main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will this new Trilogy be a precursor to another Prequel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Immortiss, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Just some thoughts on what I would like to see in the new movies.

I would like to see the original cast in a larger ensemble. I hope that this next trilogy is Episodes X, XI, and XII. And that Luke and Leia have been training Jedi and building up the Second Galactic Republic. Going on diplomatic missions and securing the peace. All the while the Skywalker family has a dark past and the sons and daughters are jealous of each other for whatever reason, and this creates a rift in the family.

Luke could have a niece or nephew he identifies with and has trouble identifying with his own son/daughter, who is tempted, out of jealousy, to the dark side. So like Luke had to save his father, now he has to save his son. It would be great because they could throw a lot of stuff in there that would make the audience want to know what happened before, or after ROTJ, to Luke. He could have a dark past, like in the Zahn books, and troubles that his own son throws in his face, like, dad you're a hypocrite. It would be Episodes I-XII an entire Skywalker, generational, family saga!
    Then, they could do VII, VIII and IX as a prequel to that. Recast the principle characters in a prequel trilogy reboot. Perhaps the Thrawn Trilogy. They could start with a standalone movie...Shadows of the Empire!!! Then you would have four movies with an new original cast playing Luke, Leia, and Han!
    This plan makes sense to me since Lucasfilm has already done this with Episodes I-VI. In fact it's their entire business model! I've almost convinced myself this is what they're planning to do, because Disney would easily make their money back and more! Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
  3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The very first official thing done about the new movie was referring to it as Episode VII. Next?

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Hmmm, prequal bashing/reboot whining mixed in with EU denial - someone really needs to read the forms first before starting a new thread.

Might not be a bad idea to have the Uber top post sticky: Welcome to the TF.M EVII and Beyond Forms, READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING! With a link to the WNU form as well as a few etiquette points. 1) Not everyone reads or even likes the EU. 2) Not everyone who post here dislikes the Prequals, and in any case, they will NOT be remade. 3) Read through a few threads first, what you propose may have already been said over, and over. AS you will see, although the announcement of the new films is recent - the boards and its inhabitants have been here a while, and can get grouchy really quick.

5. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    What would you call a prequel to One? Zero? Negative One? Not seven, if elementary school taught me anything it is that seven comes after six

6. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I think that a lot of people will be disappointed by the new trilogy because they will not get the story that they have already invented in their head.

7. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Sums up a lot of prequel hate IMHO.

8. Darthchrontis

Darthchrontis Jedi Padawan

Feb 25, 2013
    Sums up the problem with most sci-fi sequels/prequels.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  9. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
  10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001

DarthBreezy likes this.
  11. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    To elaborate on the 'business model', not only could they do X, XI, and XII first, they could also do each of those out of order, and then each of the 'new' prequels out of order. So, we would get eps: XI, then its prequel X then its sequel XII, to be followed by VIII, its prequel VII and its sequel IX.

Seriously though - the only reason we had 4-6 then 1-3 is because Lucas wanted to start the original film in the middle of the action, and in the middle of a bigger story. No need to do that twice, we are still being told the rest of that bigger story.

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    It's happened before... no doubt history will repeat itself there

But anyway, the OP thinks EPVII is really EPX and we'll get the real EPVII at a later date, which will then force a reboot of the original prequel trilogy and I'm guessing the original original trilogy.

Nailed it! I can't believe I couldn't see that that was Disney's plan all along!

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

16. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm only suggesting that the fans are going to want to know what happened in the 30-40 years between ROTJ and what is now being called EP.VII. Why not make two trilogies? The actors are quite old now and this will be the end of the road for these characters. Also, it would be sweet to be able to recreate the mystery between these two trilogies, not unlike the mystery the OT and the Prequels. That is if Luke is a character much like Old Ben was. The stories will need to be told regardless. Lucas himself said 9 to 12 films. And the creative process has never been set in stone. It has always been fluid, that is changes made as he went along. Disney wants to make its money back. Lucas suggested making SW for the next 100 years. They will reboot eventually with new actors.

Disney acquired all of Lucasfilm, and whether you like the EU our not, they will most likely make live action film out of them. Let's just hope they are good stories.

17. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Wrong thread. sorry. Move along.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    so you're asking will these sequels be precursors to more prequels? Or whether a new prequel would be a sequel to the prequels or prequels even to the prequels, which would make them prequel-prequels. Or would they be prequels to the sequels but set after the OT, which would make them both prequels AND sequels? [face_hypnotized]

19. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Or somewhere between Episode I - II - III, so a prequel and a sequel?

On a side note, anyone else notice just how weird the words sequel and prequel look?

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Why would Disney deliberately make movies out of order?

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    [face_laugh][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_laugh]

Thanks, I needed that...

22. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    The original actors are now old enough to play 30 years after ROFJ, but not 3 to 5 years after. If you make EPI X, XI, and XII first, a writer could build the mystery, a back story, into these next three episodes to connect EPI. VII, VIII and IX, which is what Lucas did in the OT. In reality, the writer could thread all 12 Episodes in to a great Skywalker Family saga. Lucas dropped us into this universe, as if we needed to catch up to what was happening. The audience began asking questions about the Clone Wars and Captain Antilles and it was fantastic. Now the audience can wonder what happened to Luke immediately after ROTJ.

I have never read EU. However, Shadows of the Empire sounds interesting, only because it was originally marketed by Lucasfilm exactly like a film release, without the film. It could easily be a standalone, and I'm almost positive that Disney will utilize the material. Lucas himself stated that if he had had the time and inclination, he would have made it, why wouldn't Disney? I'm not saying it's great or advocating it, just speculating on what Disney will do with everything they have just bought. Why wouldn't they make the Zahn books? There's a market and the story's ready to go. As Michael Corleone said to his older brother in The Godfather, 'It's business, Sonny, not personal'.

Also, if I know Lucas, the problem in the new story would be the inverse of the Son saves Father (OT)...Father saves Son (or Daughter) NT. Plausible.

Lucasfilm could easily be telling us EPI VII is on its way, it's logical to outsiders, and then pop out with, hey check it out it's not EPI VII, but EPI X...remember 'Blue Harvest"? Fans would be like, wow...we're going to see one more Skywalker Trilogy. They would have to recast the actors, though and that might look a little out of place.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Just no? No to everything? No to Disney? No to me? I'm new here, man. Give me a little more than that....thanks for reading.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003