main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Best lighsaber duel in the prequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Jan 12, 2013.

?

Best PT Lightsaber Duel

1. Darth Maul v.s. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon (Episode I)

50.3%
  2. Dooku v.s. Obi-Wan (Episode II)

0.6%
  3. Dooku v.s. Anakin (Episode II)

2.5%
  4. Yoda v.s. Dooku (Episode II)

4.3%
  5. Dooku v.s. Obi-Wan & Anakin Rematch (Episode III)

4.3%
  6. Obi-Wan v.s. Grievous (Episode III)

3.1%
  7. Windu v.s. Palpatine (Episode III)

5.6%
  8. Darth Vader v.s. Obi-Wan (Episode III)

50.3%
  9. Yoda v.s. Darth Sidious (Episode III)

9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi in TPM

Simply the best.

2. starve

starve Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012

Yep. This is the duel we were looking forward to for 20 years. Embarrassing. The Obi-Wan v. Darth Maul duel was great, especially the exchange right when Obi-Wan gets through the ray shield. All of the other duels were pretty terrible. I think this (gif) is the worst, and the one where Anakin inexplicably presents his arm for Dooku to chop is the second worst.

Saintheart and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Best lighsaber duel in the prequel trilogy?

In my opinion, he absolue bes lighsaber duel in he prequel rilogy was he one beween Anakin as Vader and Obi-Wan in RoS. So much emoion, so much swordplay, and heir surroundings really came into play during he figh. All up, good suff.

EDI: Or possibly he one beween Maul, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Because Ray Park.

:p

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    so much swordplay
    ---

well not really :p

5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Duel of the Fates.

If only because of Maul's badass entrance.

Sitara and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. sg1A

sg1A Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    I went back last night on Youtube and watched the lightsaber fights from the OT and the PT.

I found that out of them my top number would be

1. ESB Luke vs Vader (Just Love the few minutes of training he gets by Yoda and can fight Vader saber to saber.)

2. Maul vs Kenobi and Qui-Gon TPM (First time i saw a double bladed opponent vs Two Jedi )

3. Dooku vs Anakin ROTS (Awesome finishing move with the removal of the hands)

4. Anakin/Vader vs Kenobi on Mustafar

5. Jango Fett vs Kenobi on Kamino in AOTC (I know it's not a lightsaber fight but i still like this fight.)

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Obi-Wan vs. Grievous, that duel was amazing! And I'd say it was the best scene out of the whole saga.

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Darth Maul v.s. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon (Episode I)easily

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Watching that duel, without the cuts to Yoda & Palps......MY GOD such emotion! My favorite duel in the Saga is Qui-Gon & Ob-Wan vs Maul cause it's insanely cool, but this one is by far the most emotional! It really hits you when you don't have to keep cutting.

Flavia Serem and Darth Vader like this.
  10. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I think the Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui Gon duel and the Obi-Wan vs Anakin in ROTS.

OMG I love the Yoda vs Palpatine duel too. I wish it went for longer though and I always hope for Yoda to win every time I watch it. Never really understood why Yoda gave up.

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    My biggest problem with some of the PT duels are that there's very little dialogue between the combatants. I understand that they didn't necessarily know each other (Maul/Jinn/Kenobi) but going in to see TPM for the first time I thought we'd get some wicked taunting from Darth Maul.

Dooku is really the only baddie to speak during the duels and while he delivered his lines quite well, the duels themselves weren't all that great. I will say, however, that they did the best they could have done with an 80 year old actor playing the role of Dooku.

EDIT: This really bothered me during Vader vs Kenobi in ROTS. It was a very emotional duel, but a handful of lines with Kenobi imploring his former friend to give up the dark side and come back to the light would have gone a long way.

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Dooku is really the only baddie to speak during the duels and while he delivered his lines quite well, the duels themselves weren't all that great. I will say, however, that they did the best they could have done with an 80 year old actor playing the role of Dooku.

---

you realise Kyle Rowling did most of the fight sequances right?

and I actually liked the Dooku duels, brought much need class to the saga

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think it fits his character to not say anything during the duel.

