main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Which begs the question: why would someone smack Waru's side, and in what context? Sounds kinky.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Kinky it may sound, but as we know from the discussion in the diversity thread, kinky it is not because humans and non-humans do not do kinky things.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It also goes straight to his pleasure center.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Would we not be taking matters into our own hands by denying their insane ideas?

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    well.. touch his holyness and it absorbs you... slap him.. and he absorbs you and is aroused?

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Which does make sense, considering much (if not all) of the displeasure seems to come without even watching the episodes [face_mischief]

7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    That's too easy. Embrace the challenge, man.

8. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I vote for B; at least it supplies a story hook to run with and minimizes ripple effects elsewhere (theoretically).

9. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Ryloth was, at some point, tidally locked, I don't believe there's any way around it. The "3 wise monkeys" approach to continuity that Mr. Chee and the other Lucasfilm employees seem to have adopted doesn't really work. Either you send something into the Infinities dustbin, or you do a proper retcon. Pretending that something never happened shouldn't be an option -- alas, it is, which is frankly a tad insulting.

So, since the tidal locking must be incorporated for the purposes of our discussion, I believe an astronomical explanation minimizes ripple effects more effectively than the other options. In astronomical timescales, a planet can be at different times tidally locked and rotating Earth-style, which, to my eyes, renders an artificial explanation redundant.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Pants, etc.

Well, it is kind of like if someone said: "How do we sneak into this base and assassinate so and so."

And you are like "let's nuke it from orbit."

It works, but where is the fun in that?

11. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    What if Ryloth is spinning and the non spinning was just rumor. However, is there a scientific way to have it so the spinning speed changes? Like have the sun changing it gravitational pull by maybe having less mass at one part of that sun? If so, what if it is that it spins slowly while on the burning side (which is why it's burning. Been cooked basically) while spinning faster while on the ice side (which is why it's the ice side. It doesn't stay in the heat of the sun long enough for it all to melt. Maybe the ice just waxes and wains?

However, we need to find out if in the YJK stories if there was a day time and if there wasn't how long they were there for. Becaude maybe they weren't on the planet long enough for it to fully rotate.

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    YJK they were onplanet for several days.. especially in the icecave scenes for many hours up to days

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's looking like 6 votes for A, 3 for B, 2 for C. Anyone else want to speak up?

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I vote for A, but I agree with Valin__Kenobi that B has more storytelling potential, even if it's unlikely to get utilized.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...which is more to the point at this juncture, I think.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    As in there was a rotating cycle between day and night? Or days as in 24 hours+

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, I guess put me down for B then.

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    no rotation

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I meant that in the other direction. :p

Meaning story hooks are great, but at this point I'd rather have something remotely sensible that can sit there peacefully than a plot bunny left to die.

20. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I'll start pounding the table with my tankard, shouting "A.)! A.)! A.)!" Feel free to join in until our boisterous chant fills the mead-hall.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    CooperTFN oh. Well then, ignore my previous post :p

22. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    A. B smacks me too much of Anderson. C doesn't have the cleverness of the other two.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    since A is on the winning run... I wonder how long it takes Coop to change the topic finally :p

we need to keep going forward after all till the next wave of continuity issues rolls over us

24. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I vote for A

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    A +

+ 1 vote that is.