main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I was looking forward to Zuko showing up all season. And then he didn't :(

I'd love to see more of Admiral Iroh.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm looking forward to seeing a season with Korra being a complete and fully realized Avatar. Some more flashbacks of grown up Aang would be cool too.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Periodically I've been checking Wikipedia to see if there is an update for the next book and it still says "2013-14". If we are going to get an update, when would it be? This July at San Diego's Comic-Con? I hope so.

Until then, should I get/read "The Promise"? I see there are three parts on Amazon. Should I grab those, or wait for one TPB that will contain all three? Thanks!

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think The Promise is pretty good. And there's a TPB out now.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Nah. Seeing Aang in Book One was great, but as cleverly situated within the narrative as he was, for me his presence was as much about about helping with the transition from A:TLA to TLOK as it was anything else. Sure, for new viewers it was a nice bit of storytelling, but for the bulk of the audience (the fans) it was about smoothing the way. Particularly after a few years with no new content. So whilst I think Bryke were wise to include Aang (and Katara and Sokka) in TLOK, they were wiser still to keep him in the background - secondary to Korra's antics. If Aang appears in Book Two, now the 'New Friends' are established, I think it would be counterproductive*. I'm not saying Aang should never appear again - after all the conclusion to Endgame was just magnificent and this is Avatar - but not for a while. Not until Korra has built something of her own legend.

*although I'd probably still geek out if it happened :p

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  6. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    To each his own..
    I don't mind seeing Aang as long as it sticks to the plot.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think it's important that TLOK stands on its own now. And that Korra does, too. Adventures in the Avatarverse will always have one eye on history, but I think TLOK has done it's looking back and now needs to look forward. Just as previous Avatars only had minor involvement in (or influence upon) Aang's adventures, so should Aang in Korra's. She should be the Avatar we look forward to seeing, not Aang. Heck, he basically passed the baton at the end of Book One.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Still, Roku appeared to Aang a lot more than we ever saw Aang appear to Korra (once). It should be done rarely, but Aang should still have a presence.

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    The show does stand on its own, but my point still stands, considering avatars can access their previous lives for insight.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Roku didn't have a (previous, highly successful) show of his own, though. ;)

What I'd love to see is some new past Avatars, from before Yangchen's time.
    And considering that Book 2 is supposed to explore how the Avatar began in the first place, I think we might get just that.

(I wasn't sure whether this was common knowledge, so I hid it under spoiler tag just in case...)

11. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You just blew my mind Mar. You gotta put stuff like that in double spoiler tags at least, just to prepare me.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I think they mentioned it during SDCC 2012, but now I'm not 100% sure... [face_thinking] Let me find a link.

EDIT: Ah, here's the interview. Now reading it again, my interpretation may have been exaggerated, but it seems to be what the interview implies...

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Exactly. Although I wouldn't say no to a 'Roku Special'. :cool:

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    We kind of had a condensed version of that in "The Avatar and the Firelord". :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I was thinking about an adventure that Roku had. Untold... until now. :D I think he's got it in him.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yay! News! And good, interesting news! :D

Let the speculation begin...

If it's a darker power, maybe denying air to a person's lungs, basically an Avatar-version of Force choke?

But I don't think it would be a darker power.

We've already seen Aang shape clouds, and Tenzin create tornadoes, so it can't be one of those...

Hmmm...

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Steam bending? - a mix of fire, water and air bending.
    Fartbending? - speaks for itself

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Cloudshaping and tornadoes aren't really that different from standard Airbending - just stronger. It's like saying that creating a tsunami is a subset of waterbending, when really it's not, it's just a more powerful "standard" waterbending. All subsets of the other three elements are very different to their standard bending (lightning vs. fire, metal vs. earth, healing vs. manipulating water).

A possible subset to Airbending could be manipulation of sound - after all, sound is just waves in the air. Soundbending could involve stopping soundwaves, or creating sonic blasts...

Steam is water, so a regular waterbender can control it (Katara in "The Awakening", Korra in "The Revelation").

Togruta and Summer Dreamer like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ah yes, sound! That makes sense.

And I thought blood-bending was the subset of water-bending? Though I guess blood-bending is basically the same idea as healing, just used for a very different purpose.

There's probably earth-benders who can bone-bend too, and fire-benders can take freeze or boil people [face_sick]

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, I think that, in its essence, bloodbending is the same principle as waterbending - you're manipulating a liquid. Of course, you need to be a very powerful waterbender to do so, because you need to overcome the will of the person you're bloodbending.

Whereas healing is something completely different - a waterbending healer has the ability to cure injuries or sickness, and that has nothing to do with manipulating and moving water.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I thought the difficulty of bloodbending was, first, an inability to see the water in the blood or the blood inside the person and, second, overcoming a deep-rooted taboo in the Avatar universe.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Sound is a good shout.

What about the ability to create a vacuum... thereby starving the subject (if the ability is a nasty one) of air and killing them?

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that one, too - I think that's what Gyatso used to kill all the firebenders near him in that building in "The Southern Air Temple" (possibly also killing himself in the process).

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It would qualify as something that only the most powerful airbenders are capable of. Gyatso falling into that category, I'm sure.