
    42. Adi short-sheeted Mace’s bed one too many times.
    43. She was voted off the island by the rest of the Jedi council.
    44. It was supposed to be Anakin in that episode but he was out getting his hair styled that day so the Council sent Adi instead.
    45. TCW has an Obsession with killing off Jedi council members.
    46. She didn’t listen to the Jedi fortune cookie, ‘Strength of character can defeat strength in numbers,’ not ‘Strength of characters.’
    47. Opress won the pregame coin toss with heads.
    48. History repeats itself. Last time Obi-Wan tag teamed with a Jedi Master against Maul, the master died.
    49. Obi-Wan made her drive the whole, exhausting 14 hour trip from Coruscant to Cybloc and Cybloc to Florrum.
    50. She played too much Skyrim and thought the whole ‘arrow to the knee’ business would work with a kick.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    #5- Chewbacca was not available. [face_laugh]

That's a great list though.

21. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Might as well repost it here in light of the recent news:
    [​IMG]

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Was their revenge cancelling the show?

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    #9 and 12 are my favorites.

As far as reading, my oldest was reading chapter books before he finished kindergarten; my youngest is currently in kindergarten and capable of reading chapter books but he's more of a games and logic puzzles person. I read the KJA stuff and I can certainly see an elementary age kid reading it, plus the JA books were released in time for kids born in the 90s.

24. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    So this new series set in a different era scares me somewhat...could they screw with canon too? Does it ever end?

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Don't **** with my post-ROTJ novels. That would hit me way harder than anything this show has done.