main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Ah OK

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The small article detailing Who's return in TV Guide magazine pretty much confirms River's return later in the season. Also, Ice Warriors on a submarine (which I presume would be one of the Gaitiss written eps).

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I thought she was without a doubt confirmed for at least the last episode of the season?

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Not massive news, but Radio 5 Live confirmed that JLC will be in series 8 and that it starts filming in September.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Was she interviewed?

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    From what I understand she was interviewed by Richard Bacon. It should be on iPlayer.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No offense, but I'll wait for BBC proper to confirm it, because Karen and Moffat both said in interviews that Amy and Rory would be in the whole of S7 and... yeah. I'll wait for BBC proper to confirm it.

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    They wouldn't hire a new companion, spin a web of intrigue around her, and then only use her for one half of one series. :p

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh I'm 99% certain she'll be apart of S8. However there's 1% of me that just goes "Moffat lies and those who work for him tend to partake in that deception."

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Then again, the mystery about her ("Remember me" and especially her birth date) could be tied to the 50th anniversary special(s) and culminate with it(them), so there is a chance she'd only stick around for the second half of Series 7 and the anniversary special(s).

13. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    It feels like she's been the new companion for eons. I am already tired of her and she hasn't even started her normal run of episodes.

If they replace her with someone as hot or hotter, I'm fine with it. Just don't hire the actress 30 years before she's scheduled to make her appearance...

ugh

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    They have to hire actors well in advance of screening the TV show so they have time to, you know, make the damn thing. You don't have to consume every little bit of news and publicity for the show, though. If you don't want to know things well in advance of screening, then make that choice and go spoiler free.

For myself, I've only seen her in three Doctor Who episodes and she's been a little different every time, so I'm enjoying piecing it all together. I look forward to getting to know the character more.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Hmm. I might have to agree with you on this issue. Darn it. :p

16. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't consume every bit of news for the show. I read one article about who would be playing the new companion A YEAR AGO.

I think I would have liked it better if they would have hired the actress, started filming a month later, and then released the episodes after 3 months. You know, like the way normal television shows do it.

The problem is that they wanted to introduce her in special episodes in order to tell some silly back-story about how "the new companion is special ooooooh." If history is any indication, this won't have a satisfying payoff.

Once the new companion has been announced, fans are excited to get to know the new character. There is anticipation. By stringing out her introduction, I feel the show has let the fans down (me, at least).

Of course, it's not the end of the world and you don't have to agree with me...

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    BBCA's Third Doctor special will air the day after S7.2 premieres on 3/31. The episode that accompanies it will be Spearhead from Space.

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm playing a (water) drinking game with Classic Who (I'm on the First Doctor). Taking a drink every time the Doctor is particularly useless, every time Susan yells "Grandfather!", and every time Susan is being helpless.

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It's my littlun's birthday today, and this is what happened when he got a Toys R Us giftcard with the Doctor on it. He learns well...

Everton likes this.
  20. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Nice one Hallibut.

So I have just come home from spending my evening in a cinema full of Whovians watching The Impossible Astronaut and Day of The Moon on the big screen!

Perhaps not the best selection of episodes, though the American backdrops did look stunning on a large screen.
    What frustrated me most though was that the episodes still had the mini Amy monologue of "When I was a little girl..." attached before the opening titles as well as the 'next time' previews, meaning we sat there watching the preview for Day of The Moon just before it started playing and then the preview for The Curse of The Black Spot at the very end.

I wish they had cut the episodes together to make one big proper 90 minute story.

One of my friends who runs a Doctor Who club in my area from his Comic Book Store thinks this occasion may be a test run ahead of the 50th Anniversary special as it will be in 3D which would be best viewed at a cinema... An interesting thought and one that has potential I think.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That seems sudden.

23. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Certainly not an announcement you would think would be made just days before the anniversary special starts filming.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Agreed, it does seem sudden just as the 50th anniversary stuff seems to be ramping up.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    A little Eleventh Doctor Story in DWM mag (spoiler tagged because of the slight spoilers and to spare everybody's computers)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]