Sitara and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Obviously maul vs qui gon and obi.... second is anakin vs obiwan then mace & friends vs sidious and yoda vs sidious

15. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002

I knew they used a double for most of it, yes. Also was a reason for the less than satisfactory close ups during his one on one with Anakin at the end of AOTC. Would have been nice to have had an able bodied actor performing his own fight scenes. That having been said, I really enjoyed Christopher Lee as Count Dooku.

On another note, Maul not doing any trash talking does fit with his character once we know who he is and what his function is. I (and everyone else that wasn't spoiled for TPM) thought he would do a little goading during the duels, ala Darth Vader in ESB.

16. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Maul by far. Anakin vs OB1at #2 and Anakin/OB1 Vs Dooku episode 3 at 3'rd.

edit- best acting was OB1 in the duel with Vader. I was 'emotionally connected' to that duel because of Ewan's acting just before they fought and just after.

17. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Have to say I'm a sucker for the Vader vs Kenobi duel in 'ROTS' on Mustafar. It's got a great theme by John Williams to carry it on and has moments of just sheer agression by both participants when their "calm headed" attitude gives way to just trying to stop the other.

And the moment outside on the power cable when their sabers clash, they grab each others arms, the lava pocket behind them erupts and the music swells is THE best moment of that battle.

I give the Maul, Jinn and Kenobi 2-way fight in 'TPM' second due to the scale of it and the first real epic saberbattle seen in the films.

18. JevanShevu

JevanShevu Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2009
    The Duel of the Fates was my favorite. The Battle of the Heroes in Episode III was awesome, but i love Qui-gon and Darth Maul. Also The Phantom Menace is my favorite PT film.

Jarren_Lee-Saber, Sitara and Alexrd like this.
  19. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I voted Darth Vader v.s. Obi-Wan (Episode III). For me, this duel was epic.

20. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I personally enjoy Vader vs. Obi Wan, strictly because of the emotion and the turning point in their relationship in the movies.

However, it lasted a little too long and it is obvious that there was so much put into it to make it the most epic and most stand-out-ey dual of the trilogy, though it's supposed to have importance.

I feel like we really started to see Anakin's downfall in his dual with Dooku in episode 3. We see that he was easily influenced to do what was wrong rather than what was right. I'd have to say that Anakin vs. Dooku in Episode III is my favorite dual.

21. Darth Lixiuus

Darth Lixiuus Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 5, 2013
    maul vs. obi & qui-gon is very cool.

i also love to see yoda walking in slowly with his cane and then when he's fighting he is very fast.

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Anakin, simply because Ray Park really is that awesome. His physicality just leaps off the screen at you.

Dooku, or rather Christopher Lee, comes a close second for verbal duelling, even outdoing the fabulous Ian McDiarmid at some points -- but you expect no less from the guy who's played Saruman, Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, Rasputin, Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft Holmes, Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde, Francisco Scaramanga (i.e. the titular Man with the Golden Gun), Willy Wonka's father ... and the JABBERWOCKY. And that's a small sample of his work. Christopher Lee is one of those people film should be very, very glad they still have acting with his massive range and willingness to step, again and again, into the fantasy and/or horror genres.

And he COMPOSES HEAVY METAL.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  24. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I always liked Mace Vs Sidious:

it was different and didn't look like it had been rehearsed a 100 times before, so it looked like a real sword fight should be.

Saying that however I did appreciate the light sabers glowing in the dark aspect of AOTC.

from locked thread :p

25. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    My favorite lightsaber duel has to be Anakin/Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS. THIS was the duel I waited long years to watch, the duel my best friend and I would roleplay at school (him being Obi-Wan and I being Anakin, of course), and it was the most emotionally charged, the most life-or-death-fate-of-the-galaxy duel in any of the prequel movies. I loved it.

Maul vs. Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan is a VERY close second, though. Reason number 1: Liam Neeson. Duh. Duel of Fates was the best Star Wars soundtrack EVER produced, and you could FEEL how close the battle was. My favorite part, though, is where they all froze for 5 seconds. A little illogical, but it was just quirky enough to be awesome.