main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Yoda stay on Dagobah when Luke went to Cloud City?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kez-Iban, Dec 19, 2012.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yoda didn't believe in Redemption. "Once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny."

I think after he watched Dooku (a padawan he trained and loved) fall to the dark side and then failed to bring him back despite all his efforts, he absolutely gave up on those who had fallen to the dark side.

2. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    how exactly did Yoda try to bring Dooku back?
    And don't mention anything from the EU.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yoda was afraid of heights and the last time he was on Bespin he crashed his ship into Lobot's house.

4. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    The way I see it, Yoda thought Luke running off to Bespin was a reckless move and likely doomed to failure. He stayed back in the hopes that, should Luke fail, there would still be someone to train the "other" Skywalker.

5. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    In Dark Rendezvous Yoda meet with Dooku on Vjun and speaks with him about returning to the Jedi. He came close but failed when Anakin and Obi-Wan showed up and Dooku felt he had been betrayed.

6. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Honestly I just think he was too old and wouldn't have been much help. His knowledge might help someone else but there was no point in him rushing out to die against the Sith.

7. A'den Skirata

A'den Skirata Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    Well, how would he fit in the cockpit with Luke?[face_thinking]

8. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Why would any of you question that? If he was told that Vader was his father, there's a chance he would refuse to fight him. He refused to fight him in Episode VI.

9. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    It depends upon how you look at it. You could look at it and see Obi-Wan as simply desiring the death of Vader. Or... you could look at his disappointment here as understanding how this is going to pan out. Let me expand on that. If Luke is so idealistic about his father and expects to be able to 'save' him then he's going to be sorely upset (Obi-Wan once felt as he did, remember) and when he inevitably does fight Vader it will be through anger. He will confront Vader using anger and hatred he won't simply be 'doing what he must'. The danger to him.... is that the Emperor will win, because if Luke defeats Vader it will be with anger. Pretty much as it pans oout.

10. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    That is a good point. I don't think Yoda would be too pleased at having to sit on Luke's lap the whole way. :p

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He could have sent a bigger ship to pick him up, but I guess he liked his exile home.

12. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    doesn't count if it's only in the EU. Didn't happen. EU is an parallel universe, according to the mighty George the Hutt.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    But not according to the rules of canon.

Darkslayer and ILNP like this.
  14. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    I think by that point he was putting most of his energy into staving off death.

15. OnesionRa

OnesionRa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2012
    "Only a fully trained Jedi Knight could conquer Vader and his Emperor."
    And yet Palps killed 3- 4 with a bit of help - masters and Vader (albeit Pre-Suit) killed about 80% of the Jedi.
    Luke had about a week of training from Obi-Wan (and most of that seemed to be more philosophical and "Jedi mind set" in nature with a BIT of defense in lightsaber combat.) and I suppose about....2-3 months of training with yoda. There is also that pesky little issue of there being about a 3 year gap in any official training, although by the time of hoth luke could use some telekinesis so perhaps he taught himself a bit. Lets be generous and say all together he had 3-1/2 months of OFFICIAL training....a Jedi Knight this does not make lol. Yes Luke WAS a prodigy and later in his life was so strong he was more or less a light GOD but still.

On a side note, I really wish Palps would have done some lightsaber combat in the classic trilogy.

16. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I really doubt that Yoda would consider Anakin as the other hope since he told Obi-wan, "The boy you trained, GONE he is. Consumed by Darth Vader". Yoda had absolutely no hope that Anakin will save the day so it's highly likely that Yoda was talking about Leia being the other hope.

He also defeated Darth Maul by cutting his body in half so "defeat" and "kill" are NOT entirely different.[/quote][/quote]

17. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Yoda and Obi wan depended on Luke, or Leia if he failed, to be the Chosen One after Anakin's turn to the darkside.

18. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think that this thread asks a great question. I agree with those who believe that Yoda realized he was too old for physical battle. If he and Luke faced Vader and lost, then all is lost. Now, imagine, Yoda does go and they do defeat Vader, what then? Palpatine is still alive and now he knows that Yoda is alive. Remember, Palpatine was also defeated by his overconfidence. Palpatine felt he could not be defeated. A Yoda return would have made him more vigilant. I also have a strong suspicion (that will never be confirmed) that Yoda suspected that Luke's presence may reawaken Anakin. Yoda's presence may have enraged Vader, as opposed to eliciting the feelings of familial attachment. When it is all said and done, Yoda likely realized that he would be more effective on Dagobah as a silent unseen weapon.

19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Luke took up all the space in the X-wing. No room for Yoda :p

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    [​IMG]

21. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Does Yoda or Force Ghost Obi Wan ever really even mention Palpatine. It seems like they are always stressing the importance of Luke facing Vader and not the other way aorund. It seems that they should have trained him to face the stronger of the two at the very least. For example Luke was completely taken off guard when Pals used the force lightning. Couldnt of Yoda, you know, said oh yea thats his thing, force lightning??

Bugs me to this day...

22. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Yoda and Obi wan wanted Luke could kill the Emperor, to replace Anakin's role as the Chosen One, after Anakin had fallen to the darkside. I disliked how Luke's training in TESB never emphasized combat with the Force, especially since they wanted him to fight the Emperor; and here's the quote. I edited out the unnecessary parts to focus on this topic.

"Yoda: Stopped they must be. On this all depends. Only a fully trained Jedi Knight with the Force as his ally will conquer Vader and his Emperor. If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did, you will become an agent of evil.
    Obi-Wan: Patience!
    Obi-Wan: If you choose to face Vader, you will do it alone. I cannot interfere.
    Yoda: Strong is Vader. Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.
    Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now matters are worse.
    Obi-Wan: That boy is our last hope.
    Yoda: No. There is another."

What I find even more puzzling is that they expected Leia to face Palpatine.

23. Han Yolo

Mar 7, 2013

Ok yea that makes sense. The Leia thing was always puzzling to me as well. Who would have trained her? If Luke failed with such extensive training, how could she do anything more than him?

Plot HOLES haha I guess its why it is a movie after all.

24. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    I agree with you. In ROTJ, Luke tells Leia, "If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the alliance". That implies that if Luke died, they expected Leia to kill not only Vader, but the Emperor too. And she was never trained or even had a lightsaber!

I don't think Luke failed. Either he chose to sacrifice himself to the Emperor to redeem Anakin or he didn't know about Force lightning. Which brings up even more plot holes about why didn't Obi Wan or Yoda tell him about the lightning.

25. Han Yolo

Mar 7, 2013

Exactly! Such an easy topic to cover espcially when all he has to do (it seems from the prequels) is put his lightsaber up in guard.