main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Quality of CGI for VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Blue_Jedi33, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I saw the Star Tour CGI work in person recently. The realism and richness of it blows away anything we saw in the PT.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm really hoping for a lot of CG, but even in the PT some things seemed... off to me. Was it really necessary to make all the clones CG?

Hydro spanner Celt likes this.
  3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Considering that no one in old films made an army of hundreds of clone troopers with practical effects, how else would you suggest doing that?

4. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    True, but they couldn't even get Morrison in a costume for scenes with just one trooper, or have him in one that' talking to Yoda or Mace or someone, then have the rest be CG? And Commander Cody, that just seemed lazy to me...

starmin76 and Episode Swag like this.
  5. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Which scenes... his masked ones make more sense to keep CG. If he was unmasked + they still CGed him then yeah I agree that would be better in suit. I don't know which scenes he was doing with or without.

6. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    CGI for long shots of hundreds of troops is fine and actually works rather well but for close up shots of only a few then nothing matches the realism of real people in real costumes.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's probably easier to match unhelmeted Cody's body to helmeted Cody if they're both CG. Plus, you know, 1 guy? Why are we spending money for literally one costume that'll we'll have to pay extra attention to get to match how he looks in all his other scenes, is how ILM probably looked at it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Just because I think it's a disservice to those at ILM who worked hard on the films, I'd like to remind folks that there's more models and miniature sets in the PT than most people know. I think the lack of general knowledge of this is due either to some who want to just insistently bash the GGI work, or, the model work was done so well, that general audiences can't tell the difference between what is real, what is a model, or what is CGI, which in this case, means ILM really nailed it.

9. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    I do agree, almost any scene can benefit from CGI but the ships really bugged me in the PT....the motion looked odd, and they just looked too "pretty". Especially that chrome looking thing! CGI in movies has made so many things possible and I am in no way against it, and models are just too expensive these days but they need to find the right blend.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everything should be CGI! Even the script and director should be CGI!

Jaren_Valnor likes this.
  11. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    So, all that matters is how it looks? Not the story? CGI makes it look good somehow? No. I disagree. I prefer the organic, lived in, look in the OT. Not piles of CGI making it look cartoony.

Just because is it 2013 doesn't mean everything has to change. I'd prefer they use models like they did in the OT.

12. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    They used models in the PT, too.

Anyway, I don't think we should be going totally old time on this. We need heavy usage of CGI from my POV, but when real props, costumes, objects, etc can pull it off, go for those if possible. Just my opinion.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I want them to film it in Nostalgia-vision... so fans such as DarthVengeant won't notice the glaring technical blunders in it. The OT was filmed in Nostalgia-vision, which is why the completely primitive FX in those films don't bother anyone.

What boxes around tie fighters? All I can see is the face of God when I watch these monuments to cinematic perfection.

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
  14. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm going to repeat what someone else said which is really really really important:

"general audiences can't tell the difference between what is real, what is a model, or what is CGI"

Yeah you can tell some obvious things - creatures, armies. But I 100% bet that you can't tell most of what's done in CG - because most CG is done REALLY well. And the reason why they do a lot in cg that you'd call unnecessary? Fantasy. You think we have the same metals and cloths etc. on earth that exist in star wars? Would you like everything to look like it's a prop on stage on Earth or that it belongs in another galaxy?

I think a lot of you are confusing CG with just bad CG, and labeling it all under the same thing.

15. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    Disney has the resources to bring us the greatest CGI accomplishment to date when VII is released. I don't know if anyone remembers, but the CGI in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 was amazing. Davy Jones' face is still some of the greatest CG I've ever seen period. I have complete faith that Disney will not beat around the bush with the CG quality.

16. Hydro spanner Celt

Hydro spanner Celt Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    Back in 1977 we were aware of the boxes around the tie fighters , you lived with it and made an exception for it as it was still breath taking at the time and ground breaking. The CGI in the prequels AOTC in particular was inconsistent and sloppy at times compared to other movies of the time ( which as a fan I hate to admit ) Nostalgia-vision as you put it has nothing to do with it.

17. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Dude when did I say that??? I just said that you shouldn't worry about the CGI looking bad on 2015 and later. They'll use props and heavily incorporate CGI. Not sure where you got 'the story doesn't matter' from.

I meant the movie will be the best looking in terms of CGI, environments, special effects, etc because of the improved technology. Not hard to grasp.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I guarantee you that if the movie only used the techniques used in 1977, 1980, and 1983, people would say it looked cheap or "fake" or whatever people like to call it. That's not STAR WARS. STAR WARS has always been cutting edge. It's also why the look of the movies continues to look good: Lucasfilm didn't use anything that was inadequate and set Hoth in glacier, Endor in a forest. They didn't say the heck with it and make anything look like The Last Starfighter simply because the technology was there yet primitive (and I like that film's look because it forms its identity, as if Alex Rogan goes to the video game universe of the video game he plays, like in a Tron kind of way.)
    The movies would also cost more to make using those techniques now. People really don't know what they are asking for when they say "I want them to be like they were in the OT." The visual effects weren't the only factor that thrilled you then yet you're acting like that's all it takes.
    Clonetroopers looked really good, but that's been discussed.
    The Star Trek movie looks good, but it had obvious real world stuff in its sets, BUT, that's Star Trek. It takes place in a universe with Earth anyway, even if it's a future Earth. I don't want that with STAR WARS. The real locations in Episodes One through Six worked oddly enough because they were places that were exotic to most of the world or centuries old.
    Remember when "behind-the-scenes" stuff was something you rarely saw and a weird treat when you did? Now in the DVD age (parallel with the start of the Special Editions) of bonus features and commentaries, everyone is savvy and pseudo-savvy about the makings of movies. Most of the CGI stuff would get overlooked by people if they didn't get the details thrown in their faces now. I recall how Robert Zemeckis wouldn't reveal everything in a Making of Back to the Future Part II special in 1989, even fooling everyone into thinking hoverboards were real and had been around for years but "parent groups" kept them off store shelves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.