main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW bonus material episode discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Mar 11, 2013.

1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    We've all heard the news, Star Wars: The Clone Wars is wrapping up. However, unlike many are quick to assume - the show has not been cancelled outright.

Here's what we know. The Clone Wars is leaving Cartoon Network, and Disney XD will announce their fall lineup Tuesday. There will not be another "full season" of the show, however there will be several more arcs, a rumored 10-12 more episodes, available to us in some way. Whether these are episodes on Disney XD, StarWars.com episodes, TV movies, or included in a special DVD boxset is unknown but will be known soon.

It's sad to see it go, but we're going to have an apparently proper sendoff.

2. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    umm it is cancelled. After those extra story arcs it's finished. Nadda, zilch, zero. No new stuff after that. If that's not cancelled I don't know what is...

3. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    I said "has not been cancelled outright"

And no, it's not a cancellation at all if they're wrapping everything up. The show was always going to end at some point, we're just getting that earlier. Are all television shows that end to move on a cancellation?

4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    In another thread, I likened this situation to what happened with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and ANGEL. Filoni's video statement makes it pretty clear that, although TCW's time as an actively televised series has come to an end, it will continue on in another format. Since they are continuing to actively produce TCW-related content, I think the most likely options are that we'll either see the new content released as a web-based 'miniseres' or as a 'direct to video' feature.

You really need to look up the definition of 'cancelled', my friend. Were the series actually cancelled, all production would be immediately halted and any finished material would be jettisoned as quickly as possible, but Filoni's statement makes it pretty clear that that's not what's happening.

5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Maybe they'll do a Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome and do a web series, TV special, and DVD release.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Arguably the best result we can hope for. Blood and Chrome managed to be better than three quarters of Battlestar Galactica.

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    That's just like your opinion man. Though ok, B&C sure missed an ingredient that made BSG great.

Just saying B&C could have been better.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Many shows that are "cancelled" are given the opportunity to tie things up by a certain time after that cancellation is announced.

9. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Name one show where this has been the case.

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I think that what Blood and Chrome lacked from BSG is what made it better. It was a science fiction action adventure story first and always. It didn't do a 180 turn into pseudo religious mumbo jumbo. I would have liked more sets than green screen, but it was good green screen, and I finally got a decent Viper battle.

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think you missed something from BSG, it didn't do a 180 turn into religion, religion/religious themes had been there since the miniseries/season 1, and began to build across the series from there. But this is becoming off topic here, and i don't want to reveal actual BSG spoilers, if you want to talk about this subject, just PM me :)

12. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The Clone Wars situation actually reminds me of the Futurama direct to DVD movies or when ReBoot was allowed to conclude with two movies (totaling 8 episodes).

I very much doubt the "bonus content" is simply what they had completed up til the decision was made. If that was the case, we wouldn't get episodes that lead to a true conclusion. I think it'll be part what they had completed for season 6, and part planned series ending story arcs that would have appeared in a season 7 or 8 had the series continued to be broadcast on TV.

While I'd love to have 2-3 more seasons, I'm okay with them trimming the fat and focusing on the story arcs that matter to the series as a whole. As long as TCW crew get the opportunity to tell their planned final story arc, I'll be satisfied. Annoyed and p-o'd at Disney, but satisfied as a TCW fan.

X-Files, Futurama (multiple times), 30 Rock, and Parks and Rec come to mind. The latter two getting half-seasons to wrap things up.

StampidHD280pro, KudosDas and V-2 like this.
  13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The Gilmore Girls. 10 seasons planned, cancelled during Season 7. They got to wrap it up and the ending kind of worked, but it was hardly satisfactory.

- If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!
    - Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

/LM

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't this show supposed to have at least 3-4 seasons left, now they are wrapping it up, stupid Disney

15. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Agreed! Its frustrating but satisfying if we get a good conclusion.

dolphin likes this.
  16. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    That's not a cancellation; that's choosing to end the series much earlier than was initially planned.

Here's two examples of actual cancellations: Zero Hour and 666 Park Avenue.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not going to play a game where I try to list out shows. We all know that networks sometimes announce show cancellations mid-season but let the show finish the season, with the expectation established for the production company that they should try to resolve the story line. The difference here is that the CN airing is already done, and now TCW has some unknown length of time to finish up its story line in some yet-to-be-determined medium.

KudosDas and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  18. KeltheDor

KeltheDor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 21, 2011
    I don't see any conclusion being satisfactory if we only get a few episodes from what would have been next season. The issue is that these episodes were likely written and made before an end was expected.

The whole situation is very confusing.

19. KeltheDor

Jan 21, 2011
    Fringe. Check. Mate.

20. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ Don't make a point unless you're willing to back it up. Cancellation means that production on something is immediately halted with no other options available.

Corax78 likes this.
  21. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Fringe wasn't cancelled, as it was allowed 13 episodes to wrap things up.

In most actual cancellation situations, production on a series is just shut down, with no other options available (as I just said above).

22. KeltheDor

Jan 21, 2011
    I don't see that as a definitive definition. You can say that's the way it works, but where are you getting this definition? Besides, if you are really going this route than Angel is another example.

Fringe was given thirteen episodes to wrap itself up before it was taken off the air.

eht13 likes this.
  23. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Cancellation (television) From Wikipedia

In television, cancellation (also known colloquially as axing) refers to the termination of a program by a network, typically (but not always) because of low viewership and/or unfavourable critical reviews. Another reason why television programs can be cancelled is because of conflicts among the show's staff members or to make room for new programming. Shows whose runs end due to a mutual creative decision by its producers and cast (such as Seinfeld or The Sopranos) are not considered to be "cancelled" but rather "concluded" or "ended".

24. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ ANGEL was also allowed to wrap things up. Joss clearly had more stories he wanted to tell, but the series does end on a conclusive note. Joss deliberately ended Not Fade Away the way he did because he was trying to send the message that life goes on even if we don't get to witness it.

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    TCW obviously does not equal Seinfeld or The Sopranos here, guys. You really think Filoni was happy with this direction?

VMeran and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.